Please investigate the truth

Closed Thread
Old 03-22-2019, 07:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
Which proves my point, use the brain that the good Lord gave us and investigate. BUT that doesn't mean that the press "is the enemy". Thank goodness that we have the press. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water.
Exactly. I never said the press was the enemy and I certainly wouldn't want to see it go by the wayside by any means - not my point at all. I would feel the same way whether it was a neighbor, friend, or anyone else feeding me information. Just because they say so doesn't mean I might not be a little skeptical - in other words, trust but verify.

Bottom line, truth can not always be found by one means only such as by reviewing one set of facts or even by doing extensive research at times. Common sense, intuition, knowing the past history of the source, and/or actually being there or knowing someone directly involved must factor in. You know the old saying, there's 3 sides to every story. If you're not taking into consideration all 3 sides most likely you will not have all the facts. And since you brought Him up, only the Lord knows the whole truth and on this earth it's quite likely we never will regarding every situation. We weren't meant to.......

Good topic, jebartle, but unfortunately the inability for some to keep politics out of almost any conversation will probably send it into the TOTV toilet sooner rather than later.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:41 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big O View Post
NEVER give credence to any news that starts out( "We have learned from reliable sources.....")
Bingo! When I hear that statement it immediately raises a red flag for me to just not listen at all. Withholding the source of the information automatically discounts my ability to evaluate any legitimacy to the claim.

And your tagline certainly seems to fit right into this topic and should remind all of us of the importance of keeping an open mind -

"To be absolutely certain about something, one must know everything or nothing about it."

Henry Kissinger
Old 03-22-2019, 07:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
For me, the problem with media today...not social media, but alleged journalistic media,..is not so much that they lie, but that they relate stories with such extreme bias. They try to pass off editorial reporting as true journalism, which IMO it absolutely is not.
We must also search our souls and discover where the bias really exists, it might, just might originate with ourselves. Can't say it enough, investigate and fact check, too many lies given by those in authority.
not necessarily the press, imho.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Which proves my point, use the brain that the good Lord gave us and investigate. BUT that doesn't mean that the press "is the enemy". Thank goodness that we have the press. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water.
ABSOLUTELY!

In the book; 'Despotism for Dummies,' the first chapter implores the importance of trying to discredit any press... that is less than fawning toward the wannabe Despot.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:10 AM
Sage

Quote:
We must also search our souls and discover where the bias really exists, it might, just might originate with ourselves. Can't say it enough, investigate and fact check, too many lies given by those in authority.

not necessarily the press, imho.
Nailed it again!

It has become all the rage of late, to not even bothering doing a modicum of research if a piece comports with a persons 'confirmation bias'...and doing even less research if it refutes what you believe.

Oftentimes facts ARE facts (and not just an opinion/bias by the writer), but it is the obfuscation and/or attempts at spinning what those FACTS mean...whereby the problems ensue.

One can't but shake their heads when actual facts (such as absolutely known timelines/procedures), are misstated...and people actually start believing these misstatements/outright lies.

Simply amazing.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,499 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

About half of us in this country think the main stream media are biased.

Many of us wish that we would hear and read just the "hard news" and not an interpretation or an opinion of what happened.

The way journalism is taught in college has had a filter down effect. Many people will turn off the evening news because of obvious bias from all three news networks. (NBC, ABC and CBS) I was switching to David Muir away from NBC because for awhile the line up and the presentation was fairer (to me) but then a couple of months ago that changed.

It is very hard to find and absorb what is really going on because we are being exposed to a biased menu which is just fine for about half of this country.

That is my opinion. I am glad I live here in The Villages. I like how the majority of people think. They are old and wise.

Fewer Americans rely on TV news; what type they watch varies by who they are

Last edited by graciegirl; 03-22-2019 at 08:32 AM.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:16 AM
Sage

In viewing the last several posts, it's a darn shame the direction this discussion is heading. It doesn't have to be. I'm sure many have kept away from this thread for that very reason. I think the OP could have led by better example by steering away from politics, not right into it. But now it seems that was the agenda after all.

Over and out here.............I've got better things to do, like NOTHING.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby10 View Post
In viewing the last several posts, it's a darn shame the direction this discussion is heading. It doesn't have to be. I'm sure many have kept away from this thread for that very reason. I think the OP could have led by better example by steering away from politics, not right into it. But now it seems that was the agenda after all.

Maybe, just maybe, we can assume (and yes, I know how to spell it) we are getting insight into your bias????
Old 03-22-2019, 09:12 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby10 View Post

I totally agree!
Plus way too much pontification!
Old 03-22-2019, 09:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,499 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Maybe, just maybe, we can assume (and yes, I know how to spell it) we are getting insight into your bias????
Now. Now. Now. That goes both ways.

I know Abby. She is an intelligent, very well educated medical professional with a kind and very fair way of looking at things. Her name isn't Abby. She is just about ready to retire and hopefully join us full time here in The Villages.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:24 AM
Sage

Quote:

I would also add that claiming something, in hopes of getting closed a thread that has become uncomfortable for some...is something we've seen many times previously.

TRUTH/FACTS...often being the impetus for that.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:45 AM
TOTV Moderator

It appears some are ignoring the OP's plea to keep politics out of this thread. More posts have been deleted this morning. We are sensitive that some may try to force closure of a thread they don't agree with, but further political posts may result in closing the thread.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Now. Now. Now. That goes both ways.

I know Abby. She is an intelligent, very well educated medical professional with a kind and very fair way of looking at things. Her name isn't Abby. She is just about ready to retire and hopefully join us full time here in The Villages.
Which means what to the thread subject.

IF YOU ARE GOING TO ACCUSE AN INDIVIDUAL OR A GROUP LIKE THE MEDIA OF ANYTHING, IT SEEMS THAT SOME SORT OF BACKUP SHOULD BE REQUIRED.

Unless you are saying that certain posters speak and we all should listen.

It seems very easy to simply attack sans any facts.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

This thread was a discussion of honesty and lying.

Suddenly, it veered away to discussion of a YOUTUBE video shot not by media but a private individual....which then as was intended veered us to an area not to be discussed.

Lets not forget that the OP was dismayed by the lack of honesty by ANYONE, and lying by ANYONE especially what you see reported

Somehow the LIARS became entangled with those reporting the lying and that is not what this thread is about, at least from my perspective.

When media reports a LIE and documents it, how is that the fault o the media.....are they not to report that and what reason is there not to report it ?
Old 03-22-2019, 09:54 AM
Sage

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post

I would also add that claiming something, in hopes of getting closed a thread that has become uncomfortable for some...is something we've seen many times previously.

TRUTH/FACTS...often being the impetus for that.
You must have missed the point where I said the thread topic was a good one. You both seem to assume too much. I've never thought much of assumptions. Probably because there's 50-50 chance you're going to be wrong and I'm not much of a risk taker. Besides, talk about a good way to cause strife and division. I mean you want truth, right? So why make assumptions? Very confusing to me.

A thread will not be closed because of anything I post. Believe me, I'm not that important around here. Personally I would much rather see it get back on track so it doesn't......
Closed Thread

Tags
truth, fact, investigate, check, time

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.