Phone Calls at 4:00 This Morning

Closed Thread
Old 04-17-2021, 09:55 AM
Default Why do folk have land lines these days

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
yikes. A simple question by the OP, and a simple response by me - elicits these type of rsps?>>

First - so judgmental...

1. Again TWO phone calls at 4AM and just after.
2. We have ALWAYS received ALERTS via text or call our cells - NEVER Landline. Did THIS go out via text or cell - NOT to ours.
3. We don't live anywhere near the the missing person location - so him walking to our door and knocking...?
4. Did YOU folks receive the calls then???
5. We have a landline simply because we CAN, at no cost. Another means of comm.

...it's so simple to sit behind an anonymous naysayer keyboard.

------------------------------------
So, the alert should have gone out after some of you have read the paper, watched the news on TV, and had your morning coffee? If you don't want to be bothered with an alert about a senior potentially in a life threatening situation because the timing is bad for you, Unsubscribe!!!

It seems the person in question should have wandered away at a more convenient time, for you anyway.

An alert is not for search and rescue, It’s A BEWARE notification, in case this person comes to your door.

Of course what if it was your spouse that they would be searching for, then would a 3am call be OK.

It’s a simple thing if you don’t want to be notified of an issue then unsubscribe, it’s simple to do. To think things only happen from 10a to 4pm should be in a comedy act.

Sleep peacefully, without notification you will never know something is wrong

Why do people have land lines these days?

Very well said. Did not like getting the call but if the guy comes to your door you will know what is going on.

Anyone registered for emergency notifications with Sumter County received calls
How sad, a person is ill and wanders away, ( could be you or your relative) and most are annoyed because they got interrupted sleep.

Many have Land lines as they are included with the Website and TV Cable. Some of us dont want a phone growing out from our ear, to talk while we drive, or the expense of buying one to load with Apps, and all our personal info that can get stolen in a flash. Some folk manage well without all the modern "Gizmo's" that some cant live without. Others actually talk to people face to face, what a novelty, and also hold a sensible conversation.
Old 04-17-2021, 09:58 AM
Default Alert

Most middle of the night alerts are to warn you NOT to go outside, because something is happening in your neighborhood...and to keep your doors locked. Better to error on the side of caution and put the alert out there.
Old 04-17-2021, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Apple View Post
I'm more intrigued that people still have landlines.
Without a land line you cannot be found. Even someone living 3 doors down could not be located in the villages phone book because of. No land line. I had to walk down there and give them the news. Their answer...we don’t want to be found.
Old 04-17-2021, 11:51 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud1949 View Post
How sad, a person is ill and wanders away, ( could be you or your relative) and most are annoyed because they got interrupted sleep.

Many have Land lines as they are included with the Website and TV Cable. Some of us dont want a phone growing out from our ear, to talk while we drive, or the expense of buying one to load with Apps, and all our personal info that can get stolen in a flash. Some folk manage well without all the modern "Gizmo's" that some cant live without. Others actually talk to people face to face, what a novelty, and also hold a sensible conversation.
I will AGAIN ask this question of those who had replied negatively as you. WERE YOU AWAKENED at 4AM???

None of you had ever answered that, so truly - this matter does not apply, other than the continual naysaying behind that keyboard.

I've had it with some here...
Old 04-17-2021, 12:04 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,780 Times in 728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
So, the alert should have gone out after some of you have read the paper, watched the news on TV, and had your morning coffee? If you don't want to be bothered with an alert about a senior potentially in a life threatening situation because the timing is bad for you, Unsubscribe!!!

We’re curious as to how they got our cellphone number and permission to use it in the first place. We don’t remember signing up for silver alerts.

Anyway, we didn’t see him up north at 3:00 am and we doubt many seniors in TV were up at 4:00 am to come across this individual. A warning at 6:00 am would have arguably, been more appropriate.
Old 04-17-2021, 12:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,036 Times in 5,328 Posts

Quote:
I will AGAIN ask this question of those who had replied negatively as you. WERE YOU AWAKENED at 4AM???

None of you had ever answered that, so truly - this matter does not apply, other than the continual naysaying behind that keyboard.

I've had it with some here...
We were awaken twice by the land line and twice each by cell.

