Popcorn

Closed Thread
Old 07-01-2020, 12:27 PM
Default Popcorn

Popcorn is America's favorite snack. Although bananas are the number one item purchased in a grocery store, the shelf space for popcorn is generally much larger than the space allotted for bananas in most grocery stores. Of the popcorn shelf space, most of that shelf space goes to microwave popcorn. Unfortunately, microwave popcorn is a known carcinogen and should be avoided for health reasons. Orville Redenbacher's is the known brand of home-popped popcorn. A 30 oz.jar of Orville Redenbacher's at Winn-Dixie sells for $5.99, or 20 cents an ounce. A 45 oz. jar of Orville Redenbacher's at Walmart sells for $4.98, or 9 cents an ounce--that's more than half of Winn-Dixie's price. A frugal popcorn lover would not buy their Orville Redenbacher's at Winn-Dixie.
Old 07-01-2020, 12:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Most "frugal shoppers" don't shop at Winn-Dixie. On many items their prices are 20-40% more than even Publix. We only get BOGO's there. As for Walmart, their shelves are empty half the time of "common" items so I hate that place with a passion yet their prices are def good when they have what you are looking for.
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 07-01-2020, 12:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

There was nothing like Buddy Boy popcorn popped in Crisco oil in a pot with a tight lid. Just add melted butter and salt to taste.
Old 07-01-2020, 12:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,714 Times in 5,243 Posts

I think microwave popcorn is a carcinogen because of a chemical in the popping bag, not the corn itself. I buy the popcorn that is popped fresh at Publix for $1.99 per bag. Very convenient. I don't think it is microwaved. But, I don't care how they make it or how much it costs. Sometimes, I spray it with butter flavored genetic Pam cooking spray and then add salt. Very healthy.
Old 07-02-2020, 10:29 AM
Veteran member

We have been very disapointed with Orville Redenbacher microwave Popcorn since it never seemed to full pop and left a lot of unpopped corns. We also tried the other major brands with similar results. Recently we purchased Wallmarts Microwave popcorn and found it was a lot cheaper then Orville Redenbachers, the popped corn was much larger and the bag fully popped. I eat a lot more popcorn then I should and Wallmarts popcorn will now be my popcorn of choice. I'd give it a try
Old 07-02-2020, 10:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,111 Posts

I will keep buying most things including popcorn at Publix even if I have to pay more , Publix ranks high in every category against other companies , family friendly , pay , top place for young management jobs , just about every list that comes out in business journals about companies in the south
Old 07-02-2020, 01:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,047 Times in 5,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com View Post
I will keep buying most things including popcorn at Publix even if I have to pay more , Publix ranks high in every category against other companies , family friendly , pay , top place for young management jobs , just about every list that comes out in business journals about companies in the south
Wonder if Aldi's has popcorn. Very friendly staff and cannot beat the quality and prices of the store brands.
Old 07-02-2020, 01:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,714 Times in 5,243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadspet View Post
We have been very disapointed with Orville Redenbacher microwave Popcorn since it never seemed to full pop and left a lot of unpopped corns. We also tried the other major brands with similar results. Recently we purchased Wallmarts Microwave popcorn and found it was a lot cheaper then Orville Redenbachers, the popped corn was much larger and the bag fully popped. I eat a lot more popcorn then I should and Wallmarts popcorn will now be my popcorn of choice. I'd give it a try
For what it's worth, I found that using the "popcorn" button on my microwave did a much better job of popping more kernels in a bag of popcorn.
Closed Thread

Tags
popcorn, redenbachers, orville, space, shelf

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.