Protect me from what?

Closed Thread
Old 06-22-2011, 01:38 PM
Sage

I don't know if they do this anymore but at one time, you could request the person calling to make a note in their computer not to call you anymore and they suppose to honor your request.

A lon time ago, I worked for a bank that it's tel-marketers were told to honor this request from it's customers or potential customers.

I love it when at the end of a computer generated call they asked you, "if you do not want be called, select option three". Then you select option three and you still get calls from the same company.

What do I know? I have more hang-ups than the phone company.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:40 PM
Email Reported As Spam

I speak to them with an incredulous "You guys advise to watch out for scams, especially those conducted with a phone call" and then I hang up
Old 06-22-2011, 04:22 PM
Cool put them on hold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
I speak to them with an incredulous "You guys advise to watch out for scams, especially those conducted with a phone call" and then I hang up
and forward the call to the BBB
Old 06-22-2011, 07:30 PM
Platinum member
Default Legit?

I had one once at home (yes, they're all over the country). I let him ramble on and then he asked me if they could count on my support again that year (hadn't given it in the past, either). When I told him, "No", he said, "B****", and hung up.

How legit do you think that call was???
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 06-22-2011, 08:40 PM
Gold member

dillywho, my guess is that call wasn't prefaced by "this call is being recorded for quality assurance purposes . . ."
Old 06-26-2011, 02:31 PM
Veteran member

My brother had a job as one of the "officers" calling a number of years back. He didn't like it but the money was great. He eventually left when they told him he'd have to be "more forceful" when he "had a fish."
They figured (and probably correctly) that many people are afraid to hang up on the police and can be squeezed for a few bucks.

Slaughter on 10th Avenue (and more) -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMo6w...gbuFRTT06nS9pn
Old 06-29-2011, 11:39 PM
Gold member

I always just answer "We never contribute to anything over the phone"...that usually stops the conversation. Years ago, I knew of someone that would make calls like this, then go over and collect money....total scam! I don't trust any telephone solicitations, if it's a legitimate operation they shouldn't be phoning you. My inlaws were actually intimidated by someone calling for contributions. The callers knew my inlaws were seniors and made vague comments about knowing their address...they were quite frightened. Whenever someone calls, don't engage them in conversation...just get off the phone.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.