Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Pet peeves on words (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/pet-peeves-words-11101/)

Boomer 01-02-2008 02:36 AM

Re: Pet peeves on words

And what's with regime being used where it should be regimen. On some tv show the other night, I could swear I heard Dr. Oz say something about an exercise regime. Has all that celebrity power gone completely to his head?

BB

punkpup 01-02-2008 02:52 AM

Yep Boomer BeBack, that is definitely another one of the worst mistakes, which I've seen written misteaks all be it rarely.

zcaveman 01-02-2008 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Kimosabe? This was a word entirely made up by Jay Silverheels. And I (and some others it may seem) are sounding like Andy Rooney. Sheesh.

Kimo sabe - I know there are some good jokes out there for Kimo sabe!

Taltarzac 01-02-2008 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boomer BeBack
The Lake Superior State University 2008 List of Banished Words is now online.

And a phrase I used in a post the other day is on it - perfect storm - I'm sorry.

Here's a link so people do not have to Google it. http://www.lssu.edu/banished/current.php

Susi1356 01-02-2008 11:15 PM

Uh oh--don't get me started...

Among my favorites is "nuclear" pronounced "nucular" (as do too many of our esteemed national leaders)!

I also struggle with the apparently acceptable practice of using "their" with a singular antecedent (e.g., The student took their book to class). I know the practice began with an effort to avoid using "he" or "his" as a general pronoun to refer to both genders, but it makes me cringe.

Kids some up with some cute combinations though--when our Sarah was 2, she coined "hunormous," and we still use that one!

Hyacinth Bucket 01-02-2008 11:58 PM

My husband was an English Professor and I know he has numerous pet peeves in this area.

The ones that I know upset him more than others are; misspellings and other grammatical errors in college text books and other literature, teachers who can not spell or write grammatically correct sentences, and the list goes on.

I must admit, I do not like to show him anything I write. I sometimes cringe, perhaps he cringes more when I ask him to proof read an article.

HB

carole131 01-05-2008 10:52 PM

There are several cliche' phrases & remarks: among them, "That said," & "Arguably". Also, when, "so", is interjected to fill in, after making a statement.

funnygirl 01-06-2008 01:32 AM

:joke... "Gone missing"..... Just can't stand that phrase.

nONIE 01-06-2008 01:36 AM

funnygirl,
:agree: :agree: :agree: When the heck did that come into the english language? Its like fingernails on a blackboard to me!!

Sgt Mac 01-06-2008 01:41 AM

Yo, Ax um

Hyacinth Bucket 01-06-2008 03:27 AM

I find some of the words that describe when someone dies a bit much.

HB

kathy and al 01-06-2008 05:36 PM

Absolute worst is "you know" and even worse than that is "I mean".
Listen closely to people who are excellent speakers ( politicians, sales
people, etc.) and count the number of times that they start their
conversation with "I mean"???????????????
It will amaze you - and I just don't get the reason why the phrase is
so wide spread!!!!!

Hyacinth Bucket 01-06-2008 05:47 PM

Kathy and Al,

I did not realize so many politicians use that saying - then I got to thinking,

I mean, if I tried to start thinking about it - or was it

I mean, what I say - or was it

I mean to remind you - that I mean to remind you is, is what I mean.

I think it would be fun to start a thread with the subject line "I mean ...."

fill in the blank.

I mean the above and believe me I mean it when I say I mean it!

HB

The Great Fumar 01-06-2008 09:44 PM

OK zcaveman...
I didn't want to say this in mixed company but......

KIMO SABE means MEATHEAD.....

the lone fumar

Barefoot 01-07-2008 07:21 PM

The term "taking a decision" instead of "making a decision". We used to make decisions. I guess now they are lying around just waiting to be picked up. :dontknow:.