Post about something - products made in China

Closed Thread
Old 12-12-2018, 09:44 AM
Default None of this is new-actually a historical repeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brawnwy123 View Post
OK here is something to comment on, productively, we hope.

Subject: Made in China.
Well, years ago, we go to a hardware store, or any store, buy a made in USA item. If it is defective, we go back to the store, we get another, and the defective part goes back to the factory, Stanley, Plomb, American Standard, Crescent, Starrett, Snap-on etc.
Now, we mostly need to toss it. Then buy another, but it is made in China. So, long ago, the factory fixed the problem, now you cannot return anything to the factory,,,,,,,,,,,,,MADE IN CHINA. Thank you for your comments. It seems that we could get somewhere if we refused to buy Made IN China?

Brawney123
Quality tools used to be made in England. If, you have ever used a Morris woodworking plane you will see not only why they were expensive but that they do in fact work far better than the
Bailey/STANLEY planes that for most of us is the only ones use have ever used.

Far as our view of Chinese and lost quality, Morris was put out of production by the CHEAPER American Stanley planes. Today, what was the CHEAPER plane is being replaced by the even CHEAPER Chinese copy. The GOOD OLD DAYS. Aside, you can still buy a used Morris plane for about $300. Millions of CHEAP CHINESE planes are sold for about $20. For most of us a plane,
you can buy a CHEAP CHINESE power plane for about $50.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:55 AM
Gold member

I won't eat Tilapia because every package I check come for China or that part of the world. I read in a magazine yester that Tilapia is a great fish. I am waiting for a US fish farmer to put them on the market.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:06 AM
Default Amusing? Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Korea is not China and Japan is not China. Those countries have a capaitalist economic system while Chins is still mostly communist.

There are several different ways that items get made in China. One is that a Chinese owned an operated company puts out cheap low quality products and sells them in the U.S. They make money in spite of tariffs.

Another way is that some Chinese companies make knockoffs of American goods. Some of these are terrible quality, but surprisingly, some are quite good. This is a big problem for our manufacturers and our country. China doesn't obey international laws and we are dependent on the Chinese government to stop this practice. The problem is that he Chinese government has no reason to stop it.

The last two types of items that are made in China and sold in the U.S. are items that are made in China by U.S. owned companies. There are two different ways this works. The first is that a company hires a Chinese company to make their products. Those products are usually of low quality as the parent company has no oversight as to how the products are being manufactured and they really don't care. They are making a good profit and are successful.

The second thing that happens is that a U.S. company sets up a manufacturing operation in China and sends people from the U.S. to live in China and over see the operation. These facilities are usually very clean and provide good jobs and living conditions for Chinese people. The products produced are of very high quality because the company hires, trains and oversees the employees manufacturing the products. Apple is an example of this last method.

Another thing that is happening is that some U.S. companies are setting up operations in China to build their products to be sold in China. They usually make less profit selling their products but it is a new market for them. General Motors does this. They are selling lots of Chinese made Chevys in China. I have no idea if those cars are of good quality or not.
I used to sell for an AMERICAN manufacturer of photo equipment.

At the regular trade shows you would always see Chinese or to be fair Oriental people looking at what you have with the intent of copying it.
Our main product is now obsolete-not killed by the Chinese copy but sales were surely damaged. The product was used in a damp and chemical laden environment. The paint was expensive. Many parts were stainless steel-and they famously lasted even in professional use.
The Chinese copied our product. To our amusement, they even copied a useless hole that was needed for a never sold accessory. We had a liberal five year warranty on our product.
It was both amusing BUT COSTLY to need to reply and ship back to people who returned the CHINESE COPY that had fallen apart and rusted in a short time. Damage to our reputation. Cost to us?
A major problem for branded products. A Rolex copy for $10?
I recall being offered ASEIKONON watches. A bit of nail polish remover and it is now a SEIKO watch. Even the filters for your refrigerator. There are seemingly original Whirlpool filters that are actually CHINESE KNOCKOFFS. Only easy way to tell is a slight difference in wieght. Assuming you have an accurate scale-when was the last time you even considered weighing a water filter.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:36 AM
Default Re:fish+plus history+prejudice

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyf View Post
I won't eat Tilapia because every package I check come for China or that part of the world. I read in a magazine yester that Tilapia is a great fish. I am waiting for a US fish farmer to put them on the market.
Fresh fish such as sold by Winn Dixie and Publix. If, you are not aware, all the fish they sell is filleted. WHY? The reason is that the
"fresh fish," is far from fresh. If they showed it on the carcass you could see that-eyes get cloudy and the gills turn brown. What you buy FROZEN at lower cost is actually fresher as it is processed and frozen on huge factory ships.

Far as farm raised fish. Like everything else COST is important.
You will find many articles claiming that wild caught fish are better for you.

Far as healthy. Supposedly the best fish for you are the gamy oily fish that are low on the food chain such as mackerel or baby mackerel we call sardines. I do not like either. We buy and eat
fish like Tilapia, Cod, Flounder, Fluke (sole-summer flounder-same fish). Pollock,.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
I hate to break it to you but even Gillette products are deceptively marketed and not totally made in the USA. That is the sad part many companies are doing this.

Despite Boston-Made Claims, Many Gillette Products Wicked Imported | Truth In Advertising
I am grateful to be made aware of this. I have tried every blade that is advertised by every company and this seems to work the best but is more expensive for sure. I'm still going to stick with it. Unbelievable, why wouldn't they say a percentage when they advertise how much their product is made here. You have to have eyes in the back of your head. Can't trust anyone.

I broke down on buying my car from an American Company after being true blue for over 30 years. This is not the way I was raised. American was the only way to go but 10 year 100,000-mile warranty VS. 5-year 50,000-mile warranty makes it a no-brainer and kick in zero interest on the foreign car, PLEASE.

Everyone has their own line as far as buying or consuming something foreign. Our Teamster insisted on all the ingredients to make concrete be from the U.S.A. When Cement was imported from Greece they actually thought about stopping deliveries. There was a shortage of cement the Cement Mills in the U.S.A. couldn't keep up with demand. They took two days off then got back to work. Sometimes it just makes sense. IMHO.

My intentions are always good. Thank's Mrs. FW.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:52 AM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
I am grateful to be made aware of this. I have tried every blade that is advertised by every company and this seems to work the best but is more expensive for sure. I'm still going to stick with it. Unbelievable, why wouldn't they say a percentage when they advertise how much their product is made here. You have to have eyes in the back of your head. Can't trust anyone.

I broke down on buying my car from an American Company after being true blue for over 30 years. This is not the way I was raised. American was the only way to go but 10 year 100,000-mile warranty VS. 5-year 50,000-mile warranty makes it a no-brainer and kick in zero interest on the foreign car, PLEASE.

Everyone has their own line as far as buying or consuming something foreign. Our Teamster insisted on all the ingredients to make concrete be from the U.S.A. When Cement was imported from Greece they actually thought about stopping deliveries. There was a shortage of cement the Cement Mills in the U.S.A. couldn't keep up with demand. They took two days off then got back to work. Sometimes it just makes sense. IMHO.

My intentions are always good. Thank's Mrs. FW.
My husband used to use Gillette also but tried the new Harry's Blades that they sell in Walmart and actually liked them better and they are cheaper. They are made in Germany.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,883 Times in 2,429 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyf View Post
Tilapia the fish compared to European carp, but with refined name.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

We certainly amuse and educate each other when allowed to get off the subject. We act like a bunch of funny, smart, old people.

I like it.

Tags
china, made, buy, store, back

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.