Please investigate the truth

Closed Thread
Old 03-21-2019, 02:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

One more thing please on social media.

The US government had public hearings on the impact of Facebook postings and the interference by foreign government in such things. They concluded totally, and on both sides, that this foreign government had an intent to divide our country using these mediums, yet we still go to these sites to have our minds raped.

Covington is a case in point. The only report was on such media and the divide took place. Read...read....that is the point of this thread.

A story begun by homevideo on social media isnot bad reporting. Reporting accuretly that such a video was out there and ending such story is good journalism, and that pretty much is what happened.

Stay off those crap websites...their goal is not to tell the truth

Last edited by Bucco; 03-21-2019 at 02:43 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
You most certainly did, and several times. Here is just one example you posted. https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...654-post9.html

Here is the entire thread. Some posts were deleted and of course the thread closed. Proud parents?

I'm sorry to post and run but I've got to go..
Yes I did post and sorry I did. if you note in post 18 where I posted that there were more developments and I would wait on more. The Times article and others then surfaced.

Nothing here that I would put on my resume for sure, but also nothing that would make me change one word in this thread, nor my opinion. Unlike many, I do not pass myself off as perfect or even close, but as someone who believes in honesty and truth. NOR do I make false accusations without backing them up.

I certainly am embarrassed that I did not realize the source was a homemade social media post. I avoid that crap, and it is all crap, and it came on here to get me.

Actually, if you read, beginning with post 13, I began to question and ask for links.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
A sense of humor. It is a wonderful attribute. The most important part is to be able to laugh at oneself.

I believe it either gifted to us at birth or not.

No matter what matters on this day. It will be forgotten ten years from now. Five years from now. One year from now.

It is a shame to manufacture anger when time is so precious.
I think I'm gonna side with you, Mrs. Gracie. I really love the posts by Mr. Bucco also, the passion I feel when either one of you posts is wonderful.

But even I often contradict what I think I've said previously. Sometimes proven in print and sometimes pointed out by those around me. I get all heated over things that don't matter. The last thing was a Ford Escape that a fellow poster was having problems with. Which brings me to a question I must pose to myself and others! The Joker - Why So Serious? - YouTube
Old 03-21-2019, 02:52 PM
Sage

Again, on the Covington thing. Other than a gotcha on Bucco, which I accept, it does not change anything except to put me down.

Source was not the media, and responsible media went to work to fetter the facts.

But again, Bucco is not the issue...of course he is easier than actually discussing the real issue the OP wanted....TRUTH AND HONESTY.

If you are offended with my posts on that thread, so be it. I accused nobody, attacked nobody, and did not heed my own advice.....never trust social media.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Historiography

I have taken courses in Legal History and the Philosophy of History as well as Historiography. All interesting subjects about facts and which facts matter and which do not.

The journalists who were on site and various incidents are quite important IMHO.

Also read a lot of military history and the people in the battlefields often have little grasp of what is going on right at the time when the bullets, mortars, and bombs are flying.

This is a great movie about soldiers' experience in war during WWI. They Shall Not Grow Old - Official Trailer (2018) - YouTube

One of my favorite historians is Barbara Tuchman whose books seem very timely. https://www.amazon.com/March-Folly-T.../dp/0345308239

Quote:
Pulitzer Prize–winning historian Barbara W. Tuchman, author of the World War I masterpiece The Guns of August, grapples with her boldest subject: the pervasive presence, through the ages, of failure, mismanagement, and delusion in government.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
I think I'm gonna side with you, Mrs. Gracie. I really love the posts by Mr. Bucco also, the passion I feel when either one of you posts is wonderful.

But even I often contradict what I think I've said previously. Sometimes proven in print and sometimes pointed out by those around me. I get all heated over things that don't matter. The last thing was a Ford Escape that a fellow poster was having problems with. Which brings me to a question I must pose to myself and others! The Joker - Why So Serious? - YouTube
Are you saying truth and honesty is not important, that lack of even understanding our inability to know truth is not serious ?

Not trying to paint you in the corner, but actually surprised you side with a poster who simply makes accusation, and never offers anything for discussion. Attacking the poster does not get to the point, does it ?

I fully realize that the viewpoint of both of you is skewed, and surely mine is as well. I think itimportant, no vital, that no matter all feelings should be based on truth, not lies....on understanding facts, not simple accusations.
Old 03-21-2019, 03:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
Are you saying truth and honesty is not important, that lack of even understanding our inability to know truth is not serious ?

