Pet Peeve - Logging Off

Closed Thread
Old 11-22-2022, 08:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,586 Times in 5,184 Posts
Default Pet Peeve - Logging Off

I have been on several websites where there is a selection that says "log off". This includes financial websites. But, when you click on the log off icon, apparently, it doesn't log you off. Rather, it takes you to another website that asks you, "are you sure you want to log off?" To me, this is a security issue. I thought I logged off, but I didn't. Hogwash. If you have an icon to log off, then it should log you off. Period. Am I correct? End of rant.
Old 11-22-2022, 08:10 PM

Totally agree. And then they want a reason for deleting the website or a survey.
Old 11-22-2022, 08:59 PM
Platinum member

No, you are not correct. Your rant is about nothing
Old 11-22-2022, 09:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,027 Times in 2,726 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I have been on several websites where there is a selection that says "log off". This includes financial websites. But, when you click on the log off icon, apparently, it doesn't log you off. Rather, it takes you to another website that asks you, "are you sure you want to log off?" To me, this is a security issue. I thought I logged off, but I didn't. Hogwash. If you have an icon to log off, then it should log you off. Period. Am I correct? End of rant.
You are correct! To add to the rant, I hate it when you click play on a YouTube video and an advertisement comes up with a button that says click here to skip the add, but you click the button multiple times and the the add won’t go away until it’s over, making you wait to watch the video. Also, I hate it when you click a link to go to a web page and then when you want to go back to the original page that contained the link you hit the back button on the web browser but it won’t go back and instead redirects you to some advertisement you don’t want to see.
Old 11-22-2022, 10:41 PM

Can't tell you how many remove links on emails DON'T WORK. To remove they want to run dangerous scripts on your machine. The law should require 'REMOVE' to be simple html code. PERIOD.
Old 11-22-2022, 10:42 PM

Hey I got Chromium on my desktop with linux. The ad blocker is 100% effective at blocking the You Tube ads. It amazes me.
Adblock Plus.
Old 11-23-2022, 07:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,647 Times in 1,524 Posts

I use Brave. It not only blocks ads and trackers but has a running tally on the home screen showing how many it blocks.
Old 11-23-2022, 07:38 AM

This is just like when you hit the delete button. It's to protect yourself from yourself in case you didn't mean to click the Logoff button or the delete button when deleting files. I agree it's a pain, but I understand it...
Old 11-23-2022, 11:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,432 Times in 3,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
You are correct! To add to the rant, I hate it when you click play on a YouTube video and an advertisement comes up with a button that says click here to skip the add, but you click the button multiple times and the the add won’t go away until it’s over, making you wait to watch the video. Also, I hate it when you click a link to go to a web page and then when you want to go back to the original page that contained the link you hit the back button on the web browser but it won’t go back and instead redirects you to some advertisement you don’t want to see.
That has nothing to do with youtube and everything to do with your browser settings (which you, personally, have to set or leave to default).
Old 11-24-2022, 06:44 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,135 Times in 880 Posts

My banking doesn't have the double log off, which I wouldn't mind. What I don't like is that mine logs me off after a certain time for 'security reasons'. That ****ES ME OFF. I feel I have to hurry to do all my banking (lots to check with receipts for checking, visa, debit and also 3 investment accounts).
Old 11-24-2022, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
You must be very bored to write this.
Old 11-24-2022, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
get adblockplus for whatever browser you are using and that youtube ad nonsense will be done. Haven't seen an ad on youtube in years with this blocker.
Old 11-24-2022, 08:26 AM
Default It's there because of people

1- Regarding the comment about being asked if you really want to log off: It isn't a different website, it is a different page or popup window of the same website asking if you really want to log off. It is NOT a security issue to ask if you meant to do something. Lots of people click without reading and log themselves off without meaning to or before a transaction is submitted.

FYI - Click the "Log Out" link at the top of this page (you do log out when done on this website...don't you?). There is a window that pops up and asks you if you really want to... Or I suppose you can leave the "Remember Me" box checked that so many sites have too, but why would you do that?

2 - The person who is upset that a website logs them off after a period of time? That is done after a period of inactivity normally. There are still people that will leave themselves logged onto important sites and walk away leaving it there for anyone, including hackers, to poke around. THAT is a security issue. If you think it logs you off too quickly, check the website settings after you log into the site or call their customer service and ask if it can be extended...likely the answer is, "no".

3 - On YouTube - the "Skip Ad" button is inactive for an amount of time. If you do not have a premium YouTube account where you pay, then you get ads. YouTube does not require you to watch the entire ad, just part of it, then the button becomes active. Google is in it for the money like every other company on the planet.

Last edited by cphague; 11-24-2022 at 08:39 AM.
Old 11-24-2022, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
My banking doesn't have the double log off, which I wouldn't mind. What I don't like is that mine logs me off after a certain time for 'security reasons'. That ****ES ME OFF. I feel I have to hurry to do all my banking (lots to check with receipts for checking, visa, debit and also 3 investment accounts).
I believe as long as you’re active on the site, it will not log you out. In other words, simply scrolling or clicking should prevent you from getting tossed out.
Old 11-24-2022, 11:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,244 Times in 4,279 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken D. View Post
I believe as long as you’re active on the site, it will not log you out. In other words, simply scrolling or clicking should prevent you from getting tossed out.
Correct. It's only when you have passed a specific amount of "inactive time" that they log you out...

-Tom Petty
Closed Thread

Tags
log, websites, icon, security, issue

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.