Post about something - products made in China

Closed Thread
Old 12-11-2018, 10:19 AM
Email Reported As Spam
Default Post about something - products made in China

OK here is something to comment on, productively, we hope.

Subject: Made in China.
Well, years ago, we go to a hardware store, or any store, buy a made in USA item. If it is defective, we go back to the store, we get another, and the defective part goes back to the factory, Stanley, Plomb, American Standard, Crescent, Starrett, Snap-on etc.
Now, we mostly need to toss it. Then buy another, but it is made in China. So, long ago, the factory fixed the problem, now you cannot return anything to the factory,,,,,,,,,,,,,MADE IN CHINA. Thank you for your comments. It seems that we could get somewhere if we refused to buy Made IN China?

Brawney123
Old 12-11-2018, 11:35 AM
fw102807

We try very hard not to buy things that come from China due to fears of lead and other toxic ingredients. My blood pressure meds, made in China, were just recalled because they were found to contain carcinogens and I know there have been instances of toys and pet food that were contaminated. We have found the quality of many products to be poor also and as you say "throw away" rather than fix. It is virtually impossible however to not buy anything Made in China since that is the only place some things are made.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,708 Times in 5,240 Posts

I think it is all about cost. American consumers almost always choose to buy the cheaper item, and it is usually made in China.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

I swear to you guys that the Flag my son just ordered from Amazon was made in CHINA. UNBELIEVABLE. NOTHING but Chinese food comes into our house knowingly. His Flag went back Pronto Prente.

Gillette razor blades, very expensive but keeps Americans working, mark me down. No more cheap junk to save a buck.

Our new flag Is MADE IN AMERICA, as it should be. High Quality too. Flag Store on 441 is fantastic.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:44 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
I swear to you guys that the Flag my son just ordered from Amazon was made in CHINA. UNBELIEVABLE. NOTHING but Chinese food comes into our house knowingly. His Flag went back Pronto Prente.

Gillette razor blades, very expensive but keeps Americans working, mark me down. No more cheap junk to save a buck.

Our new flag Is MADE IN AMERICA, as it should be. High Quality too. Flag Store on 441 is fantastic.
I hate to break it to you but even Gillette products are deceptively marketed and not totally made in the USA. That is the sad part many companies are doing this.

Despite Boston-Made Claims, Many Gillette Products Wicked Imported | Truth In Advertising
Old 12-11-2018, 12:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I think it is all about cost. American consumers almost always choose to buy the cheaper item, and it is usually made in China.
While cost is probably the leading factor, I personally don't believe...it is all of it by any means.

The beginning of the decline of American automobile manufacturing dominance, 40 or so years ago...being the prime example.

That occurred primarily, because Japanese vehicles were being built that were more reliable, more fuel efficient, offered more features...but did not always cost less.

Instead of trying to compete by improving quality, fuel efficiency, styling and lowering costs, Detroit just started whining and deflecting with trying to depend on patriotism by screeching..."Buy American."

I (as I believe many others do) will always try to buy American made products, even if they cost a little bit more, when I can...but 'VALUE' has to be a part of the equation.

And value, to me, doesn't just mean...'lowest cost.'

Recognizing, of course, that for all too many millions of low income American families...cost has to be their primary concern.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:52 PM
Send a message via Yahoo to the square

Watch any episode of Shark Tank. They constantly push the entropuurnors (boy did I beat that up) to get their products made in China. Especially Mr. Wonderful. A couple have refused to do that and lost a deal.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,708 Times in 5,240 Posts

I don't think that this is just a China vs USA issue. American consumers have just become too darn cheap. They are so cheap that the airlines, which are mostly American companies, have to treat their customers like sardines to compete with each other. Otherwise, they would go out of business. And, the car manufacturers, some of the largest companies in the world, have to depend on sleezy salespeople who lie to and cheat the customers into thinking they are getting a good deal on a car.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 12-11-2018 at 01:50 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:15 PM
Platinum member

I have to disqualify myself as the laptop (Dell) I am using was made in China.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Waaaaaay tooo simplistic.

