Putting the Corona Virus into perspective.

Closed Thread
Old 11-29-2020, 07:49 AM

One in a million cases? Stats please. Not just woke heartstring “feel good” for this guy.
Old 11-29-2020, 07:50 AM
Default Give it a Rest already

[QUOTE=Taltarzac725;1866956is off of Facebook--

We have ALL heard the horror stories for months. We have ALL seen the news clips, we have ALL watched the fall shows like The Good Doctor with its over dramatized, fear inducing tear jerker, “this is what happens if you get it”.

ENOUGH ALREADY. Find something else to post about, or find positive news - like yes positive numbers are still increasing but fewer are hospitalized or on a ventilator or dying either due to treatment or changes in the virus itself. Vaccines will be made and soon available - that will be effective.

So instead of posting the death fear - “if you get it, you die” which is also so very NOT true ... spread hope.

That alone will help far more in this battle.
Old 11-29-2020, 07:52 AM

Be careful with Facebook, they spread fear. I quit Facebook.
Old 11-29-2020, 07:55 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,863 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
This is off of Facebook--

Perspective.

Here is the story: You get a fever, and it's a little hard to breathe, but not that bad. Take some tylenol and go to bed. You wake up in the middle of the night to find yourself gasping for air. You reach over to your wife and get her attention. She rolls over, “What's wrong honey? It's the middle of the night.” It's then she can hear you breathing, or trying to. She turns on the light and sees the panic in your eyes... No matter how much you inhale, it's not enough, it's never enough. That would be bad enough but the fever is spiking, it's hard to focus. Your three kids come into the room, they heard Mom talking loud, trying to get your attention. The little girl, 6 years old, you're the center of her universe. She's a daddy's girl and loves it when you take her places with you. "Is Daddy Okay?" Mom tries to hide her panic "He's fine honey, he'll be okay..." She struggles trying to decide if she should drive you to the emergency room or get an ambulance. She decides to drive. You're too out of it to get dressed so she takes you in your pajamas. Once there, they admit you. Your wife cannot go in. You're alone. She is sent to the house to quarantine with the rest of your kids. They start to work on you. You're getting tired, your chest hurts from trying to breathe for so long. Your blood pressure is up. They lower your fever a little and put on an oxygen mask. It seems to help a little, but only for an hour or so. Then your lungs begin to fight for air again. They offer to turn you over on your stomach, "sometimes it helps" they say. They roll you over... It does. You look out the door, Doctors are running everywhere. There are patients in the hallways. The ward is full, and everyone is trying to keep up. You hear Code calls, and ventilator machines being rolled up and down the hallway. You notice you cannot smell anything, and you have pain all over. You wonder about your family. Your daughter, the fear in her eyes as her daddy was put into the car. "Why are you leaving Daddy? I'll take care of you..."
Pain.. the fight for air. It's back. You press the button. They roll you back over and check you out. The doctor comes up to your bed. Completely covered, face mask, hood, looks a little like an astronaut. "Sir, you're not getting enough oxygen in your blood. We need to put you on a ventilator." You nod in agreement, gasping. "Sir... You won't be able to talk once we do this. Would you like to say anything to your family? We can arrange a facetime with them if you like.” As your head tries to wrap itself around this offer, one question comes to mind: "How serious is this?" It takes the doc a while to respond, he's done this hundreds of times, but it never gets easy. "Patients that go on a ventilator have a 4 in 10 chance of not recovering. Should we try to reach your family?" You nod... Numb. Your brain can't handle all the info it's getting. The fever, the pain in your chest the struggle for air, it's too much. A nurse comes back in with an iPad. "I have your family online" she tries to say with a smile. You take the Ipad. There they are, all three kids and your wife. Your everything. The look on their faces is a look you've seen before. The brave smiles. The look you give when you feel sorrow and pain, but need to cheer up the person you’re talking too. They are not at home.. It looks like they are outside. You pull in as much air as you can so you can sound somewhat normal. It does not work. "Hey guys, where are you?" Your wife forces another smile. “We're outside your window honey. They put signs out so we know where you are. They can't let us in. We're not supposed to leave the house but we needed to be close to you.” She starts to cry, it's too much for her. That's when it hits you. Clarity, all at once.. You're saying "goodbye.” The next time you hug your family will either be a few weeks from now, or in the hereafter. So this is your last chance to say something. The six year old is shaking, pale with fear. "Hey there nugget.. How you doing?" "Daddy... Please come home... Who will read to me? I miss you so much, please get out of bed.. I'll do anything you want!" You never realized you could cry as hard as you are right now, and it's making the breathing even harder. You know you're scaring her. You cannot stay on much longer. "I'm sorry nugget... I can't get out of bed right now. You take care of your Mama for me okay? I love your everything.” She looks at you through tear soaked eyes.. "I love your everything too.” You can't do it... You can't say goodbye, it's all just too much. The iPad falls in your lap as you struggle to both breathe and cry all at once. An alarm goes off, the Docs surround you and begin to put in the ventilator. Your eyes close for the last time. It's over. It takes years for your family to recover. They lost their rock, and nothing will be the same, ever again... End
I felt compelled to write this to give a perspective to those of us who are more focused on comfort and "getting back to normal.” The above story has played out thousands of times with Mothers, Fathers, Grandparents, and children. Families that will grieve for years to come.
it's not about how high the numbers go. It's about that one person.. Your "everything.”
Please... show compassion. Odds are you know somebody that endured something like this. We're in a war right now, and we're losing. It's time to step up and make sure these kids keep their parents.
Thank you... Jay A Kelley 11/16/2020
*copied & pasted
That’s how my girlfriend’s father died a few months ago, in Florida. Her mother survived, barely, unexpectedly. It was very hard listening or watching as they struggled to hold on another day, another hour, another breath. It was very hard listening to Mike’s last words, “Take care of your mother,” before the nurse took off his oxygen and injected a sedative to relax him as he died from lack of air. It happens all the time, all over the world, and Mike probably would have died in a year anyway, but it was still heartbreaking.
Old 11-29-2020, 08:21 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,295 Times in 439 Posts

