Powerwashers hate me

Closed Thread
Old 04-20-2011, 12:48 PM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii
Unhappy Powerwashers hate me

Here in the Pacific Northwest we get moss growing on our walkways and driveways that have to be powerwashed off with the turbo tip.

We have purchased two power washers in the past few months and both have been defective. Either that or I am an idiot. The first one leaked gas out of the engine so we returned it. We figured maybe a simpiler electric would be better. We tried it out for about 20 min. just to make sure it worked ok and would remove the moss. Went to use it again to get the moss off the driveway and the engine wouldn't switch back up to pressure after sliding into idle.
Lowes took both back no problem but as both died on the second use I am feeling like I am a jinx.

Does anyone have a simple to use power washer that they like and could you share the make and model.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:36 PM
Sage

Trudy - I have a Campbell-Hausfeld 1750 psi electric powerwasher that works well for me. I use it to clean the lanai and cage floor as well as the aluminum frame for the cage and the screening. I can't find the model number, sorry.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

Any make that is smart enough to use a Honda engine.
I have a 2500 psi unit from Home Depot with a Honda engine and it has been running like new for almost 10 years.

Make sure you prime the unit with RV anti freeze when letting it sit for a lengthy period of time.

btk
Old 04-20-2011, 11:35 PM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii
Default Prime with antifreeze?

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Any make that is smart enough to use a Honda engine.
I have a 2500 psi unit from Home Depot with a Honda engine and it has been running like new for almost 10 years.

Make sure you prime the unit with RV anti freeze when letting it sit for a lengthy period of time.

btk
Do you mean run antifreeze through the pump so it doesn't freeze? It really doesn't get cold enough here to freeze up something stored in the garage. Or does it need to have it for another reason. I do read instructions but otherwise I am clue less, and my engineer husband is structural aerospace and not great with them either. If it isn't a turbine he is almost as lost as I am.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:44 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrudyM View Post
Do you mean run antifreeze through the pump so it doesn't freeze? It really doesn't get cold enough here to freeze up something stored in the garage. Or does it need to have it for another reason. I do read instructions but otherwise I am clue less, and my engineer husband is structural aerospace and not great with them either. If it isn't a turbine he is almost as lost as I am.
Trudy - You're right - you'll want to run RV antifreeze through the pump prior to storage to prevent any residual water remaining in the system from freezing in the wintertime. However, it's also a good idea to also do that any time as the RV antifreeze is good for the pump internals (seals, etc.) - helps keep them lubricated.

Here's something I found in an owner's manual for a Delta pressure washer to support the concept:

from http://www.mikestools.com/download/D...l-D25130-E.pdf

NOTE: If storing the unit for more than 30 days RV antifreeze or windshield washer fluid needs to be run through the pump. This helps prevent damage within the pump head. RV antifreeze or windshield washer fluid is not only added for winterizing, but for proper lubrication regardless of temperature or environment. Storing the pump less than 30 days does not require the RV
antifreeze or windshield washer fluid.

I always run some through our pressure washer after each use as I'm never sure when I'll be using it next!!

Hope that helps -

Bill
Old 04-21-2011, 05:24 AM
Platinum member

Never heard of such a thing. How would you go about getting said anti-freeze into the pump?

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 04-21-2011, 06:33 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by getdul981 View Post
Never heard of such a thing. How would you go about getting said anti-freeze into the pump?
This might not be the only way, but it works for me!!

Needed items:

- short piece of hose with male threaded connector end
- funnel
- some RV antifreeze

1. Disconnect your garden hose from the pressure washer
2. Connect short piece of hose to pressure washer (where garden hose would normally connect
3. Start pressure washer - run at idle speed
4. Hold end of short hose up above pressure washer
5. Insert funnel end in hose (probably will need to hold funnel in hose)
6. Pour RV antifreeze into funnel until the water coming out of the pressure washer outlet is pink
7. Shut down pressure washer

I usually leave the outlet hose from the pressure washer (that goes to the spray wand) connected so that I can control where the antifreeze/water solution coming out winds up (leave spray wand disconnected). In fairly concentrated form, I have seen the RV antifreeze kill off grass in the lawn.