It is more of some and less of another. People may not be being cheap rather just being practical, and sacrifice and saving and using what you have is often not used by people with lower income, the way many of us lived in our early lives. None of the mothers I knew had manicures and most of them had home perms. I didn't feel deprived, those folks knew how to be thrifty. I still consider it a virtue.

If I remember correctly, Nixon opened trade with China, and Bush opened gates to Mexico. Politics is an ugly business, both sides, my friends. BUT at the time it seemed right. That's the problem, hardly anything is completely right ...or wrong.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:50 PM

And Chinese food is nothing like what they eat over there. China was the most polluted place I have ever been, it was staggering and sad. I would live in India over China. Everyone smokes, coughs, and spits all over the place. It was Dante's inferno.

There are also some beautiful less traveled areas. I will also point out the whole country is on one timezone. Comrades must be able to all have lunch at the same time.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:44 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Post View Post
And Chinese food is nothing like what they eat over there. China was the most polluted place I have ever been, it was staggering and sad. I would live in India over China. Everyone smokes, coughs, and spits all over the place. It was Dante's inferno.

There are also some beautiful less traveled areas. I will also point out the whole country is on one timezone. Comrades must be able to all have lunch at the same time.
I have heard that before from people I know who went there and said they would never go back.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

IMO i all began when metric fasteners was allowed to enter the us auto industry. Up to few years ago us made aircraft engines have no metric fasteners ( I don’t know now due out of the work force for 5 years) I hated working on my late 60s and newer cars having to have two sets of sockets and wrenches. But, it didn’t bother companies management which was looking to save dime to gain buck in bonus. Then, the government sold us out ceos lobbying for cheap labor. Now, few items are truly American made. US was supposed to go all metric which is BS to me, but that never happen due to outrageous costs involved. So we suffer for political and profit gains for 1%er’s

Another thing, before China could make anything it was made in Japan junk, Now japan made items are considered the highest quality in the world. Even Japanese parts are made in China. Now, About everything cast in made in China due no regulations and slave labor. The are few items for sale in stores that don’t have Chinese connections. In the end the will be the super power and we helps them for 100 years. IMO The world as we know it will be very different in about 20 years.

Last edited by Topspinmo; 12-12-2018 at 08:38 AM.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:19 AM
Soaring Eagle member

What surprises me about cars, and I've had many makes and models, is the quality, fit and finish of the Kia, a Korean car, unbelieveable.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 12-12-2018, 09:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
What surprises me about cars, and I've had many makes and models, is the quality, fit and finish of the Kia, a Korean car, unbelieveable.
Korea is not China and Japan is not China. Those countries have a capaitalist economic system while Chins is still mostly communist.

There are several different ways that items get made in China. One is that a Chinese owned an operated company puts out cheap low quality products and sells them in the U.S. They make money in spite of tariffs.

Another way is that some Chinese companies make knockoffs of American goods. Some of these are terrible quality, but surprisingly, some are quite good. This is a big problem for our manufacturers and our country. China doesn't obey international laws and we are dependent on the Chinese government to stop this practice. The problem is that he Chinese government has no reason to stop it.

The last two types of items that are made in China and sold in the U.S. are items that are made in China by U.S. owned companies. There are two different ways this works. The first is that a company hires a Chinese company to make their products. Those products are usually of low quality as the parent company has no oversight as to how the products are being manufactured and they really don't care. They are making a good profit and are successful.

The second thing that happens is that a U.S. company sets up a manufacturing operation in China and sends people from the U.S. to live in China and over see the operation. These facilities are usually very clean and provide good jobs and living conditions for Chinese people. The products produced are of very high quality because the company hires, trains and oversees the employees manufacturing the products. Apple is an example of this last method.

Another thing that is happening is that some U.S. companies are setting up operations in China to build their products to be sold in China. They usually make less profit selling their products but it is a new market for them. General Motors does this. They are selling lots of Chinese made Chevys in China. I have no idea if those cars are of good quality or not.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Closed Thread

Tags
china, made, buy, store, back

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.