The title of the post is Putting the Coronavirus into perspective. Let’s do that. Corona will be listed as the cause of death of of fewer than 300,000 Americans in 2020. Most of those, according to the CDC had one or more pre existing condition. In fact, to date, only 15,000 Covid deaths did not list another underlying condition. Every year over 600,000 Americans die from cancer. I can post heart wrenching story after heart wrenching story about someone’s battle with cancer. Would that help put “Cancer into perspective”?
Old 11-29-2020, 08:25 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulajr View Post
While I feel horrible that this scenario is possible for some...I know MANY people who have had, and recovered from Coronavirus, and all were able to stay in their houses, and have fully recovered. To put out this horrifying post does nothing but continue to terrify those who are already terrified. Stop. Shame on you...
Agree. We all know there are severe cases and mild cases and positive tests with no symptoms. Why hype this thing up more than it already is? We all know by now the symptoms. If nervous? Stay home! If you want to stop your life? Stay home! If you want to live each day to the fullest? Take precautions and move on. Geez. That article was ridiculous
Old 11-29-2020, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulfcoast View Post
I think we simply have different personalities and different ways of assessing risks.

I will ask you to defer to the experts on this one. The WHO has stated that shutdowns have been catastrophic to communities, sending people into despair and poverty. The WHO does not recommend shutdowns saying that they do far more harm than good. The CDC has stated that children are safer in school and that they should be receiving face to face instruction. I look at this information and, to me, that means that we need to stop worrying so much about things that are really beyond our control. Medical doctors are saying that we need to keep working and sending our kids to school or risk catastrophic and irreversible damage to our communities.

Wear a mask, maintain good social distance but realize that the people eating out at restaurants, shopping at the stores, taking fitness classes at the gyms, attending schools are helping to keep our communities thriving, too. We need to stop second guessing each other and work on mitigating our own risks as necessary.
👍👍👍👍
Old 11-29-2020, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonbrown View Post
Surprisingly, the deaths of older people stayed the same before and after COVID-19. Since COVID-19 mainly affects the elderly, experts expected an increase in the percentage of deaths in older age groups. However, this increase is not seen from the CDC data. In fact, the percentages of deaths among all age groups remain relatively the same.

See more here.
Wow - this is really interesting. It shows emphatically that "increase" in COVID deaths exists simultaneously with vast "decreases" in deaths from other causes. Conclusion: overall deaths not up at all. Most deaths classified as COVID are clearly "died with covid" - not "died from covid".
Old 11-29-2020, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
The title of the post is Putting the Coronavirus into perspective. Let’s do that. Corona will be listed as the cause of death of of fewer than 300,000 Americans in 2020. Most of those, according to the CDC had one or more pre existing condition. In fact, to date, only 15,000 Covid deaths did not list another underlying condition. Every year over 600,000 Americans die from cancer. I can post heart wrenching story after heart wrenching story about someone’s battle with cancer. Would that help put “Cancer into perspective”?
Exactly. And if you look at the overall deaths in the US in 2020 vs 2019, the numbers are basically the same. The fear mongering is nothing more than a diversion. They want us to focus on the left hand so we don't see what the right hand is doing.
Old 11-29-2020, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
Per the CDC, over 7,000,000 people die in the US each year. Never mentioned in the media and everyone just moves on oblivious to that fact. Unfortunately, the media on a daily basis keeps focusing on the numbers that will get them the most clicks. Funny you don’t hear about the percentage of deaths from COVID as the reason is the rate is substantially lower than in the late winter early spring. And to post something from Facebook, well......
Old 11-29-2020, 08:43 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,204 Times in 465 Posts

Anyone posting long rants gives themselves more importance than they deserve.
I will not read rants over 5 lines long. A waste of my time.
Grow up.
Old 11-29-2020, 09:00 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
This is off of Facebook--

Perspective.

