Politically Correct

Closed Thread
Old 06-03-2017, 05:59 PM
Platinum member
Talking Rednecks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillywho View Post

Maybe I'm just "redneck" enough not to know I'm supposed to take offense at being white, female, heterosexual, and believe in God.
Strange........ I grew up in Texas, and even had one grandfather who was a sharecropper farmer, but I never heard the term "redneck" until we moved to Florida, where I heard it used to describe some Floridians and Georgians. Even then, "Cracker" was used just as often to refer to Floridians.

I grew up in Dallas and San Antonio. I guess being in large urban areas makes a difference in what you hear. (I did have a couple of uncles who were Aggies.)
Old 06-03-2017, 06:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
The Main Stream Media (MSM) are those TV networks with the highest number of viewers (ABC, CBS, NBC) and those newspapers with the greatest readership (Washington Post rather than Washington Times; New York Times rather than New York Post, etc.)

Note that these are the broadcast TV networks (although they can be seen on cable) in contrast to the Cable networks. Regardless what Fox News Channel (cable) says about it's viewership compared to CNN, MSNBC, and other cable channels, Fox's viewership is minuscule compared to the viewership of the major broadcast networks.

It is generally thought that the MSM reporting tends to be Liberal, while Fox News Channel is the flagship of Conservative reporting. That may be changing, with the departure of Bill O'Reilly, and the frequent acerbic Liberal remarks of Shepherd Smith. There are hints that Sean Hannity may not be at Fox much longer. A new Conservative news cable channel may be coming soon.
Good post.

Bottom line, regardless of what some think and say, the MSM does not alter news, does not hide news. I am getting so tired of the FAKE news stuff. There is such a thing but it is NOT on the MSM, but on various websites that, and say what you want, used by Russia. ZeroHedge, RT...just examples,..totally Russian controlled who try to have Americans pick up their various conspiracy theories.

I believe our media is VITAL to our democracy and country, and attacks on the media just weaken our country. They are the people who keep our leaders in control.

As to bias, it has always existed. Fox was born because Murdoch and Aisles saw a niche in the market and filled it. They proclaimed the MSM to be liberal, and presented an alternative. They may have been right, or just perhaps good business heads. Whatever, over the years, the divide has widened and as you mention, there is now divides within Fox.

I still can watch ANY of them and get news, but they are now allowing commentary to be intertwined and it is folks looking for their own justification who are viewers.

What people need to understand is...these are huge business structures, and are in competition for viewers. They will present COMMENTARY to attract viewers, but they do not alter news, and those who believe the MSM is the enemy, are in my strong opinion, doing themselves a terrible disservice. Without our media, those in power truely have carte Blanche to do and say what they want, true or not.

A point I need to make.....and I am sure I will either get heat or bad thoughts, but TWITTER is NOT news...it is one of the worst things that has happened to news in my opinion. I do not tweet but follow all the major news outlets, but read only those with direct links to a REAL FACTUAL WELL CREDITED NEWS SOURCE.

DWIGHT EISENHOWER (1890-1969)
The qualities of a great man are "vision, integrity, courage, understanding, the power of articulation, and profundity of character."
Old 06-03-2017, 06:16 PM
Platinum member

News is what Walter Cronkite gave us. What we get now is analysis and opinion most of which is biased either right or left.
Old 06-03-2017, 06:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
News is what Walter Cronkite gave us. What we get now is analysis and opinion most of which is biased either right or left.
Turn off your tv if you want news, especially and frankly without bias CABLE news.. They compete for viewership. If you honestly and really want NEWS, so many great outlets..AP, REUTERS, etc, without the gab.

If you want someone to give you WHAT YOU WANT TO HEAR, pick your poison on cable, but do not call that the MSM or fake news. It is as much entertainment as anything.

DWIGHT EISENHOWER (1890-1969)
The qualities of a great man are "vision, integrity, courage, understanding, the power of articulation, and profundity of character."
Old 06-03-2017, 06:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyrd View Post
Good post.

Bottom line, regardless of what some think and say, the MSM does not alter news, does not hide news. I am getting so tired of the FAKE news stuff. There is such a thing but it is NOT on the MSM, but on various websites that, and say what you want, used by Russia. ZeroHedge, RT...just examples,..totally Russian controlled who try to have Americans pick up their various conspiracy theories.

I believe our media is VITAL to our democracy and country, and attacks on the media just weaken our country. They are the people who keep our leaders in control.

As to bias, it has always existed. Fox was born because Murdoch and Aisles saw a niche in the market and filled it. They proclaimed the MSM to be liberal, and presented an alternative. They may have been right, or just perhaps good business heads. Whatever, over the years, the divide has widened and as you mention, there is now divides within Fox.

I still can watch ANY of them and get news, but they are now allowing commentary to be intertwined and it is folks looking for their own justification who are viewers.

What people need to understand is...these are huge business structures, and are in competition for viewers. They will present COMMENTARY to attract viewers, but they do not alter news, and those who believe the MSM is the enemy, are in my strong opinion, doing themselves a terrible disservice. Without our media, those in power truely have carte Blanche to do and say what they want, true or not.

A point I need to make.....and I am sure I will either get heat or bad thoughts, but TWITTER is NOT news...it is one of the worst things that has happened to news in my opinion. I do not tweet but follow all the major news outlets, but read only those with direct links to a REAL FACTUAL WELL CREDITED NEWS SOURCE.
You make an excellent point on the fact that the news itself, from established/legitimate sources...are seldom to never actually false.

Whereas Tweets, are ALMOST ALWAYS simply an opinion whereby the tweeter can make a statement...and not have to stand up in front of others and justify and prove their statement(s).

Now which one, would/should reasonable people...actually take more seriously?
Old 06-03-2017, 08:20 PM
TOTV Moderator

The topic of this thread is political correct speech. The thread has veered completely off topic. It is now closed. You are invited to start a new thread on news media if desired. But this thread is now closed.

Closed Thread

Tags
hurt, person, politically, people, phrase

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.