Not trying to paint you in the corner, but actually surprised you side with a poster who simply makes accusation, and never offers anything for discussion. Attacking the poster does not get to the point, does it ?

I fully realize that the viewpoint of both of you is skewed, and surely mine is as well. I think itimportant, no vital, that no matter all feelings should be based on truth, not lies....on understanding facts, not simple accusations.
I don't think that you would paint me in a corner nor would I do it to you. The point is I am inclined to use my powers of intuition based on past practice and statements and observation and with no link, a newspaper report or other Concrete proof side with Mrs. Gracie in the little give and take you had with her. Maybe next time it would be that I side with you. See I'm considerably younger than many people who live in The Villages and I cherish my friendships with the people who are Senior to me, the ones I've met and the ones I mix it up with on here. There are many ways of a person coming to a conclusion as far as the truth goes. I made mine the way I saw fit. I have nothing at all against you Mr. Bucco and I call you that out of respect nothing more, no wisecracking like I normally do. You have a lot to offer and I am a student, so teach. I'm listening.

Truth to me is easily identifiable when it is an eyeball to eyeball conversation. In type or television news I have my favorite channel to get the news and then I watch the enemy channel to see their point of view. Don't tell anybody but occasionally I think the enemy is correct and my primary channel has blown it. I'm into reality, not head games and no psychoanalyzing others, it's not my yob man.

I love the truth but putting people on cross-examination throughout life isn't really living to me which is why the first thing I thought of was Why So Serious?
Old 03-21-2019, 03:48 PM
Sage

Overview - Citing sources - LibGuides at MIT Libraries

Would whatever sources you get for your ideas get past your favorite high school teacher? College professor? Newspaper editor? Nun?
Old 03-21-2019, 04:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
I don't think that you would paint me in a corner nor would I do it to you. The point is I am inclined to use my powers of intuition based on past practice and statements and observation and with no link, a newspaper report or other Concrete proof side with Mrs. Gracie in the little give and take you had with her. Maybe next time it would be that I side with you. See I'm considerably younger than many people who live in The Villages and I cherish my friendships with the people who are Senior to me, the ones I've met and the ones I mix it up with on here. There are many ways of a person coming to a conclusion as far as the truth goes. I made mine the way I saw fit. I have nothing at all against you Mr. Bucco and I call you that out of respect nothing more, no wisecracking like I normally do. You have a lot to offer and I am a student, so teach. I'm listening.

Truth to me is easily identifiable when it is an eyeball to eyeball conversation. In type or television news I have my favorite channel to get the news and then I watch the enemy channel to see their point of view. Don't tell anybody but occasionally I think the enemy is correct and my primary channel has blown it. I'm into reality, not head games and no psychoanalyzing others, it's not my yob man.

I love the truth but putting people on cross-examination throughout life isn't really living to me which is why the first thing I thought of was Why So Serious?
I will respond to just two things in your post. Not shying away, but two things you say cause my reply. If you feel I am shunning what you say, let me know.

First your comment on watching the "enemy channel" is telling. Not sure how a channel can be described as enemy, and not knowing your favorite channel, hard to comment. First of all, if you are getting your news on a "channel", I feel you are short changing yourself, assuming you speak of cable.. most of cable "news" is simply opinion and all skewed. To really get news and understand it, you must read.

Now you say you are younger, so that reading might get old for you , and that bothers me. Young people are basically lazy and dependent on social media or whatever is easier, not necessarily accurate.

Which brings me to "why so serious" ....my strong opinion is that the OP understands..with "fake news" (whatever defines that TODAY) we have either lost the definition of truth and don't care, or we believe, not in truth and facts but something else.

Either way, it is serious...very serious. To be led by lies is getting in line for serious consequences. You cannot name a statesman or leader up until recently, that did not believe that the American free press is one of major reasons for our greatness. Now, we attack the press for reporting instead of the issue being reported....

It is deceptive and dishonest to preach how evil the free press is because they report accusations reply, but it is negative....ACCURETLY, BUT NEGATIVE. If we turn our hearts from what is true, and follow not the issues, but a person or a specific ideology. Well, I am turning 80 in June.....I lived and worked with and for great men, great journalists, and learned that the road we are in at present....to demean our press, our hero's, anyone that might feel differently or be of a different pursuation, we are courting weakness and destruction.

