NO 7 33.33%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 12-07-2007, 05:50 PM
Veteran member
Default Re: POLL Should WE USE TORTURE - YES or NO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemorc
Shouldn't this poll be in the political forum? In the USA, today, this has become a political subject.
Politics is torture!!
Viet Nam
CT
TV
Old 12-08-2007, 04:52 AM
Sage

MMC24

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:34 AM

Just on days ending in y.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:58 PM
beartrack1

Even being a veteran I was having a problem with the subject of torture. But, I started thinking about 9/11, the Marine barracks in Lebanon, The USS COLE and all the American lives lost in these events and so many others as well. I also thought of the hostages taken and our POW's and the Films of Americans getting their heads cut off. I have come to this conclusion. If I could have stopped any one of these events, If I could have saved the life of just one American soldier, If I could keep imagining, that some of these victims, are my own wife, children, friends or neighbors, then I will tell you all that, unequivocally, that I would resort to anything to save them, torture included. How on Earth, could anyone say that they would not ?
Old 01-07-2008, 06:52 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Torture for the sake of torture, no. Torture to get information that will save lives of innocent people. yes. Torture to save lives of those that protect our freedom. yes

There is all this huge controversy about water boarding. I always thought it was tying someone to a board and then dunking them upside down and holding them under water and at some point drowning them. I finally found out exactly what it was. Leaning someone backwards so the head is lower then the rest of their body, then placing a cloth over the head and pouring water on them. Makes you feel like drowning but it is impossible to drown. Well guess what. When I went through flight school in the military, they did that to us. Didn't know what it was called back then, but they were showing us what to expect if we were captured. That and several other types of torture. Don't know if they still do it or not. Was it hard? yes. Did I live? yes. So I would guess there are several thousands of US military personnel who have been through this. And if this will get information that will save US lives, then by all means please continue to put every terrorist we can find through it.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:20 PM
Banned

Being subjected to nonstop political rhetoric, claims of "I'm the best for the job" and "s/he is not as qualified as I," followed by all of the self-claimed experts providing their commentary of what was said and meant - Now THAT'S torture !
Old 01-07-2008, 08:09 PM
Veteran member

I heard recently, NPR I think, that many military experts questioned the accuracy of the information obtained by torture feeling that much of it was false or worthless at best, and misleading at worst. If that is indeed so, what's the point? If torture doesn't enhance anyone's security, why do it?

Also: Wheeling, WV * Youngstown, OH* Niles, OH * Oshkosh, WI * Ft. Worth, TX * Da Bronx * Marathon, NY * Bricktown, NJ * Newark, DE * San Antonio, TX * Washington, DC * Tacoma, WA
Old 01-07-2008, 10:18 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beartrack
Even being a veteran I was having a problem with the subject of torture. But, I started thinking about 9/11, the Marine barracks in Lebanon, The USS COLE and all the American lives lost in these events and so many others as well. I also thought of the hostages taken and our POW's and the Films of Americans getting their heads cut off. I have come to this conclusion. If I could have stopped any one of these events, If I could have saved the life of just one American soldier, If I could keep imagining, that some of these victims, are my own wife, children, friends or neighbors, then I will tell you all that, unequivocally, that I would resort to anything to save them, torture included. How on Earth, could anyone say that they would not ?
Well said beartrack. 100%
Old 01-08-2008, 03:39 AM
beartrack1

Another Linda,

With all due respect, I would not take anything that NPR had to say, seriously but, that of course is only my opinion. Before you make a final judgement on this issue, please allow me to ask you a question; Think of someone that you love more than anything. Now that person has been captured by terrorists, and like Daniel Pearl, he is put on Television by these murderers and they threaten to cut off his/her head. Our government has captured a suspect that they know has information of the where abouts of the terrorists and if he tells what he knows, your loved one will be saved. They ask you, if they should torture him to get the information that will save this person that you love. Yes or No

And your answer would be?????
Old 01-08-2008, 05:12 AM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Another Linda,

.... Think of someone that you love more than anything. Now that person has been captured by terrorists, and like Daniel Pearl, he is put on Television by these murderers and they threaten to cut off his/her head. Our government has captured a suspect that they know has information of the where abouts of the terrorists and if he tells what he knows, your loved one will be saved. They ask you, if they should torture him to get the information that will save this person that you love. Yes or No

And your answer would be?????
How often do they know the right questions to ask though? http://www.americanthinker.com/2004/...gation_te.html

From this article it does not look like the military often has the person who would have the kind of information needed. ???

Old 01-08-2008, 06:11 AM
beartrack1

This is not about the media and the biased articles that they write to further their own agenda. I asked a hypothetical question. I know how I would answer it. a big yes. I would do anything, take any chance to save my loved one. How would you answer my question Tal ?
Old 01-08-2008, 08:56 PM
Veteran member

John McCain had an article in Newsweek where he questioned the use of torture exactly because in his experience it yielded bad information. Whatever you think of the publication, I have great respect for Sen. McCain. Also, when my son was stationed with a Blackhawk group in Korea, I was surprised at how many of the pilots -- not exactly a liberal bunch -- were horrified at the prospect. So, hypotheticals to me make little sense in this case. People who have much more experience than I question the efficacy. I was repeating their question.

Also: Wheeling, WV * Youngstown, OH* Niles, OH * Oshkosh, WI * Ft. Worth, TX * Da Bronx * Marathon, NY * Bricktown, NJ * Newark, DE * San Antonio, TX * Washington, DC * Tacoma, WA
Old 01-08-2008, 10:09 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
This is not about the media and the biased articles that they write to further their own agenda. I asked a hypothetical question. I know how I would answer it. a big yes. I would do anything, take any chance to save my loved one. How would you answer my question Tal ?
If you are asking if I would defend my loved ones, yes. But, self-defense and defense of others only goes so far.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:19 AM
beartrack1

Tal & Another Linda, I respect your opinions and your right to avoid answering my question. If that question was posed to me I would answer it by saying " do what ever it takes to get the information needed " You will never know whether or not the information is valid until you get it. Torturing a terrorist is a chance that I willing to take. While I am being considerate of these killers, someone I love or some American soldier is being murdered. Sorry but, these terrorists do not deserve any sympathy from the very people that they would love to annihilate.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:43 AM
KTCOED47

YES
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.