Phone BEWARE...calls about suspending your social security

Closed Thread
Old 01-23-2020, 03:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default Phone BEWARE...calls about suspending your social security

We have received a call every day this week...a recording...stating one's social security card has been suspended.

Then the dribble about why you should call them to fix it.

We hang up as soon as the recording starts.

Do not fall for this scam. SS will not be contacting folks by phone.
HANG UP!
Old 01-25-2020, 12:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Amazon scam going around also. Saying you account has been hacked call this number which is California scam number. Also business says there going out of business and you have refund. So many phishing calls. I won’t answer the phone unless I know who it is. I figure is it’s important or they want to talk to me they will leave messages, so far all been scams 15 times a day.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:37 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 938 Posts

Thank you for posting this warning to those who may be vulerable.
Old 01-26-2020, 09:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,467 Times in 3,092 Posts

#1 tip for people who answer phones from numbers they don't recognize (or who don't have caller ID):

Do not say the word "YES" in ANY of the conversation until you are 100% satisfied that the person at the other end is someone you actually want to talk to.

There are robo-calls that will record your "yes" and then apply YOUR recorded voice to questions such as "are you authorizing ScamFraud LLC to automatically withdraw $40,000 from your savings account at CitiBank?" and "I am asking a second time, for verification. Are you authorizing ScamFraudLLC to ...."

People have been scammed out of millions, combined, around the country for this. So - you can reduce your chances of being scammed significantly if you never say the word "yes" over the phone to people you don't know.

If they say "is this Sue Smith?" and that's your name, you say "Who's asking please?"
or "I'm Sue." or "Sue's not here right now."

If they say "Can you please verify that your account at CitiBank ends in 9411?" If they ask this - tell them you have food burning on the stove and you'll call them right back. And then, call CitiBank using the phone number listed on your recent statement, and ask THEM if they called you.
Old 01-29-2020, 10:13 PM

The communications industry in this country has been taken over by scammers and robocallers. At least 80% of the calls we receive are junk. Most areas have 1 land line provider available. Ours is CenturyLink and their equipment does not support NoMoRoBo. Mind boggling. The FCC is useless.
Old 01-29-2020, 11:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob47 View Post
The communications industry in this country has been taken over by scammers and robocallers. At least 80% of the calls we receive are junk. Most areas have 1 land line provider available. Ours is CenturyLink and their equipment does not support NoMoRoBo. Mind boggling. The FCC is useless.
And who providing them with blocks of hundreds of 8## numbers ? All about the cash. Politicians are greased by lobbyist so nothing concrete gets done.
Old 01-30-2020, 01:58 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts
Default Play it again, Boomer

I thought this might be a good place to recycle this thread discussing the book Scam Me If You Can. Seniors are often thought to be sitting ducks, in the crosshairs of scammers.

If you did not see this information on the first go-round -- and you are interested -- here it is:

Scam Me If You Can
Old 01-30-2020, 04:54 PM
Sage

Got apple scam email today, says Apple ID blocked. DON’T fall for this and push the verify bottom provided. It’s scam to steal you Apple ID and anything you do on apple 🍎.

Last edited by Topspinmo; 02-01-2020 at 12:01 PM.
Old 02-01-2020, 12:00 PM
Sage

Another apple account scam this morning. Got email said thank you for buying apple phone 📱 for $1000.00. I don’t have Apple Pay account. Don’t click on the bait at bottom that says to cancel this order within 48 hours click on lighted area. That’s were they ask for all you’re information and scam you. If you want to make sure it’s scam, call you credit card company on the back of you’re credit card to make sure it wasn’t charged and if you have Apple account call Apple. BUT DO NOT click on the bait in the email. I repeat do not click on the email bait.
Old 02-01-2020, 12:10 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
#1 tip for people who answer phones from numbers they don't recognize (or who don't have caller ID):

Do not say the word "YES" in ANY of the conversation until you are 100% satisfied that the person at the other end is someone you actually want to talk to.

There are robo-calls that will record your "yes" and then apply YOUR recorded voice to questions such as "are you authorizing ScamFraud LLC to automatically withdraw $40,000 from your savings account at CitiBank?" and "I am asking a second time, for verification. Are you authorizing ScamFraudLLC to ...."

People have been scammed out of millions, combined, around the country for this. So - you can reduce your chances of being scammed significantly if you never say the word "yes" over the phone to people you don't know.

If they say "is this Sue Smith?" and that's your name, you say "Who's asking please?"
or "I'm Sue." or "Sue's not here right now."

If they say "Can you please verify that your account at CitiBank ends in 9411?" If they ask this - tell them you have food burning on the stove and you'll call them right back. And then, call CitiBank using the phone number listed on your recent statement, and ask THEM if they called you.
Good advice. On the last one, I would simply hang up or tell them that I will call the company and check for a problem personally because I don't deal with third party calls.

When they ask if I am Yvonne, I just ask them, "What can I do for you, or what do you need?" NEVER say YES!

As for caller ID, I cannot tell you the number of times I have called myself. I show up on my caller ID. How legitimate do you think THOSE calls are?
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Closed Thread

Tags
phone, recording, call, security, social

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.