Preppers

Closed Thread
Old 05-18-2020, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisbum View Post
I would hazard a guess to say you are probably a pickleball player...….just a guess!
Wrong guess! When I was still physically able (no longer true), I was an avid golfer and occasional tennis player; have never been a pickle ball player.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I am not now, nor have I ever been a prepper.

It just strikes me as wrong-headed when someone admits they know nothing about a subject (the subject being a group of people) and then makes up their own definition that describes this group of people that is wrong and offensive. They go on and confidently describe this group's motivations and actions.

Come to think of it...it reminds me of why politics has descended to the endless mud-slinging we see today. "What they want to do is..." "They are motivated by..."

AND I'm really curious...if anyone posts on TOTV, they have at their disposal a wonderful google-machine that can cure their ignorance...yet so many do not take advantage of this capability. It reminds me of an old friend -- who was frequently wrong but NEVER in doubt!

Wishing to be friends is quick work, but friendship is a slow ripening fruit. Aristotle

Last edited by Rebel Pirate; 05-18-2020 at 12:54 PM. Reason: added punctuation
Old 05-18-2020, 12:56 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Preppers are the ones you won't see hoarding or rushing to the supermarket because they don't have the necessities to survive. They will already have everything they need. I commend them. They will be prepared.
Steve
Old 05-18-2020, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
Preppers are the ones you won't see hoarding or rushing to the supermarket because they don't have the necessities to survive. They will already have everything they need. I commend them. They will be prepared.
Steve
I've never knocked people with the extreme desire to survive events. Some have made this a career over the years. Well. Excuse me for now. Today is gun cleaning and ammo count day. Have a goid one.
Old 05-18-2020, 03:20 PM

"Preppers" are for the lack of a better word, nuts. No apology necessary.
Old 05-18-2020, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDVeteran View Post
Nailed it.
Old 05-18-2020, 04:12 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts

I can't help but wonder, how many of those protestor's shown recently all gunned up and dressed like they're rejected mercenaries, are also prepper's who are frustrated that they haven't been able to use their armory stockpiles - so are seeing if they can start something?
Old 05-18-2020, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Just curious...what is it that makes them nuts?

Wishing to be friends is quick work, but friendship is a slow ripening fruit. Aristotle
Old 05-18-2020, 04:32 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Pirate View Post
“A prepper is a person who takes measures in advance to ensure the economic, physical and emotional well-being of their family during times of struggle.”

Wow, that sounds evil…and scary! Where did that definition come from? It came from Jane, the founder of a 5,000-member Reddit group called “PandemicPreps.”

Preppers are like tennis players (or golfers, if you prefer)…their true nature probably lies somewhere on a continuum anchored by extremes of the definition. One extreme would be (1) someone who occasionally plays tennis/golf for fun and socializing with fellow players who become friends. Another extreme would be (2) those who play tennis/golf every day, to the exclusion of all other activities; they have obsessive-compulsive personality disorder and may be scary when they go off their meds; they are overly competitive/aggressive; they don’t socialize with non-golfer/tennis players and are unforgiving of anyone who isn’t a compulsive golfer/tennis player.

Some replies to this post at least deal with their lack of knowledge by asking the inoffensive question “what is a prepper?” Some replies to this post (and other posts about preppers) deal with a lack of knowledge by making up their own incorrect and offensive definitions. That would be like me (a non-golfer/tennis player) saying “my definition of a golfer/tennis player is”… #2 above.”

Preppers just want to be prepared for foreseeable disasters, like hurricanes (around here), tornadoes (in the plains), snow storms (up north), disruptions to the economy (anywhere), etc, etc. Scary! It’s only scary if you let your disagreeable and repulsive assumptions run wild.

Preppers are just like most of us…except they did not become unprepared, panic shoppers in the past several months…BECAUSE they were prepared. When the stores were slammed by panic shoppers, preppers were home...and stayed home...because they were prepared. All the other offensive elements of the definitions provided by some of our resident conspiracy theorists are just figments of their overworked imaginations.
I think it would be nice to know 1 or 2 " Preppers " simply because it would be handy just in case ya need a cup of sugar or a packet of yeast.

