Police called to care center after collision of residents’ motorized scooters

Closed Thread
Old 06-05-2018, 10:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts
Default Police called to care center after collision of residents’ motorized scooters

I still get the unmentionable online newspaper and this morning it had a short story about the altercation in my subject:

"Police were called to a care center after a woman complained of an injury from a scooter collision. The 75-year-old New Jersey native claimed she suffered a cut on her arm after the incident, which occurred May 22 in the dining room at Lady Lake Specialty Care, according to an incident report from the Lady Lake Police Department. She said she was in line when an 83-year-old man in a motorized scooter proceeded to bump into her. She attempted to move her motorized scooter out of the way, but before she could, the man went around and bumped into her again. When the scooters collided, her arm got trapped and she suffered a minor cut.

When a police officer spoke with the man, he admitted he had told the woman to “move her fat ass.” However, he denied intentionally striking her with his scooter."

Yes, I KNOW I am not supposed to be amused by such reports, but I was. It's like two old gladiators going at it. I can only imagine what those care givers see. And, again, if you have a loved one in one of these places it must be very concerning.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 06-05-2018, 10:40 AM

An altercation on scooters in a dining room. Do they have to fill out an accident report?
EST MPH: 0.4
Old 06-05-2018, 11:25 AM
Gold member

Heard he got a ticket for not wearing a seatbelt.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:29 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,592 Times in 1,758 Posts

When I read that story I could not control myself. I laughed so hard!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 06-05-2018, 11:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,351 Times in 2,390 Posts

Why were the police called??
I think the staff should have handled this.
Old 06-05-2018, 12:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Agree, and it should have been kept out of the news.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 06-05-2018, 12:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
It's an assault. Why shouldn't the police be called?
Old 06-05-2018, 01:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Agree, and it should have been kept out of the news.
PLUS a slow "news" day for the other 'publication'. This was a sad altercation to be sure.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
It's an assault. Why shouldn't the police be called?
Worth noting there were no arrests. Waste of police resources.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Worth noting there were no arrests. Waste of police resources.
Police frequently respond to assaults where no charges are made. I've done this hundreds of times in my career. There are a variety of reasons why charges aren't placed.

I've a good feeling the care center did this to protect themselves. Having had both parents in ALF's, I'd insist on the same response, especially if an injury occurred which was suspected to have been done on purpose.

Not your place to decide what resources were "wasted".

Whether or not this needs to be reported in the local news is a whole different story.

Last edited by photo1902; 06-05-2018 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:44 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
I still get the unmentionable online newspaper and this morning it had a short story about the altercation in my subject:

"Police were called to a care center after a woman complained of an injury from a scooter collision. The 75-year-old New Jersey native claimed she suffered a cut on her arm after the incident, which occurred May 22 in the dining room at Lady Lake Specialty Care, according to an incident report from the Lady Lake Police Department. She said she was in line when an 83-year-old man in a motorized scooter proceeded to bump into her. She attempted to move her motorized scooter out of the way, but before she could, the man went around and bumped into her again. When the scooters collided, her arm got trapped and she suffered a minor cut.

When a police officer spoke with the man, he admitted he had told the woman to “move her fat ass.” However, he denied intentionally striking her with his scooter."

Yes, I KNOW I am not supposed to be amused by such reports, but I was. It's like two old gladiators going at it. I can only imagine what those care givers see. And, again, if you have a loved one in one of these places it must be very concerning.
I found it very entertaining, thanks! There are a lot things that go on in these facilities. Almost every time we visited my father at the nursing home before he passed there was always something happening that provided comic relief.
Old 06-05-2018, 03:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

You can’t make this stuff up.
Old 06-05-2018, 03:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
Police frequently respond to assaults where no charges are made. I've done this hundreds of times in my career. There are a variety of reasons why charges aren't placed.

I've a good feeling the care center did this to protect themselves. Having had both parents in ALF's, I'd insist on the same response, especially if an injury occurred which was suspected to have been done on purpose.

Not your place to decide what resources were "wasted".

Whether or not this needs to be reported in the local news is a whole different story.
I can decide if I want to...…..thank you!
Old 06-05-2018, 04:43 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,592 Times in 1,758 Posts

Today's story about the 50 year old woman Villager who drank 14-15 beers then knocked her golf cart passenger out of her golf cart by plowing into landscaping, damaging the garage wall was just about as funny, except that the passenger may have been injured!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 06-05-2018, 05:07 PM

No, there are specific regulatory requirements to which these facilities must adhere. If they do not, it's " light out " when the lawsuit shows up for failure to do " whatever ".
Closed Thread

Tags
scooter, care, police, man, motorized

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.