Please investigate the truth

Closed Thread
Old 03-20-2019, 07:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Have you heard of Colin Powell's half brother, Semi?
There went another nice keyboard.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
FACT CHECK, FACT CHECK, NO MATTER what your persuasion . Sure hope this does NOT go political because this is so important, this would apply to life. So many times I hear Villagers say "How can I believe what I read and hear?", and in this time, more than any other, it's time for ALL of us to do our homework and investigate where the truth lies. We are so fortunate to have technology at our finger tips, please put the truth as your priority.
Facts DO matter...thanks for the thread.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:13 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,342 Posts

It is hard to believe anyone any more. Fact check? How do we know that is true? News, not anymore. Sad
Old 03-21-2019, 08:14 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,342 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
There went another nice keyboard.
Hahaha
Old 03-21-2019, 09:05 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,310 Times in 544 Posts
Default Good advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorbill1 View Post
Watch all news stations to get all sides before making a decision on how you feel
Excellent advice...
Old 03-21-2019, 09:06 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Facts DO matter...thanks for the thread.
Once again we agree, CNM. You just have to be careful that the things you are reading and hearing that are presented as facts are indeed...well...facts.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:17 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,310 Times in 544 Posts

“The difference between a wise person and another person is that a wise person has the ability to change his mind”. Justjim
Old 03-21-2019, 09:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Once again we agree, CNM. You just have to be careful to make sure what you're reading as facts are indeed...well...facts.
FACTS ARE so easy to determine, as opposed to opinions.

FACTS are easily determined. As another poster mentioned....amazing to see a video of something and the person on the video saying he or she did not say it.

NO, IT IS INFINITELY easy to determine facts, IF we wish to.

Which brings up those that do not care about truth, the enablers if you will. THEY are truly dangerous, to everyone and everything. That belief means above TRUTH is something else driving acceptance of lies......again, as another poster mentioned......we seem to be losing sight of what truth is.

Opinions are one thing....BUT facts are facts.....I want to hear opinions , EXCEPT if you lie, you are a liar....simple as that and that, for me closes it.....why would anyone ever listen to a liar again, they are "using you" by lying....they are, in essence saying they have no respect for you, nor think you are smart enough to know they are lying. I think back to any liars I have known and I feel used by them as they "used" me to enhance themselves whether the lie made them look good or someone else look bad (another liar characteristic is to demean others)

10 Toxic People You Should Avoid Like the Plague | Inc.com

To avoid being suckered by liars, do as so many have mentioned.....read and investigate and when you find a liar shut him or her out...because acceptance makes you an enabler and part of the lie.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post

FACTS are easily determined. As another poster mentioned....amazing to see a video of something and the person on the video saying he or she did not say it.

NO, IT IS INFINITELY easy to determine facts, IF we wish to.

Which brings up those that do not care about truth, the enablers if you will. THEY are truly dangerous, to everyone and everything. That belief means above TRUTH is something else driving acceptance of lies......again, as another poster mentioned......we seem to be losing sight of what truth is.

Opinions are one thing....BUT facts are facts.....I want to hear opinions , EXCEPT if you lie, you are a liar....simple as that and that, for me closes it.....why would anyone ever listen to a liar again, they are "using you" by lying....they are, in essence saying they have no respect for you, nor think you are smart enough to know they are lying. I think back to any liars I have known and I feel used by them as they "used" me to enhance themselves whether the lie made them look good or someone else look bad (another liar characteristic is to demean others)

10 Toxic People You Should Avoid Like the Plague | Inc.com

To avoid being suckered by liars, do as so many have mentioned.....read and investigate and when you find a liar shut him or her out...because acceptance makes you an enabler and part of the lie.
PERFECT!
Old 03-21-2019, 09:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Good morning.

Everybody has lied. Some people are pathological liars and know they are deceiving and enjoy tricking people. Some people lie every once in awhile to keep from hurting others, (yes, you look good in that dress) and some people always tell the truth, although saying nothing is so much better.

Some people are far better than others in telling lies and some are better in telling the truth. Some people speak clearly and everyone knows what they mean and others are not so good at communicating.

It is going to be a beautiful day in The Villages.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:59 AM
fw102807

Quote:
“We live in a world where unfortunately the distinction between true and false appears to become increasingly blurred by manipulation of facts, by exploitation of uncritical minds, and by the pollution of the language.”
― Arne Tiselius
Old 03-21-2019, 10:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

Maybe the ones that "don't get this post", do not investigate facts from several news sources or are believers and not interested in investigating the facts or re-evaluating their leanings (maybe, just maybe, you COULD come to another conclusion!!!!!
Old 03-21-2019, 10:07 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Good morning.

Everybody has lied. Some people are pathological liars and know they are deceiving and enjoy tricking people. Some people lie every once in awhile to keep from hurting others, (yes, you look good in that dress) and some people always tell the truth, although saying nothing is so much better.

Some people are far better than others in telling lies and some are better in telling the truth. Some people speak clearly and everyone knows what they mean and others are not so good at communicating.

It is going to be a beautiful day in The Villages.
I think this thread is NOT about us as individuals except using as an example in some cases, was about public acceptance of facts, not personal. Each determines on a personal level who is a lair and not....each of us, as you say has fibbed for sure, but we are talking about media and public...that was clearly stated in the OP and beyond.

LIARS in the public arena are much worse in that they reach millions and millions with lies, whether they be an opinion presenter on TV or an elected official or named department head. THESE LIARS affect all our lives. What you speak of is simply a matter of being selective and wise, but funny how we all say we will not accept liars in our personal life but we seem to accept them, as presented in this thread, where they are named, elected or hired to protect the truth.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:13 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
“We live in a world where unfortunately the distinction between true and false appears to become increasingly blurred by manipulation of facts, by exploitation of uncritical minds, and by the pollution of the language.”
― Arne Tiselius
He was absolutely correct IN HIS TIME. He was born in 1902 and died in the 70s's. Times have changed since he said that....we now have access to more facts than ever before and YES, they can be manipulated but the responsibility for not accepting lies is OURS.

Frankly, the manipulation of facts increases as we have so much more ability to determine what they are, which leads me to believe it is US who do not care much about facts anymore and that is sad and what bothers me more than anything because you are now open to so much more manipulation by gifted liars who shout down the truth.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:35 AM
fw102807

Quote:
He was absolutely correct IN HIS TIME. He was born in 1902 and died in the 70s's. Times have changed since he said that....we now have access to more facts than ever before and YES, they can be manipulated but the responsibility for not accepting lies is OURS.

Frankly, the manipulation of facts increases as we have so much more ability to determine what they are, which leads me to believe it is US who do not care much about facts anymore and that is sad and what bothers me more than anything because you are now open to so much more manipulation by gifted liars who shout down the truth.
Fact manipulation is easier now than it has ever been. Quotes taken out of context, pictures that have been photoshopped, videos that have been edited, studies presented with inaccurate statistics etc
Closed Thread

Tags
truth, fact, investigate, check, time

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.