Pseudonyms - good or bad

Pseudonyms - good or bad

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 09-09-2019, 07:29 AM
Sage

I have to disagree that people on NextDoor and Facebook are more civil to one another. I've seen some pretty snarky comments and come-backs on both of those sites. The other news source we can't mention here is highly toxic and vitrolic. It was that way when some of the folks used their real names. It amazes me how childish adults are to one another. Being mean doesn't benefit anyone. THAT all said this conversation has pretty much hit all the points. JMHO

Old 09-09-2019, 08:02 AM
Sage

It seems to depend a lot on the moderator/administrator of the various boards.

I have a tendency to share too much and also push certain people's buttons on just about every Forum I have been on since 2001 or so.

There are a lot of ways though the average poster can limit his or her exposure by not sharing too much personal information online. And being cautious about what they post about themselves.

I do like Forums with moderators who have some control of the people on them.

One of the worst I found was Findlaw in 2002 through about 2005 or so which had little or no control over names used, e-mail addresses given, etc. Anyone could go on there and just make up any handle they wanted to and change it and re-register with fake e-mail addresses and the like. A real wild wild West.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian View Post
I have been doing this "posting online" thing since before Compuserve and AOL. At one point I ran the "OSU Macintosh Users Bulletin Board Service (BBS)" on a 128K Macintosh connected to my home phone with a 300 baud modem.

However, one thing that is constant is forums that do require real names are much more polite.

What are your thoughts - I am not suggesting TOTV should change, just asking in general.
I remember when I "upgraded" from 300 to 1200 baud. Thought I'd died and gone to heaven.

As for pseudonyms, there is a certain segment of the population who have recently decided that the best way to take over the world is to find out the identities of those whose views differ from their own and to then do everything they can to destroy them via boycotts, online smear campaigns, etc. For that reason alone, people need the option of choosing between using their true name or a pseudonym. Sad world we live in these days ...

kathy
Old 09-09-2019, 12:41 PM
Veteran member

I would never post under anything but a pseudonym.
Look at the information the low life can glean from sites like Facebook.
So many subscribers can't wait to give out all their lifes information, schools, holiday dates, photos of kids and family, etc. etc.
Then they wonder why they become the victims of crime.
There are enough hazards online, without giving the baddies more ammunition.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
So many subscribers can't wait to give out all their lifes information, schools, holiday dates, photos of kids and family, etc. etc.
There are enough hazards online, without giving the baddies more ammunition.
Another solution is private forums. With identity verification and secure posting so only member can read and post.

Also, good internet safety recommends that you never post anything useful to hackers. Following that your name is interesting, and someone may not like your political views, but assuming you never post addresses, phone numbers, photos of yourself and/or family, etc. (details) then there is not really anything THEY can do - well, if you **** them off enough they can dox you, but that is normally because you weren't being polite.

I guess it is sort of like walking into a bar and being belligerent to a bunch of drunk bikers.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
There are enough hazards online, without giving the baddies more ammunition
And then there are those who use some kind of internet proxy server, to sign back up under a plethora of new user names...typically after being consistently banned.

One in particular here on TOTV is legendary and deserves to be in some kind of hall-of-fame, for the sheer number of times...he's NOTHING but done (and still doing) it.

The mods try their best and do a pretty good job when it becomes obvious (search "whack-a-mole" ), but this person has been relentless and must have a 50+ page spreadsheet...just to keep track of all of his different user names/e-mail addresses/passwords.

Tags
real, service, pseudonyms, names, totv