Actually once each by the cell as after the first time put the phones on the other side of the house.

Not happy to be woken in the middle of the night but understand the reason why.
Old 04-17-2021, 01:33 PM
Default living in an opt-in world

We live in a Big Brother world today. Willing to bet that this is ALL-IN, and you have to jump through hurdles to opt-out. So the minute they built the 'feature' everyone was added to 'the govt list', and maybe you can opt-out.
Old 04-17-2021, 01:39 PM
Default Landlines

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Apple View Post
I'm more intrigued that people still have landlines.
Because it is a more reliable source if calling 911....... simple as that !!!
Old 04-17-2021, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyephan View Post
We got calls on our landline, cell phones and text messages at 3:47 this morning. Voice mail on phones and recording on landline were a notice of a male missing from Sumter Grand with instructions to call 911 or Sumter County Sheriffs office. We got calls again at 4:07 with update that he has dementia and cannot communicate. Sure hope they found him. Not sure why we were contacted at all let alone in the middle of the night on three different phones with different numbers. Pretty scary to have the phone ring in the middle of the night when my MIL is 95 and she has health issues. Did anyone else get these calls?
I had signed up for AlertSumter a few years ago and had forgotten about it. There is a good chance that those who got automated phone calls in the middle of the night because they has signed up for AlertSumter. You can modify your info and/or opt-out.

Welcome to Sumter County, FL
Old 04-17-2021, 03:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,900 Times in 2,442 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyephan View Post
We got calls on our landline, cell phones and text messages at 3:47 this morning. Voice mail on phones and recording on landline were a notice of a male missing from Sumter Grand with instructions to call 911 or Sumter County Sheriffs office. We got calls again at 4:07 with update that he has dementia and cannot communicate. Sure hope they found him. Not sure why we were contacted at all let alone in the middle of the night on three different phones with different numbers. Pretty scary to have the phone ring in the middle of the night when my MIL is 95 and she has health issues. Did anyone else get these calls?
Nope, need get rid of the landline 📞. All you get on them are scam calls.
Old 04-17-2021, 03:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,900 Times in 2,442 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inexes@aol.com View Post
Because it is a more reliable source if calling 911....... simple as that !!!
Just get new number in area code you live in.
Old 04-17-2021, 05:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
You may find it interesting that I don't have a cellphone.
I have to admit Barefoot that you are the first person I've heard report No Cell Phone Since Well Since FOREVER!
Old 04-17-2021, 06:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,036 Times in 5,328 Posts

If someone wants to list their number the new committee would be happy to call in the middle of the night to say hi.
Old 04-18-2021, 06:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
I have to admit Barefoot that you are the first person I've heard report No Cell Phone Since Well Since FOREVER!
My next door neighbor doesn't have one either. Just a landline. I didn't have one until around 7 years ago when hubby insisted I get a flip-phone just so I could call out in case of emergency. I think I actually USED the darned thing 2-3 dozen times in the 3 years I owned it, and never learned the number. Mostly it was to ask hubby what he wanted me to bring home for supper on my way home from work.

Back on topic:

I turn my cell phone off at bedtime. So I don't get ANY alerts after 11pm. It's a simple solution.

I figure - if my sister's house burns down, it won't burn down any slower if she's able to call and tell me about it at 3 in the morning. If a relative dies, they won't stop being dead just because no one can reach me at 4AM. If MY house is burning down, I don't need someone to call me and tell me. I'll be experiencing it first-hand.

There is no emergency so great that I have to be woken up at 4 in the morning to find out about it, that won't keep until I get up 3 hours later.
Old 04-18-2021, 07:10 AM
Default Foul language

Quote:
we did too, GD it! Yep scared the s out. She answered and said something about a missing person.

All I can say is WTF??? Who in their right mind would feel that a (supposed) mass call to homes at THAT hour would be helpful re that. Only to our landline...not cell or text.

I feel the only reason for a call at that hour is from Comm Watch re 'your garage door open'. Or Chinese bombers on the way. Or neighbor calling that your house is flaming.

C'mon folks --- whoever decided to alert as that - common sense.
Apparently you can’t respond without the gutter language.
Closed Thread

Tags
calls, phones, phone, middle, night

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.