Public Service Announcement: Six constitutional amendments on the ballot.

Closed Thread
Old 10-14-2020, 12:44 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts
Default Public Service Announcement: Six constitutional amendments on the ballot.

I was not aware these items were on the ballot; maybe you weren’t, either.
This is NOT to be turned into a political post; this is informational, only! Each of these offer either Yes or No.

1) citizen requirements to vote in FL elections. Provides that only US citizens at least 18 years old, a permanent FL resident, and registered to vote shall be qualified to vote in the FL election.

2) raising FL’s minimum wage. Raises minimum wage to $10.00 per hour effective 9/30/2021. Each September 30th thereafter the minimum wage shall increase by $1.00 until it reaches &15 per hour on September 30, 2026. From that point forward, future minimum wage increases shall revert to being adjusted annually for inflation starting 9/30/2027.

3) all voters vote in primary elections for state legislature, governor and cabinet. Effective 1/1/2024. ( There’s more, but it’s a lot to type)

4) voter approval of constitutional amendments. Requires all proposed amendments or revisions to the state constitution to be approved by voters in two elections, instead of one, in order to take effect.

5) limitations on Homestead Property Tax Assessments; increased portability period to transfer accrued benefit. Effective 1/1/2021, to increase, from two years to three years, the period of time during which accrued Save-Our-Home benefits may be transferred from a prior homestead to a new homestead.

6) Ad Valorem tax discount for spouses of certain deceased veterans who had permanent, combat-related disabilities. Carries over to such veterans’ surviving spouse who holds legal or beneficial title Tom and who permanently resides on, the homestead property until he or she remarried or sells of the property. Discount can be transferred to new property under certain conditions. Effective 1/1/2021.

Here is more info on these: Six constitutional amendments are on Florida's 2020 ballot - South Florida Sun-Sentinel

I don’t know about you, but I hate to Go to the polls and be surprised by questions I would like to put some thought into before I vote. :-)
Old 10-14-2020, 01:14 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Yes I was aware of them.
Old 10-14-2020, 01:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,026 Times in 5,325 Posts

Thanks for sharing.

No idea minimum wage one was on it. Double edged sword. As minimum wage is increased more businesses will eliminate jobs.
Old 10-14-2020, 02:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,358 Times in 2,393 Posts

Review by League of Women Voters.

2020 Ballot Amendments
Old 10-14-2020, 02:15 PM

Go to WESH.com and read their article about the amendments. It's pretty straight forward. The title...

Florida amendments: What to know before you vote
Old 10-15-2020, 06:21 PM
John41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post
I was not aware these items were on the ballot; maybe you weren’t, either.
This is NOT to be turned into a political post; this is informational, only! Each of these offer either Yes or No.

1) citizen requirements to vote in FL elections. Provides that only US citizens at least 18 years old, a permanent FL resident, and registered to vote shall be qualified to vote in the FL election.

2) raising FL’s minimum wage. Raises minimum wage to $10.00 per hour effective 9/30/2021. Each September 30th thereafter the minimum wage shall increase by $1.00 until it reaches &15 per hour on September 30, 2026. From that point forward, future minimum wage increases shall revert to being adjusted annually for inflation starting 9/30/2027.

3) all voters vote in primary elections for state legislature, governor and cabinet. Effective 1/1/2024. ( There’s more, but it’s a lot to type)

4) voter approval of constitutional amendments. Requires all proposed amendments or revisions to the state constitution to be approved by voters in two elections, instead of one, in order to take effect.

5) limitations on Homestead Property Tax Assessments; increased portability period to transfer accrued benefit. Effective 1/1/2021, to increase, from two years to three years, the period of time during which accrued Save-Our-Home benefits may be transferred from a prior homestead to a new homestead.

6) Ad Valorem tax discount for spouses of certain deceased veterans who had permanent, combat-related disabilities. Carries over to such veterans’ surviving spouse who holds legal or beneficial title Tom and who permanently resides on, the homestead property until he or she remarried or sells of the property. Discount can be transferred to new property under certain conditions. Effective 1/1/2021.

Here is more info on these: Six constitutional amendments are on Florida's 2020 ballot - South Florida Sun-Sentinel

I don’t know about you, but I hate to Go to the polls and be surprised by questions I would like to put09 some thought into before I vote. :-)
they were on our sample ballot. also hate to be surprised so we read our sample ballot
Old 10-15-2020, 07:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

As a public service for the people that refuse to buy the "DAILY SUN" and didn't see the sample ballot they printed here are a couple of links:

Sumter County Supervisor of Elections > Home

https://www.sumterelections.org/Port...p%20Ballot.pdf

As a public service to the people who refuse to open links or buy a newspaper...... there is a LARGE newspaper recycling box in St. Tim's church parking lot. If you do go dumpster diving for a paper it would be nice if you put a little something in the basket on Sunday.

Last edited by CWGUY; 10-15-2020 at 09:44 PM.
Old 10-16-2020, 04:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
As a public service for the people that refuse to buy the "DAILY SUN" and didn't see the sample ballot they printed here are a couple of links:

Sumter County Supervisor of Elections > Home

https://www.sumterelections.org/Port...p%20Ballot.pdf

As a public service to the people who refuse to open links or buy a newspaper...... there is a LARGE newspaper recycling box in St. Tim's church parking lot. If you do go dumpster diving for a paper it would be nice if you put a little something in the basket on Sunday.
Isn’t dumpster diving against the law?
Old 10-16-2020, 05:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Isn’t dumpster diving against the law?
If that is your experience I'll believe you ..... I never tried it.
Closed Thread

Tags
vote, wage, effective, minimum, homestead

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.