Proud parents?

Closed Thread
Old 01-20-2019, 01:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
You have to be taught to hate. It is coming from the home and reinforced in the school. I am very familiar with the Catholic high schools in the Cincinnati area, and the teens that go to them. In too many cases they are from families that are avoiding the experience of being in a school with black students, unless of course those black kids are recruited as athletes, and Jews, and LGBT, and those who might believe in a strong well funded public school system. The exception to this is St X high school run by the Jesuits which seems to do a good job in producing thoughtful citizens.

These students from Cov Cath were sent to Washington by their school to march against choice, replete in their MAGA hats and fueled by a kind of ignorance that does not come from lack of an education but rather from being taught to hate. That these miscreants felt screaming "build the wall' at a Native American tells you everything you need to know about what they have learned and where they have learned it.

Old 01-20-2019, 02:05 PM
TOTV Moderator

Please try to keep your replies to student behavior and parenting. There are competing news sources reporting the events in different ways. If this thread continues into political territory, it will be closed.

Old 01-20-2019, 02:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Pretty sure I was watching CBS.............I will check the website to see if anything is posted.
Heeding the mods warning, I am looking and hoping you have success.

I have read only ONE report of the event itself.

Varying reports on reaction, but if there is a report that actually disputes the video, please post it.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:30 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
Heeding the mods warning, I am looking and hoping you have success.

I have read only ONE report of the event itself.

Varying reports on reaction, but if there is a report that actually disputes the video, please post it.

CBS News only had the video............when the Anchors were talking after the clip, they mentioned what I mentioned. Still have not found. Sorry.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Cincinnati.com Maybe this will help. A Dear friend just sent it to me I didn't find it on my own. Open up Cincinnati.com use the Hit the HOME button and the story will appear with the whole video.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Cincinnati.com Maybe this will help. A Dear friend just sent it to me I didn't find it on my own. Open up Cincinnati.com and the story will appear.
Thanks, except link has been deleted, whatever it said.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:39 PM
Sage

A bit of looking and voila, which I think is what you refer to.

Longer video shows start of Covington Catholic incident at Indigenous Peoples March

From this link...

"In an interview with the Detroit Free Press, Phillips said the incident started as the students from Covington Catholic were observing a group of Black Israelites talk, and started to get upset at their speeches.

Phillips said some of the members of the Black Hebrew group were also acting up, "saying some harsh things" and that one member spit in the direction of the Catholic students.

"So I put myself in between that, between a rock and hard place," Phillips said.

The videos show separate angles and do not show the same people interacting with the students. The Enquirer has not verified the identity of the person who took and posted the video. "

Does not change my feelings one bit. I, and probably all others, can supply reasons for bad actions, which to me is secondary
Old 01-20-2019, 03:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,144 Times in 830 Posts

I am back with a retraction. I now no longer am convinced that the students were malicious. I have watched an almost 2 hour video which should be available here Wherein you will see a five person group of "Hebrew Israelites" who are sharing their world view loudly with the passersby in front of the Lincoln Memorial. Their message is filled with anti-gay venom and they are verbally attacking the students, calling them names and challenging them. Into the space between these five and the students came the Native Americans who are then surrounded by the students. The students are whooping and clapping, hard to tell if along with the drummer or teasing him. This begins at about the one hour ten minute mark. I can't hear anyone yelling build the wall in this video, perhaps it is in others, perhaps not. I don't see the point at which the drummer leaves the group as he is not the focus of the video. So while I maintain my post about the nature of many of the kids in the Cincinnati area Catholic [and "Christian"] high schools, I am no longer confidant that this episode is evidence of anything except that the "Hebrew Israelites" have a dangerous message of hate, and have amazing vocal tolerance. I would be completely hoarse after that much yelling.
Old 01-20-2019, 03:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
I am back with a retraction. I now no longer am convinced that the students were malicious. I have watched an almost 2 hour video which should be available here Wherein you will see a five person group of "Hebrew Israelites" who are sharing their world view loudly with the passersby in front of the Lincoln Memorial. Their message is filled with anti-gay venom and they are verbally attacking the students, calling them names and challenging them. Into the space between these five and the students came the Native Americans who are then surrounded by the students. The students are whooping and clapping, hard to tell if along with the drummer or teasing him. This begins at about the one hour ten minute mark. I can't hear anyone yelling build the wall in this video, perhaps it is in others, perhaps not. I don't see the point at which the drummer leaves the group as he is not the focus of the video. So while I maintain my post about the nature of many of the kids in the Cincinnati area Catholic [and "Christian"] high schools, I am no longer confidant that this episode is evidence of anything except that the "Hebrew Israelites" have a dangerous message of hate, and have amazing vocal tolerance. I would be completely hoarse after that much yelling.
Thank you for the link and info.

This is why I think discussions on here should be allowed to continue, save for personal attacks.....the search for truth should supersede all.
Old 01-20-2019, 03:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Thank you for your post.
Old 01-20-2019, 04:00 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Interesting how many are so quick to condem the high school students. They were just waiting for their bus and chanting some school cheers, nothing about the wall or abortion etc. Watch the whole video, for an hour the the black Israelites or whatever they are hurled insults and racist remarks at them. Then the NA guy Phillips wades into their group and beats his drum inches from their faces. The smiling kid did nothing wrong, just smiled and held his ground. At no time do you hear any insults from the kids. The insults and racist remarks come from the black guys and one of the NAs standing by Phillips.

Fake news strikes again.

PS If I was the smiling kids dad I'd be damned proud of him, congrats for showing restraint son. Then I be calling my lawyer.
Old 01-20-2019, 04:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
As I said...thanks for the complete video.

It simply points out how search for truth and total honesty is so important.

In my opinion, it also does not excuse the behavior of any of the folks involved from whatever group. My opinion stands on the proliferation of hate in our country, but hoping a lesson is learned here about truth and context
Old 01-20-2019, 04:25 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
As I said...thanks for the complete video.

It simply points out how search for truth and total honesty is so important.

In my opinion, it also does not excuse the behavior of any of the folks involved from whatever group. My opinion stands on the proliferation of hate in our country, but hoping a lesson is learned here about truth and context

What behavior of the students needs to be excused? Please post video or audio. I heard racist hate speech, but none of it came from the students.
Old 01-20-2019, 04:27 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

Quote:

Thank you, blueash,

I did not watch it, but I have been reading your posts for a long time and have seen you as always fair so I will take your word for it.

Btw, you and I agree on the Jesuits.

But I do not lump the Catholic schools into the the same category as all “Christian” schools. Nor do I defend everything about Catholic schools. (I wish all public schools could be equally funded, instead of plugging kids into what is practically a caste system from the get-go. But I digress.)

As far as Covington Catholic goes, why in the world did they allow those boys to wear those potentially incendiary hats into that huge crowd in a big city? The dress code should have been required as they represented their school. Oh well, shoulda, woulda, coulda.

This mess is layer upon layer.

I hope real conversations come out of this. There is so much opportunity to turn this into a teachable moment, rather than spreading blame and making excuses and learning nothing and making things worse.

But sometimes it is all too clear that Pogo was right.
Old 01-20-2019, 05:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

Really like it when people start digging for the facts themselves.

They are often hard to get at with so many sources putting their own spins on them.
Closed Thread

Tags
parents, proud

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.