Plant trees to offset your carbon footprint

Closed Thread
Old 07-13-2021, 04:04 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts
Default Plant trees to offset your carbon footprint

For those that care and want to help, I heard about this today. I have not had time to research any of the many companies offering this service - so, buyer beware. But, it sounds like a great way for individuals to help.

If you boo-hoo the idea, that is fine, I am not trying to start an argument, just passing on something I found interesting to anyone else that might be interested.

Carbon Forest.org
Old 07-13-2021, 04:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
For those that care and want to help, I heard about this today. I have not had time to research any of the many companies offering this service - so, buyer beware. But, it sounds like a great way for individuals to help.

If you boo-hoo the idea, that is fine, I am not trying to start an argument, just passing on something I found interesting to anyone else that might be interested.

Carbon Forest.org
Alternatively, learn to play golf! Each golf course provides oxygen for 6-8000 people, and does so by removing CO2 from the atmosphere and turning it into O2 and C6H12O6(glucose). But courses, especially private clubs are closing and getting paved over for housing and stores. So do your part to reduce the carbon footprint! Learn to play and join a private club!
Old 07-13-2021, 04:38 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Alternatively, learn to play golf! Each golf course provides oxygen for 6-8000 people, and does so by removing CO2 from the atmosphere and turning it into O2 and C6H12O6(glucose). But courses, especially private clubs are closing and getting paved over for housing and stores. So do your part to reduce the carbon footprint! Learn to play and join a private club!
Thank you, that is cool. The good news is we can do both -

Here is a link to a study on the topic (Golf Course sequestration of CO2). It seems it depends on the number and type of trees, but, the nice thing about TV is we have lots of trees around us.

SAGE Journals: Your gateway to world-class journal research
Old 07-13-2021, 10:18 PM
Veteran member

Years ago my wife and I had oak trees planted, up north, in the names of our parents.
Old 07-17-2021, 01:49 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts

Maine has more trees now than it did during sailing ship eras when the whole structure of ships was wood. Where the problem lies is in 2nd and 3rd world countries where they are selling off 1000's of acres for the $$$ of the trees.

If you're so concerned head to South America and Africa and get them to change their habits. We, in this country, have been doing are part many times over. Hope it's not too much trouble.
Old 07-17-2021, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
Maine has more trees now than it did during sailing ship eras when the whole structure of ships was wood. Where the problem lies is in 2nd and 3rd world countries where they are selling off 1000's of acres for the $$$ of the trees.

If you're so concerned head to South America and Africa and get them to change their habits. We, in this country, have been doing are part many times over. Hope it's not too much trouble.
They are selling their trees because we are buying them. Make sure you buy properly, sustainable forested word products. Might cost a little more, but it's worth it.
Old 07-17-2021, 02:14 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdulej View Post
They are selling their trees because we are buying them. Make sure you buy properly, sustainable forested word products. Might cost a little more, but it's worth it.
But it is easier to blame them.

McDonalds has also mowed down a lot of forest just to raise cattle to make their awful burgers that American's love so much.
Old 07-17-2021, 02:18 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,611 Times in 1,760 Posts

Perhaps you could ask one or more of these guys to chip in as they have humongous carbon footprints. Billionaires descend on Sun Valley in private jets to talk about climate change | Fox Business

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 07-19-2021, 08:29 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Perhaps you could ask one or more of these guys to chip in as they have humongous carbon footprints. Billionaires descend on Sun Valley in private jets to talk about climate change | Fox Business
The old do as I say not as I do thing..
Old 07-19-2021, 09:10 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Franklin View Post
Years ago my wife and I had oak trees planted, up north, in the names of our parents.
Yes, planting trees that can live for literally hundreds or thousands of years is an excellent memorial for love ones also.
Old 07-19-2021, 09:12 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post

Absolutely, the hypocrisy in some people is breathtaking.
Old 07-19-2021, 09:34 AM

All you need is love...we are the world, we are the children......blah blah blah.... the ice caps are melting! Manhattan will be under water soon!!

* rolling eyes *

Last edited by LateBoomer; 07-19-2021 at 09:50 AM.
Old 07-21-2021, 01:14 PM
Veteran member

Don't understand why hemp has not replaced trees for making everything from paper to building materials to clothing. Guess we have a secret desire to kill ourselves.
Old 07-21-2021, 02:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,617 Times in 5,196 Posts

Do the math. According to the graph on this company's website, you can become carbon neutral for your entire life by signing up for the 10 year, $16 per month program. For one person, that is $16 X 12 months X 10 years or a total of $1,920 for one person's life. Multiply that by the current U.S. population of 320 million people, and the total for the country is $614.4 billion, pocket change for the U.S. Government. If you include the entire world population of 9 billion people, the total cost is only $17.28 trillion. That would still be far less than the current estimate of $93 trillion for the Green New Deal. So, why doesn't the Federal Government just send the money to this company and save the planet and save the taxpayers trillions of dollars? Will someone please check my math.
Old 07-21-2021, 02:34 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,314 Times in 383 Posts

Cattle are big producers of gas which is destroying our environment.

Ive decided to hold my flatulence in. My small thing to save the world. I also eat lots of cow meat...the more we eat, the lesser the earth will be damaged

Tags
carbon, plant, fine, idea, boo-hoo

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.