Puerto Rico Disaster

Closed Thread
Old 09-25-2017, 08:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts
Default Puerto Rico Disaster

Puerto Rico is devastated. People are desperate for water and food and I see that nobody cares. Well, that is not quite true because there are hundreds of people who are trying to help them, but has anyone heard our elected officials comment on this devastation.

We are all more concerned about kneeling football players ..... please let's get our priorities in order.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 09-25-2017, 09:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,317 Times in 2,054 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Puerto Rico is devastated. People are desperate for water and food and I see that nobody cares. Well, that is not quite true because there are hundreds of people who are trying to help them, but has anyone heard our elected officials comment on this devastation.

We are all more concerned about kneeling football players ..... please let's get our priorities in order.
I share that sentiment. Very tough to watch videos of that devastation.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post

Old 09-25-2017, 09:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Many are saddened and worried about them and about the devastation and death left by the earthquakes in Mexico.

You can't hear the sound of our prayers because many are silent ones. Nor know the quiet acts of help by many.

There were no choices made in these natural acts of disaster so nothing to rail against, only to be saddened by.

Humans want to blame someone when they are angered or worried.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:18 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

I don't know what "elected official" you are seeking to hear from - but - here in the NY area Gov Cuomo is all over the news -
cuomo j lo puerto rico - Bing

And a variety of news outlets have been providing coverage of the President's concern for Puerto Rico -
trump puerto rico - Bing

I am wondering where ANY foreign aid has been provided for/to the victims of Harvey, Irma and Maria!

Old 09-25-2017, 09:26 AM
Sage

Concern is one thing. What concrete action is being taken? Not hearing much about that.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:29 AM
Sage

The already weak economy will not withstand this disaster. I look for many, many, many people who live in Puerto Rico to move to Florida and possibly The Villages.

Hot, isolated, and running out of supplies, parts of Puerto Rico near desperation
Old 09-25-2017, 09:31 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Concern is one thing. What concrete action is being taken? Not hearing much about that.
New York Gov. Cuomo pledges state aid effort for Puerto Rico - NY Daily News

Aid begins to flow to hurricane-hit Puerto Rico – Twin Cities
Old 09-25-2017, 09:34 AM

When trump gets there maybe more help will come with him. Anyone know when he is scheduled to visit Puerto Rico?
Old 09-25-2017, 09:40 AM
Sage

Thanks for the updates. I understand Cuomo--his state has a very large Puerto Rican population. I'm just wondering what the Federal government might do. Puerto Rico is part of us.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
I don't know what "elected official" you are seeking to hear from - but - here in the NY area Gov Cuomo is all over the news -
cuomo j lo puerto rico - Bing

And a variety of news outlets have been providing coverage of the President's concern for Puerto Rico -
trump puerto rico - Bing

I am wondering where ANY foreign aid has been provided for/to the victims of Harvey, Irma and Maria!
Yes, I was very wrong to have overlooked Gov. Cuomo, he has been excellent and very caring. He was also on the Virgin Islands immediately after their hurricane. He is a good man.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 09-25-2017, 11:13 AM
Sage

Now over three hundred deaths reported in Mexico and they are not done combing through the rubble. God help them.

Mexico death toll rises to 324
Old 09-25-2017, 12:15 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I believe there is a lot being done. I am in touch with several people there and there has been quite a bit of US aid already in place. Part of the delay is caused because most stuff must be brought in by ship and docking facilities have been damaged. I have a sail boat in Fajardo and have been talking to several different folks I know in that area. I have offered to go down and help, but the issue is getting around once you are there. As soon as I can I will be going down.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:05 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Thanks for the updates. I understand Cuomo--his state has a very large Puerto Rican population. I'm just wondering what the Federal government might do. Puerto Rico is part of us.
I found these articles on a quick internet search:
Federal response in Puerto Rico to Hurricane Maria slowly takes shape - NewsChannel 5 Nashville
Aid reaches Puerto Rico after Maria as threat from cracked dam recedes | World news | The Guardian
Aid begins to flow to hurricane-hit Puerto Rico - POLITICO
$1B OK'd for Puerto Rico hurricane aid, but governor says he'll seek more | Fox News

I wish I could find the video I saw this morning with the Gov of P.R. telling the reporter that the island nation needs so much more than hurricane assistance because of the fiscal crisis it was in before the storm; and he need the U.S. to come through with a lot of money to resolve that crisis, too!

I looked for and could not find where any international aid/assistance had been sent re victims of Harvey and Irma and Maria.

Old 09-25-2017, 06:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

During the past hour we have received word from 6 out of 7 family members in Puerto Rico. They have water and are eating but as you can imagine it's rough now. So excited to hear from them forgot to ask about the house. Very grateful.
Closed Thread

Tags
people, puerto, rico, devastation, officials

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.