Pope Francis

Closed Thread
Old 03-19-2013, 08:31 AM
Platinum member

Pope Francis, went out of his way and broke ceremonial rules on Saturday to meet and bless Asia, a journalist’s guide dog. Read more about Asia and the pope's meeting here: MissT's HeirPins » DogHeirs | Where Dogs Are Family

-

Chloe
&
Lulu

Last edited by Cisco Kid; 10-22-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:49 AM
Sage

We used to greet an friend from the old neighborhood with, "Hey Frankie Boy!!!!!". Rest his soul.

I think Pope Francis will become a beloved pope just like Pope John XXIII.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).

Last edited by 2BNTV; 03-19-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:50 AM
Veteran member

I would have preferred the more traditional ways. He is Pope, he should have worn his Gold Cross, had a true gold ring and worn his woolen shawl. This was his inauguration. I knew there was no hope of him being properly crowned with a tirara. Last Holy Father to do so was Pope Paul VI. We need ceremony to bring us to God. Now, later when he does his day to day duties, he does not need all the pomp, but this was a special Mass for his Inauguration.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian View Post
I would have preferred the more traditional ways. He is Pope, he should have worn his Gold Cross, had a true gold ring and worn his woolen shawl. This was his inauguration. I knew there was no hope of him being properly crowned with a tirara. Last Holy Father to do so was Pope Paul VI. We need ceremony to bring us to God. Now, later when he does his day to day duties, he does not need all the pomp, but this was a special Mass for his Inauguration.
Everyone sees and feels things differently and needs or searches for things from organized religion and only God knows what is right. Many folks feel comfortable with the traditions of the church but even those change from era to era.

I know that the first leader of the church, St. Peter, was a simple fisherman.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:20 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffysmom View Post
How sad that we have to make a huge hoopla over the fact that a man of God is being humble. How crazy is that? Hopefully he will forego the Prada handbags and Gucci shoes and all the trappings of power some of the Cardinals have adopted and use the money to feed the starving children in the world.
I would like to borrow his purses if he's not going to use them.

Y'know that part of your brain that tells you "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!" I think I'm missing it.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:54 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:

It's my understading the the Pope represents Christ on earth. Jesus didn't prance around in gold, satin robes or designer clothing. He was a simple carpenter and wasn't interested in the trappings of power that the CC feels is important today. People today equate rich trappings with power but actually this Pope seems to be teaching us that real power comes from the Christ within.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:28 PM
Sage
Smile

He's Italian? I can relate to that! I like him already.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
He's Italian? I can relate to that! I like him already.
Actually he is second generation Italian. He is a citizen of Argentina, or was.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:41 PM
Veteran member

As for Prada shoes, not wearing them might make for more unemployment in Italy, Italy is suffering enough. Just because Prada shoes in US are expensive, fancy does not mean all are.

So far, my favorite Pope has been Papst Benedikt XVI, sorry he abdicated. He was working on bringing separated factions back, like SSPX.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:25 PM
Email Reported As Spam

The choice of Pope is always political and reflects the thinking of the hierarcy. The pope has an 84% approval rating but wait................

Pope Francis can continue his humility tour but the day is arriving shortly where the opposing factions in the church will collide and when it does watch out.

I am a nominal Catholic for many reasons others fall back. However, I do not condem the church anymore so concerning the sexual scandals than I do schools, work places, etc. For whatever reason(s) all of these establishments tried to hide abuses. so I find fault equally with all of them.

My preference would be to return to the traditional church but that is not going to happen. I miss the Latin mass. I always hated the so called "rock masses"
Old 03-19-2013, 05:33 PM
Sage
Default The mystery and beauty of the Latin Mass

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
The choice of Pope is always political and reflects the thinking of the hierarcy. The pope has an 84% approval rating but wait................

Pope Francis can continue his humility tour but the day is arriving shortly where the opposing factions in the church will collide and when it does watch out.

I am a nominal Catholic for many reasons others fall back. However, I do not condem the church anymore so concerning the sexual scandals than I do schools, work places, etc. For whatever reason(s) all of these establishments tried to hide abuses. so I find fault equally with all of them.

My preference would be to return to the traditional church but that is not going to happen. I miss the Latin mass. I always hated the so called "rock masses"

Like you, I also remember the beauty and mystery of the Latin mass.

In 1965, we were among the first to be married in an English mass and then in 1968 our first child was baptized with the priest speaking in English.

The Godparents were shocked.

They were Catholics who had attended Catholic schools but didn't like what the "ceremony" translated to......in the English language.

I guess although none of us ever understood what was being said in our childhood and teens......(Latin) unless one studied Latin.......it was the mystery of it all......the beautiful music, etc.

I never cared for the modern folk masses either........but we took our kids to church every Sunday.........

When my mom passed, we buried her from her old Greek Catholic, now called Byzantine or Eastern Rite......their service was so beautiful, it literally transported one to another place........it was the chanting of the Orthodox monks and priest, nuns, etc...........it just felt "holy". She was back where she belonged. She had loved both the Greek and the Roman Catholic churches but raised us in our dad's church.

I think I know why my Italian grandmother went to mass every morning back in the 1890's and beyond until age 90.....at the old Saint Patrick's Cathedral.......and also the church of Our Lady of Loreto.......with all the kids at home, it must have been a nice change, a peaceful oasis........the beautiful music, the lit candles, the flowers, etc........and the peace and quiet to meditate and pray.

Ditto for my Ukrainian grandmother who would often go to her Greek Catholic Church and would take me with her.........and my mom as well.

Nowadays, so many churches lock their doors and are closed.
When we traveled, we would always stop......not too many churches are open anymore. When we were little girls, we'd all walk back down to the church on a Sunday afternoon to light candles........or do the Stations of the Cross..........it was convenient and always open .......

Anyway, I know exactly what you mean...........the end of an era for sure.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:05 PM
Veteran member

It is a shame that the churches have to be closed during the day when no Mass, to much vandalism and thievery by people who don't know what they are doing.

Many churches in Europe have a compromise. A metal gate is across the church towards the back, leaving 5-6 pews open. People can come in and pray in the back.

Right now I could get in our Parish Church because I have a key as GK. But I only use it for meetings.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffysmom View Post
It's my understading the the Pope represents Christ on earth. Jesus didn't prance around in gold, satin robes or designer clothing. He was a simple carpenter and wasn't interested in the trappings of power that the CC feels is important today. People today equate rich trappings with power but actually this Pope seems to be teaching us that real power comes from the Christ within.

I totally agree.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
It is a shame that the churches have to be closed during the day when no Mass, to much vandalism and thievery by people who don't know what they are doing.

Many churches in Europe have a compromise. A metal gate is across the church towards the back, leaving 5-6 pews open. People can come in and pray in the back.

Right now I could get in our Parish Church because I have a key as GK. But I only use it for meetings.
You are right, it is a shame.........
Old 03-20-2013, 05:15 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Unfortunately in Ireland the churches are closed because there aren't priests available to say mass. Also the catholics in Ireland are devastated by the the CC's hierachy's betrayal in allowing known pedophile priests access to their children. There is much work to do, they need to clean out the evil from the top down. Watching the cardinals arriving at the Vatican I was struck by the nuns opening the car doors for the church's royalty and then kneeing to kiss their rings. Archaic and ridiculous!!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.