Private vs Public Expression of Views—Speaking only for myself!

Closed Thread
Old 09-10-2020, 11:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Sad that I cannot have a civil conversation with most of my family regarding politics. As a result I avoid getting lured into one. Sad so sad.

ditto....have a son and a brother who's political beliefs are 180 degrees from mine... we don't talk politics, as no one is going to change
Old 09-10-2020, 11:02 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinklesweep View Post
Emphasizing speaking only for myself:

Private requires no great explanation. What I discuss in, say, the privacy of my home with individuals I choose to discuss views requires no explanation.

I am a private person, and I would no more consider showing my views on any subject, whether political, religious, or my passion for bird watching or anything else on signage, bumper stickers, and more on my car, golf cart, or even, where allowed, on the public side of my home than I would publicly display my credit card or bank account numbers. For me to do so would mean to me—and again I am speaking only for myself—how insecure I must be to have to proclaim my private views publicly.to strangers. But this is me.

However, I would defend the constitutional right of anyone who does wish to share private views publicly. Those who do, however, need to be aware of potential risks to doing so, whether social alienation as described on another thread thinking they had friends in their neighborhood, only to find out how conditional those so-called “friends” were. Those were not friends but rather persons in their neighborhood who may or may not have been rude (or worse) in their social rejection. Or it could lead to overt violence as happened to friends the back of whose home faces Odell Circle where they put a sign stating their candidate of choice in the upcoming election—and getting a rock through their window!

And this is Florida’s Friendliest Home Town. I’m not sure to end this sentence with a question mark or an exclamation point. Maybe both?
We haven’t heard of a police report of vandalism but then again we don’t get The Daily Sun.
Old 09-10-2020, 11:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
Not sure I get this post. You have over 350 posts and more than half of the few I read are your views of a variety of subjects, a few even bordering on political. Sure, some are questions (rhetorical or otherwise) but much is opinion.

What am I missing?
Poster probably means face-to-face encounters here in the Villages and elsewhere.
Old 09-10-2020, 11:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

What ever happened to the good ole healthy debate, no interruptions, expletives, bullying, hate mongering, ONLY FACTS, NO LIES, hmmmm! The good ole days, will we EVER see them again????
Old 09-10-2020, 12:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
What ever happened to the good ole healthy debate, no interruptions, expletives, bullying, hate mongering, ONLY FACTS...
ONLY FACTS!?! Heheh. I’m not sure that sort of debate ever existed.
Old 09-10-2020, 01:27 PM
John41

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
And some people are looking for a reason to give offense. It goes both ways. When people make a BIG display of their views, they're basically inviting viewers to have an opinion on the display - and the views being displayed.

Just like civilians walking en masse into a town hall with AR-15s, wearing camouflaged bullet-proof vests, and other arms and armor - they're not actually carrying it to defend themselves from a potential threat at the town hall. They are making a statement. They are making it, because they WANT people to respond, and possibly react. They're basically saying "I DARE you to disagree with me about this topic of interest."

Because - if you're preaching to the choir, you don't need to be hauling all your equipment with you. They already know what you have and what you can do with it. Making a display of it in a town hall is challenging people to disagree, or to try and do something about it.

So of course there will be some people who are offended. That's the point of the display - to offend someone.
Interesting point of view on what might be offensive to some. When I see rioters going unchallenged and police defunded, looting and burning unchecked and Federal officers rejected then the armed militia is a last resort and I am happy to see them. Face to face I only discuss this with friends who I know.

Last edited by John41; 09-10-2020 at 01:36 PM.
Old 09-10-2020, 02:00 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I have always doubted that a sign, flag or bumper sticker would influence anyone’s vote. Who knows?
Old 09-10-2020, 02:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,022 Times in 5,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
What ever happened to the good ole healthy debate, no interruptions, expletives, bullying, hate mongering, ONLY FACTS, NO LIES, hmmmm! The good ole days, will we EVER see them again????
Would be nice
Old 09-10-2020, 09:16 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,211 Times in 350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
And some people are looking for a reason to give offense. It goes both ways. When people make a BIG display of their views, they're basically inviting viewers to have an opinion on the display - and the views being displayed.

Just like civilians walking en masse into a town hall with AR-15s, wearing camouflaged bullet-proof vests, and other arms and armor - they're not actually carrying it to defend themselves from a potential threat at the town hall. They are making a statement. They are making it, because they WANT people to respond, and possibly react. They're basically saying "I DARE you to disagree with me about this topic of interest."

Because - if you're preaching to the choir, you don't need to be hauling all your equipment with you. They already know what you have and what you can do with it. Making a display of it in a town hall is challenging people to disagree, or to try and do something about it.