I hope you learn how the present situation, on both sides, is weakening our great country. Well, hope you don't learn, but realize it. Read history and what we were founded on...as you said the "enemy channel" sums it up...you want to hear what you want to hear, True or not, and that's a problem. The truths, as said in our constitution snout certain, is self evident and no one man or group can change that, but the will and can change the direction of your country well before you get as old as I.

No more rambling, but attack the issues, not the messengers as we do today, and search for truth, instead of accepting lies, as easy as that may be.

Be happy, being honest should not change that. Be patriotic, demanding truth instead of lies should serve that well. Don't demean those who disagree, respect and talk with respect to them.

So, search for truth and honesty does not lessen joy, fact is it should give you more freedom. This chaos today, this is not good
Old 03-21-2019, 04:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Overview - Citing sources - LibGuides at MIT Libraries

Would whatever sources you get for your ideas get past your favorite high school teacher? College professor? Newspaper editor? Nun?
The World Wide Web didn't exist when I was in High School. Wikipedia's founder was only 10 years old when I was in High School. The co-founder I believe was only 12 or 13.

Cable TV had I believe - 30 channels total, HBO hadn't been invented yet and MTV still had a few years to go before its first music video (The Buggles: Video Killed the Radio Star).

We had old 1940's and 1950's newsreels, textbooks, radio, and network TV. We had Childcraft and World Book encyclopedia sets. That was the bulk of our knowledge base.

We had such limited access to information, compared with only 10 years later, that the question has no relevance at all.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:49 PM
Sage

I know a lot of great grandmothers, grand fathers, aunts, uncles, etc. in the Villages who help their high school or younger students with their home work at times.

So. This still applies especially if you have been in a library in the past few decades.

I was walking around with a friend a few years ago and we were discussing her daughter's Bibliography for her big writing assignment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
The World Wide Web didn't exist when I was in High School. Wikipedia's founder was only 10 years old when I was in High School. The co-founder I believe was only 12 or 13.

Cable TV had I believe - 30 channels total, HBO hadn't been invented yet and MTV still had a few years to go before its first music video (The Buggles: Video Killed the Radio Star).

We had old 1940's and 1950's newsreels, textbooks, radio, and network TV. We had Childcraft and World Book encyclopedia sets. That was the bulk of our knowledge base.

We had such limited access to information, compared with only 10 years later, that the question has no relevance at all.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:59 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post

The problem is that something you may view as an absolute truth may not be to others and that is not an issue of morality as you like to paint but just a matter of interpretation. I believe that in many instances (like the Covington teens) there are more sides to the story than what is presented. People base their decisions not on a lack of morality but on a different way of processing data or where they were raised or what their current life situation is or a multitude of other reasons not necessarily because they are amoral. I just find your posts too judgmental. Yes there is evil in the world but there are many good people also who just want to get along.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
You most certainly did, and several times. Here is just one example you posted. https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...654-post9.html

Here is the entire thread. Some posts were deleted and of course the thread closed. Proud parents?

I'm sorry to post and run but I've got to go..
I was the one who posted the video from Cincinnati.com that cleared it up. My post was removed and I was absolutely furious. I ordered myself my first political shirt ever. It says "I stand with Covington Catholic". I haven't had a reason to wear it but it makes me feel good to see it in my closet.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:36 PM
Default Re: The subject getting away with lies

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
When watching "so called" professional journalists interview someone, I often wonder why they allow an interviewee to get away with lies or untruths just to keep the interview going so they can cover all of the scheduled topics. Sometimes, I wish they would stop the interview and force the interviewee to acknowledge the truth or terminate the interview. Maybe that would promote more truthfulness.
Obviously it is not just the subject who lies. We cannot get into politics on this website. But, a major issue today and in the past is the agenda of the news source.

Perhaps, a safe historical FACT was the Spanish American War.
The war was actually caused by the press. The SCREAM was remember the Maine. The paper reported that the battle ship Maine was torpedoed and we went to war. The TRUTH was that the ship blew itself up due to improper fire control and ammunition storage.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:38 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Ahh....just for fun, yes....fun.
The Liar Paradox
Star Trek - Liar Paradox - YouTube

Steve
Closed Thread

Tags
truth, fact, investigate, check, time

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.