Price of Gasoline

Closed Thread
Old 05-12-2011, 10:28 AM
Sage
Default Price of Gasoline

I was wondering is someone could enlighten me on why the price of gasoline keeps going up while people are driving less because on the cost.

How do you feel about the high price for a gallon of gasoline.

I know some people will say it doesn't affect them too much as they drive everywhere in their golf carts.

To me, it's the same old story of the oil companies raising their prices and socking it to the consumer.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:58 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Everything is relative..... We are one of the largest consumers [if not the largest consumer] of petroleum products in the world and our prices are dirt cheap, compared to other countries. The US also sits on some of the largest oil reserves on the planet, albeit untapped. But that's a topic for the political forum...

Prices are always higher in the summer months, but with oil at less than $100/barrel, prices will begin to ease soon. The irony, oil prices drop, my portfolio suffers tremendously...

I agree though....it's painful at the pump!
Old 05-12-2011, 11:10 AM
Soaring Eagle member

World wide demand is increasing the costs and in the US rules and regulations make the manufacture more and more expensive so that gets passed on along with increased taxes.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:54 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Judging by the wide range of responses so far about the rise in the prices of gas, I think it's pretty obvious that there are a wide range of reasons for the rise and not just one single reason. In addition to what's already been offered, a few days ago I saw a chart for at least a 10 year period on the prices of gas and thought it quite a coincidence that the prices were steadly going down until around the time of the 2007 elections when they began a steady rise into 2011. But further discussion about that might also belong in the political forum!
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 05-12-2011, 01:13 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Price

As of yesterday Shell on 466A was the cheapest around. Now that's a switch!!
Old 05-12-2011, 04:40 PM
Platinum member

The cost of gasoline is not necessarily due to supply and demand. There is plenty of supply. It is primarily due to whatever the traffic will bear. Prices will continue to rise until they reach a point where the consumers will drive less and buy more fuel efficient cars and fewer gas guzzling monsters. When that point is reached maybe supply and demand will kick in but don't count on prices going down a lot.

When will the American public wake up to the effect of gas prices? When they do the math they will wake up. At $4.00 per gallon and 20MPG they are spending $0.20 per mile. Drop the kids off at school, drive to work, drive to lunch, pick kids up from school, drive kids to sports, take spouse out to dinner and you have spent some serious money. I expect RV owners have already seen the light.

It makes living in The Villages even more attractive. About everything we want or need is close by and we can get there by golf cart.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster View Post
The cost of gasoline is not necessarily due to supply and demand. There is plenty of supply. It is primarily due to whatever the traffic will bear. Prices will continue to rise until they reach a point where the consumers will drive less and buy more fuel efficient cars and fewer gas guzzling monsters. When that point is reached maybe supply and demand will kick in but don't count on prices going down a lot.

When will the American public wake up to the effect of gas prices? When they do the math they will wake up. At $4.00 per gallon and 20MPG they are spending $0.20 per mile. Drop the kids off at school, drive to work, drive to lunch, pick kids up from school, drive kids to sports, take spouse out to dinner and you have spent some serious money. I expect RV owners have already seen the light.

It makes living in The Villages even more attractive. About everything we want or need is close by and we can get there by golf cart.
I agree, and it is also that we are at the mercy of the foreign oil producers who supply us. They have to be laughing at us, considering the reserves we have and do not drill to be less dependent on them.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:42 PM

It's easy to point at the foreign oil suppliers - but the gasoline you are buying may have had as many as eight owners on the commodities markets before you purchase it at the pump - and only one of those traders took delivery of the product!
Old 05-12-2011, 10:25 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowleesCreekYachtClub View Post
It's easy to point at the foreign oil suppliers - but the gasoline you are buying may have had as many as eight owners on the commodities markets before you purchase it at the pump - and only one of those traders took delivery of the product!
HOW many what ???? Me ......I be sticking with SAMS CLUB and MURPHYS ( owned by Wal-Mart) for my gasoline........... ALL Domestic production..........ALL US refined......all the way from the ground to your tank...Made in the USA.....
Old 05-12-2011, 10:43 PM
Platinum member
Default Google This

Type in Paper Chain and Oil

Good explanation.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 05-13-2011, 05:06 AM
Veteran member

China is growing so fast as an industrial nation that now they are sucking up the oil supply leaving less for the rest of us.......

"The difficult we can do immediately the impossible just takes a little longer"
Old 05-13-2011, 07:50 PM

I think it's simply the $1 Trillion profits for the Big Five Cartel over the last decade and $35 Billion in the first quarter. Hauled before Congress and, as expected, the Right blocked any regulations or cuts in subsidies with our money. Those excessive profits are in the price at the pump with added taxes.

Some good news, the US is net exporter of Petroleum Products.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip0358 View Post
As of yesterday Shell on 466A was the cheapest around. Now that's a switch!!
That posted price is for CASH only.
Its $.09 a gallon more for credit.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:20 PM
Default price of Gasoline

I didn't think Wallmart carried eanything made in the U.S.,I'm sure when corporate finds out heads will roll
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.