Hey maybe they are the ones who are stockpiling the yeast.
Old 05-18-2020, 04:38 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600th Photo Sq View Post
I think it would be nice to know 1 or 2 " Preppers " simply because it would be handy just in case ya need a cup of sugar or a packet of yeast.

Hey maybe they are the ones who are stockpiling the yeast.
To some extent you are right.
Steve
Old 05-18-2020, 06:36 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,780 Times in 728 Posts

Being a prepper would be ideal if we had a horrible disaster every 2 years. Unless you’re saving C-rations, the shelf life of most items is short and then it could all be destroyed, stolen or contaminated by the horrible disaster
Old 05-18-2020, 06:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,417 Times in 2,267 Posts

When did being prepared become a bad thing?

I'm not paranoid. I've learned from experience. And it has paid off.

We live in Washington State. When the Fukushima nuclear reactors melted down they thought the radiation cloud might reach the west coast. I bought N-95 masks. Thankfully didn't need them.

Fast forward to Covid-19. My wife is a nurse. Her hospital ran low on N-95's early on and was only giving them to personnel who worked with Covid patients their entire shifts. My wife only entered Covid rooms when she had to perform a specific task so only received an uprated surgical mask. I was able to send her to work with an N-95 everyday until the hospital was able to replenish their stock.

We live in an earthquake prone part of the country. We have lots of bridges that go over water. Without bridges to cross that water, trucks can't deliver groceries. So I have enough shelf stable food to last awhile. If any number of those bridges collapse while my wife is at work there will be no way for her to drive home. Luckily we live about a mile from Puget Sound and can actually launch a boat locally and pick her up at the marina a block from the hospital.

Ever think about what would happen if we had another truckers strike? You think the shelves emptied fast for Covid? You ain't seen nothing.
You can call this paranoia all you want but it's simple forethought with a little investment in planning.

A failure to plan is a plan to fail..

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 05-18-2020, 06:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Zaikov View Post
So those are the ones who took all the toilet paper and yeast
No. They are the ones who already had toilet paper and yeast..

Old 05-18-2020, 07:00 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,780 Times in 728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
When did being prepared become a bad thing?

I'm not paranoid. I've learned from experience. And it has paid off.

We live in Washington State. When the Fukushima nuclear reactors melted down they thought the radiation cloud might reach the west coast. I bought N-95 masks. Thankfully didn't need them.

Fast forward to Covid-19. My wife is a nurse. Her hospital ran low on N-95's early on and was only giving them to personnel who worked with Covid patients their entire shifts. My wife only entered Covid rooms when she had to perform a specific task so only received an uprated surgical mask. I was able to send her to work with an N-95 everyday until the hospital was able to replenish their stock.

We live in an earthquake prone part of the country. We have lots of bridges that go over water. Without bridges to cross that water, trucks can't deliver groceries. So I have enough shelf stable food to last awhile. If any number of those bridges collapse while my wife is at work there will be no way for her to drive home. Luckily we live about a mile from Puget Sound and can actually launch a boat locally and pick her up at the marina a block from the hospital.

Ever think about what would happen if we had another truckers strike? You think the shelves emptied fast for Covid? You ain't seen nothing.
You can call this paranoia all you want but it's simple forethought with a little investment in planning.

A failure to plan is a plan to fail..
Have you also planned how to deal with the have-nots who want your things because their families are starving since the horrible disaster hit but they do have loaded guns.
Old 05-18-2020, 07:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Nuts are the people who get banned from this website but keep creating new accounts.

Old 05-18-2020, 07:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
Have you also planned how to deal with the have-nots who want your things because their families are starving since the horrible disaster hit?
Of course..

Closed Thread

Tags
preppers, past, judgmental, things, threads

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.