Preppers

Closed Thread
Old 05-19-2020, 03:27 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,780 Times in 728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Pirate View Post
This is the crux of the reason I began this thread. True "preppers" are non-threatening, supportive, self-reliant members of society. Yet, there are MANY posters who can't devote the 1-2 minutes required to determine the nature of preppers. It's much easier to fill-in the blanks (in their knowledge) with ridiculous comments that would make preppers the focus of animus by the many squirrels who never put nuts away for the winter.

Boy Scouts, the armed forces, and many government civilian agencies, practice and preach preparedness. Yet, locally there are many "haters" who are more than happy to target others simply because they believe and act somewhat differently than them, albeit in a non-threatening manner. Haters are gonna hate...
Haters is your terminology. I don’t hate the choice people make. I’m sharing my thoughts on hoarding, from my viewpoint. It’s an exchange of perspectives, if you will. Some of us don’t want houses or rooms packed with disaster “stuff”, live for the next disaster, rotate our supplies for the disaster or worry about my house falling into a sinkhole here with my stuff. We grocery shop for two weeks at a time and that’s it. Let face it, if the disaster is so severe, it’s a moot point. If it’s not a national disaster, hoarding probably won’t be necessary. We all view the world through different lenses.

Take a breath.
Old 05-19-2020, 04:04 PM

Preppers are not hoarders. Preppers have supplies on hand for emergencies. Each one determines the amount of time they want to prepare to be self sufficient (weeks or months). They check their supplies regularly and rotate their stock. Preppers are the ones who do not cause a burden on emergency aid agencies for extended support, thereby protecting those who are unable or too self centered to take care of themselves. Preppers aid those who need assistance, but will not be taken advantage of by those who are capable of taking care of themselves.
Old 05-19-2020, 04:05 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
Haters is your terminology. I don’t hate the choice people make. I’m sharing my thoughts on hoarding, from my viewpoint. It’s an exchange of perspectives, if you will. Some of us don’t want houses or rooms packed with disaster “stuff”, live for the next disaster, rotate our supplies for the disaster or worry about my house falling into a sinkhole here with my stuff. We grocery shop for two weeks at a time and that’s it. Let face it, if the disaster is so severe, it’s a moot point. If it’s not a national disaster, hoarding probably won’t be necessary. We all view the world through different lenses.

Take a breath.
There's a BIG difference between being a "prepper", which means just being prepared, and a "hoarder".
Steve
Old 05-19-2020, 04:19 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amexsbow View Post
Preppers are not hoarders. Preppers have supplies on hand for emergencies. Each one determines the amount of time they want to prepare to be self sufficient (weeks or months). They check their supplies regularly and rotate their stock. Preppers are the ones who do not cause a burden on emergency aid agencies for extended support, thereby protecting those who are unable or too self centered to take care of themselves. Preppers aid those who need assistance, but will not be taken advantage of by those who are capable of taking care of themselves.
Well said.
Steve
Old 05-19-2020, 04:48 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,780 Times in 728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
There's a BIG difference between being a "prepper", which means just being prepared, and a "hoarder".
Steve
Perform an online search for hoarding food and supplies. Semantics.

Some people enjoy it, some don’t. No big deal.
Closed Thread

Tags
preppers, past, judgmental, things, threads

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.