So of course there will be some people who are offended. That's the point of the display - to offend someone.
I disagree with you. I think people display their political preference because they enthusiastically support their candidate. They believe they are supporting the right candidate. And that goes for BOTH sides. I've seen signs on golf cart windshields and large flags for BOTH candidates.
I don't have any political signs because I feel that displaying a sign is just asking for trouble (comments or vandalism). I have no desire to get into a political argument with a stranger.
I have friends who have different political views than I do. We have constructive discussions because, although I have a different viewpoint, I respect them. I listen to why they feel the way they do and I understand it. I might not feel them same way, but I do understand why they support their candidate.
Old 09-10-2020, 09:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,882 Times in 2,428 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitown View Post
And this is Florida’s Friendliest Home Town. I’m not sure to end this sentence with a question mark or an exclamation point. Maybe both? I am beginning to wonder weather the statement “America’s Friendliest Town” applies any more? I just moved here and have seen the best and worst in people. I go out of my way to wave and say hi to people many respond and many give me the cold shoulder. As for expressing yourself weather verbally or with a banner or sign I agree that I will defend a person’s right to do so. Would I do it, probably not. But I feel that as passionate as I may be about a topic I do not look at the person who reflects their opinion with the opposite view as the enemy. We are not 20 years old here. We have gone through life and should respect one another.
20 years old? More like 10.
Old 09-11-2020, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Aimed at the fear of putting signs out.
Thank you for clarifying. Can I take your interpretation to mean—particularly on the issue of signage—that YOU would not use signage in whatever setting (I used political, religious, and my passion for birdwatching as MY examples) because YOU are fearful? I’m just a private person; friends and family members who visit at holiday time come to enjoy the conviviality of the season, which would be pretty obvious INSIDE my home, but passing strangers would not know this because I don’t decorate OUTSIDE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
Not sure I get this post. You have over 350 posts and more than half of the few I read are your views of a variety of subjects, a few even bordering on political. Sure, some are questions (rhetorical or otherwise) but much is opinion.

What am I missing?
Goodness, I am impressed that you took the time—had the time to take—to review and summarize the postings of another TOTV member. Your summary is accurate—random thoughts, observations, questions. Nothing mysterious or covert. Perhaps 350 posts over a decade is not many. I’m constantly busy with my own things and only occasionally have the chance to sit down and look to see what’s happening among other Villagers—or more accurately, other TOTVers, who are only a very small segment of Villagers. I could be out bird watching anywhere in and around TV or on travels elsewhere. If someone can tell me how, I’ll post a couple of neat bird pictures.

“Florida’s Friendliest Home Town” is a marketing gimmick, same as the Daily Sun. Those who were friendly prior to moving here will likely continue to be friendly. Those who were private people will likely continue the same. And those who were miserable, negative, hostile, unhappy, unpleasant to be around will bring themselves as well, likely without a dramatic personality change. Let’s just enjoy life, best as we can, in light of—or in spite of—the pandemic!

Last edited by twinklesweep; 09-11-2020 at 07:26 AM.
Old 09-11-2020, 07:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
ONLY FACTS!?! Heheh. I’m not sure that sort of debate ever existed.
Debating used to be taught in colleges. The problem with debating is you need two people of equal intellect and who know their subject inside and out. Therein lies your problem.

Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 09-11-2020, 07:51 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinklesweep View Post

Goodness, I am impressed that you took the time—had the time to take—to review and summarize the postings of another TOTV member. Your summary is accurate—random thoughts, observations, questions. Nothing mysterious or covert. Perhaps 350 posts over a decade is not many. I’m constantly busy with my own things and only occasionally have the chance to sit down and look to see what’s happening among other Villagers—or more accurately, other TOTVers, who are only a very small segment of Villagers. I could be out bird watching anywhere in and around TV or on travels elsewhere. If someone can tell me how, I’ll post a couple of neat bird pictures.
In fairness, it didn't take many posts to realize what you said to start this thread was complete falsehood.

"I am a private person, and I would no more consider showing my views on any subject, whether political, religious, or my passion for bird watching or anything else on signage, bumper stickers, and more on my car, golf cart, or even, where allowed, on the public side of my home than I would publicly display my credit card or bank account numbers. For me to do so would mean to me—and again I am speaking only for myself—how insecure I must be to have to proclaim my private views publicly.to strangers. But this is me."

I guess your definition of "insecure" differs from most, given your own logic.

Thanks for clarifying.
Old 09-12-2020, 07:15 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,106 Times in 1,338 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John41 View Post
Even displaying an American flag can be dangerous. The Villages is a friendly place not necessarily the most.
The trend toward polarization instead of compromise has accelerated and that is not good for the country.
I will always display our beautiful American flag. Never fear greatness.

Other signs/flags will not change anybodies mind.
Old 09-12-2020, 11:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
I will always display our beautiful American flag. Never fear greatness.

Other signs/flags will not change anybodies mind.
Maybe a Green Bay Packers flag! This from a native cheesehead.

I often drive by a house that had a U of MN flag. They took that down for a US Submarine fleet one, then a Fall one and now they have a Disney one.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 09-12-2020 at 04:19 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
private, views, home, friends, publicly

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.