Please investigate the truth

Closed Thread
Old 03-19-2019, 03:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default Truth matters,

I still believe that the truth is important. When a kid, I can remember the threat of a bar of soap in my mouth if caught in a lie. These days, I hear, "it's just a stretch of the truth or an exaggeration ", No, really, it's a lie! If 80% of your investigation leads you to a consensus of a conclusion, why would you question that decision. IMHO
Old 03-19-2019, 03:28 PM

Not Hollywood elites, not written press, not televised news, not the college educators or campus, not www info, not our life long politicians. So, where is the real truth? good luck finding it...….but do search hard and try to educate yourself.
Royal Air Force Benson, England
Eielson Air Force Base, AK, Clark AFB, Philippines
Kadena AFB, Okinawa Japan, Yakota AFB, Japan
Osan AB, Pyeongtaek, South Korea, Yangsan Army Garrison, Seoul South Korea
Old 03-19-2019, 03:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
I still believe that the truth is important. When a kid, I can remember the threat of a bar of soap in my mouth if caught in a lie. These days, I hear, "it's just a stretch of the truth or an exaggeration ", No, really, it's a lie! If 80% of your investigation leads you to a consensus of a conclusion, why would you question that decision. IMHO
Great post. Truth defines your character.

No legacy is so rich as honesty.

. William Shakespeare
Old 03-19-2019, 04:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,351 Times in 2,390 Posts

If I watch and listen to a live event and know what the person said, that is my basis for truth.
The next day that person is questioned about what they said and the reply is "no I didn't say that...that is just fake news.
My conclusion..that person is a liar!
Old 03-19-2019, 04:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
Fact check all you like...it does not mean what you check isn't a lie also...yes I am a professional cynic...working for over 30 years in gov't does that...you should have learned by now that the internet can be manipulated so you'll never know the truth.

Go by: common sense(very rare) and your instincts(if you haven't developed any then best of luck?)
Well said. I only allow myself to read the sources that have always been good, even though now I read far too many opinions on all of them in lieu of facts. The New York Times, The Washington Post, The Guardian, Vox, AP, Forbes, Pew Research, Nielsen Ratings. I give a wide berth to Breitbart and Mother Jones etc.etc. and all of those really extreme in political bias. I TRY to find the truth, admitting to having my own bias. I try to allow my mind to be changed and it has been with enough evidence and valid arguments that are presented in an unemotional way. A good argument is usually brief. If it is very long I began to get skeptical.
Old 03-19-2019, 04:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
If I watch and listen to a live event and know what the person said, that is my basis for truth.
The next day that person is questioned about what they said and the reply is "no I didn't say that...that is just fake news.
My conclusion..that person is a liar!
Aren't video tapes and audio tapes great ?
Old 03-19-2019, 05:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth View Post
Do you not see that your post is your opinion.

Far as the 737 accidents. Everyone but the US grounded them till it was mandated. All of life is a risk. Whether we realize it or not we regularly choose is the benefit worth the risk the cost etc.

Some famous similar events. The Chevy Corvair. We all know, or think we know about it. The problem was according to stuff I read many years ago was due to pricing issues the car was built with undersized torsion bars (spring system) and that caused the car to under-steer and then over steer causing average drivers to roll them. The later Corvairs were improved. A friend has one and it is a great driving car. The car was ruined by it's early reputation.

The 737 max may well suffer the same fate as the Corvair a soiled reputation. Tried in the press by people who are not at all qualified to judge. The 737 max is not the only plane with problems-issues. There was or is an Airbus where the tail has more than once fallen off.

WHAT IF-is always a question that we do our best to deal with.
Of course it is my opinion.....if you believe that the "valid sources" don't have an agenda and don't have a bias that's your opinion too.Not sure what you point is. If we didn't buy into their agendas and biases they would have no ratings or sales....and they know that.

Comparing the 737 Max to the Corvair is interesting. Unless Ralph Nadar is writing another book I suspect the Max will be back in the air within 60 days if the software fix proves itself. Airbus had a similar issue with Quantas flight 72 in 2008, software was also to blame for their issue.

My issue was that Boeing kept saying the plane was safe when pilots, flight attendants and passengers weren't so sure. It took a mandate for the CEO to make the "abundance of caution" comment. Fortunately, they are now on the ground, and while they will fly again, they should stay there until the MCAS is proven fixed.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 03-19-2019, 07:08 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

I have no idea what the OP is even talking about let alone how anyone is answering it. Makes no sense to me.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:16 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garywt View Post
I have no idea what the OP is even talking about let alone how anyone is answering it. Makes no sense to me.
Man ...I was just thinking the same thing!
Steve
Old 03-19-2019, 07:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garywt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
Man ...I was just thinking the same thing!...
That makes three of us.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
That makes three of us.
I'm in.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

Some question my post, my answer is simple, being truthful REALLY matters to me. If I suspect a liar I fact check and draw conclusions thru investigating. I'm not suRe truth matters anymore. Sad!
Old 03-20-2019, 06:29 AM
Sage

Quote:
Some question my post, my answer is simple, being truthful REALLY matters to me. If I suspect a liar I fact check and draw conclusions thru investigating. I'm not suRe truth matters anymore. Sad!
I am not surprised that you like truth. You and your posts always reflect decent and honest and kind thinking.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:11 AM
Sage

Quote:
ALL decent folks know liars and they usually repel them.

I agree, truth is losing its importance and that is sad and not without consequences to us and our children over the years.

Your post was questioned by 4 posters and was done with sarcasm. Some cannot address truth thus......

Your respect and honor for truth is noted and applauded
Old 03-20-2019, 07:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,591 Times in 5,188 Posts

When watching "so called" professional journalists interview someone, I often wonder why they allow an interviewee to get away with lies or untruths just to keep the interview going so they can cover all of the scheduled topics. Sometimes, I wish they would stop the interview and force the interviewee to acknowledge the truth or terminate the interview. Maybe that would promote more truthfulness.
Closed Thread

Tags
truth, fact, investigate, check, time

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.