Calling All Word-Lovers

Closed Thread
Old 12-10-2007, 10:19 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts
Default Calling All Word-Lovers

I just posted a word discussion response in a political thread. I rarely read the political threads but did today and found the starter for my post. (JohnZ's comment) I just want to make sure that the word nerds here don't miss it because in it is a cry for help. Actually, I included 3 cries for help.

Thanks in advance.

BB
Old 12-10-2007, 10:42 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch
Default Re: Calling All Word-Lovers

According to miriamwebster.com, prioritize has been a word since 1961. But YUCK! says it all.

Online is one word.

Lake Superior State University (English professors) is your resource for words that should be banished: http://www.lssu.edu/banished/

Hope this helps!

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 12-10-2007, 11:07 PM
Veteran member

The computer an "infernal machine"? Hmmm, I'm thinking about that. Long ago, I was corrected ad nauseam by an onery chemistry professor that believed that machines do work through applied force and that instruments measure.....also fish have scales and only balances are used in the laboratory.

Is a computer a machine? Is it an instrument? Or is it simply a fundemental all purpose device? Computers are now used as communication "devices"....not the initial intended purpose of performing repetitive calculations. So then, computers have morphed (is that a word) into a contrivance.

Get me away from this infernal contrivance and enough of my blather. BTW, I've been told that I sound too intellectual.....sooooo I'm going to rip the bow-tie from Jerry and try to be more "hip" like his "Nutty Professor" alter ego in future posts. Might be fun.
Hollywood, FL
Woodstock, GA
The Villages, FL
Old 12-10-2007, 11:15 PM
Administrator

Why not call it an "information machine?"
Old 12-10-2007, 11:18 PM
Sage

Refuse to get into a philosophical debate about computers, but I will admit that if I had it to do all over, I would have gotten my degree in computer sciences and be in total hog heaven if I could work on AI.

And, yes, "morph(ed)" is a word as of 1985.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 12-11-2007, 02:57 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch
... I would have gotten my degree in computer sciences and be in total hog heaven if I could work on AI.
Better be careful there, RW. Up here in cow country AI has an altogether different meaning.

Also: Wheeling, WV * Youngstown, OH* Niles, OH * Oshkosh, WI * Ft. Worth, TX * Da Bronx * Marathon, NY * Bricktown, NJ * Newark, DE * San Antonio, TX * Washington, DC * Tacoma, WA
Old 12-11-2007, 04:33 AM
Sage

Linda --- ewwwwwwwwwwwwww

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.