On a gas powered machine, I always shut the fuel supply off before starting this and let the unit run out of fuel by the time I finish. That way the machine doesn't get stored with fuel in the carb.

You might also want to leave a small container on the floor under the pressure washer inlet to catch any residual RV antifreeze that might dribble out.

Bill
Old 04-21-2011, 08:23 AM

If in Freezing area's you need to run antifreeze (RV) though pump. If in area's that will not freeze there also is a pump lub that you can buy from Lowe's or Home Depot that you just screw onto the inlet on your pump (end where you hook your garden hose on) and press the button for couple seconds and the oil mix will start coming out the other end.

That is the best way for times of year when you know it won't freeze. Other than that the RV antifreeze can be put in with a short piece of hose. Attach hose and pour into hose until full then either wait or pull cord a few times (not starting engine = switch off).

Mine has lasted since mid 90's and never a problem (also always buy one with a Honda engine.

aj
Old 04-21-2011, 10:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

Do what Bill says above. You can also accomplish the same thing by not starting the engine....just pull the start rope until you see the RV anti freeze coming out then crank it a couple more.

Yes, the anti freeze is good for the seals and the pump. They do have a tendency to seize up even in mild weather with prolong no use.

btk
Old 04-22-2011, 01:54 AM
Gold member
Default You guys are great

None of this was in the instructions of either unit I bought, I am now wondering if that is what was wrong with the first one I bought although It didn't leak water it leaked gas. The second one had an electrical switch issue.
I told hubby what you said and we are going to stop by Home Depot and see if they have a Honda engine one that looks not too complicated.
Will pick up some anitfreeze at the same time.

Thaks so much.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:59 AM

Well you can do what I did.
My son moved and gave me his. Said to me I could keep it. Of course. The unit leaks a lot when on. is rusted out and the handle is rusted and broke. I tried to use it and ended up power washing myself more then what I was trying to clean. It is now on it's way to the garbage. So I guess I still have to buy one.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:44 AM
Platinum member

Mine is electric, but I guess I should put some lubricant of some sort it it after use.

Thanks for the input.

Another question. Is the antifreeze that you put in it anything like the antifreeze thatt is used in automobiles? If it is, you have to be extremely careful about any spillage since it is lethal to cats and dogs.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 04-22-2011, 06:47 AM

Quote:
None of this was in the instructions of either unit I bought, I am now wondering if that is what was wrong with the first one I bought although It didn't leak water it leaked gas. The second one had an electrical switch issue.
I told hubby what you said and we are going to stop by Home Depot and see if they have a Honda engine one that looks not too complicated.
Will pick up some anitfreeze at the same time.

Thaks so much.
As long as you are there have them show you the pump lub, it will be worth your while...

aj
Old 04-22-2011, 07:28 AM
Sage

Quote:
.....Will pick up some anitfreeze at the same time.

Thaks so much.
Trudy - Just make sure to get "RV antifreeze". It'll be in a one-gallon plastic jug and will be pink in color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getdul981 View Post
.....Another question. Is the antifreeze that you put in it anything like the antifreeze thatt is used in automobiles? If it is, you have to be extremely careful about any spillage since it is lethal to cats and dogs.
Greg - I've never looked at the content label on a bottle of RV antifreeze before. But here's an MSDS sheet from one manufacturer that might be of use: http://www.chemicalspec.com/Winter_C...Antifreeze.pdf

All I know is if it knocks down grass (been there, done that!), it's probably not good for pets or people!

Bill
Old 04-22-2011, 12:44 PM
Sage

I have a Troy Built 2600 PSI with Honda engine. Never used anti-freeze in it nor remember reading to do so. I do start it every 4 weeks to keep from having trouble with gummed up carburetor due to the Ethanol in the gas. I also use Sta-bile in the gas for Ethanol. I had a generator that I didn't start for about 2 months, then I couldn't get it started. Costs me $100 to get the thing started and the tech told me to start every month and run it for 10 to 15 minutes. I believe I bought mine at Lowes.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.