Here is the story: You get a fever, and it's a little hard to breathe, but not that bad. Take some tylenol and go to bed. You wake up in the middle of the night to find yourself gasping for air. You reach over to your wife and get her attention. She rolls over, “What's wrong honey? It's the middle of the night.” It's then she can hear you breathing, or trying to. She turns on the light and sees the panic in your eyes... No matter how much you inhale, it's not enough, it's never enough. That would be bad enough but the fever is spiking, it's hard to focus. Your three kids come into the room, they heard Mom talking loud, trying to get your attention. The little girl, 6 years old, you're the center of her universe. She's a daddy's girl and loves it when you take her places with you. "Is Daddy Okay?" Mom tries to hide her panic "He's fine honey, he'll be okay..." She struggles trying to decide if she should drive you to the emergency room or get an ambulance. She decides to drive. You're too out of it to get dressed so she takes you in your pajamas. Once there, they admit you. Your wife cannot go in. You're alone. She is sent to the house to quarantine with the rest of your kids. They start to work on you. You're getting tired, your chest hurts from trying to breathe for so long. Your blood pressure is up. They lower your fever a little and put on an oxygen mask. It seems to help a little, but only for an hour or so. Then your lungs begin to fight for air again. They offer to turn you over on your stomach, "sometimes it helps" they say. They roll you over... It does. You look out the door, Doctors are running everywhere. There are patients in the hallways. The ward is full, and everyone is trying to keep up. You hear Code calls, and ventilator machines being rolled up and down the hallway. You notice you cannot smell anything, and you have pain all over. You wonder about your family. Your daughter, the fear in her eyes as her daddy was put into the car. "Why are you leaving Daddy? I'll take care of you..."
Pain.. the fight for air. It's back. You press the button. They roll you back over and check you out. The doctor comes up to your bed. Completely covered, face mask, hood, looks a little like an astronaut. "Sir, you're not getting enough oxygen in your blood. We need to put you on a ventilator." You nod in agreement, gasping. "Sir... You won't be able to talk once we do this. Would you like to say anything to your family? We can arrange a facetime with them if you like.” As your head tries to wrap itself around this offer, one question comes to mind: "How serious is this?" It takes the doc a while to respond, he's done this hundreds of times, but it never gets easy. "Patients that go on a ventilator have a 4 in 10 chance of not recovering. Should we try to reach your family?" You nod... Numb. Your brain can't handle all the info it's getting. The fever, the pain in your chest the struggle for air, it's too much. A nurse comes back in with an iPad. "I have your family online" she tries to say with a smile. You take the Ipad. There they are, all three kids and your wife. Your everything. The look on their faces is a look you've seen before. The brave smiles. The look you give when you feel sorrow and pain, but need to cheer up the person you’re talking too. They are not at home.. It looks like they are outside. You pull in as much air as you can so you can sound somewhat normal. It does not work. "Hey guys, where are you?" Your wife forces another smile. “We're outside your window honey. They put signs out so we know where you are. They can't let us in. We're not supposed to leave the house but we needed to be close to you.” She starts to cry, it's too much for her. That's when it hits you. Clarity, all at once.. You're saying "goodbye.” The next time you hug your family will either be a few weeks from now, or in the hereafter. So this is your last chance to say something. The six year old is shaking, pale with fear. "Hey there nugget.. How you doing?" "Daddy... Please come home... Who will read to me? I miss you so much, please get out of bed.. I'll do anything you want!" You never realized you could cry as hard as you are right now, and it's making the breathing even harder. You know you're scaring her. You cannot stay on much longer. "I'm sorry nugget... I can't get out of bed right now. You take care of your Mama for me okay? I love your everything.” She looks at you through tear soaked eyes.. "I love your everything too.” You can't do it... You can't say goodbye, it's all just too much. The iPad falls in your lap as you struggle to both breathe and cry all at once. An alarm goes off, the Docs surround you and begin to put in the ventilator. Your eyes close for the last time. It's over. It takes years for your family to recover. They lost their rock, and nothing will be the same, ever again... End
I felt compelled to write this to give a perspective to those of us who are more focused on comfort and "getting back to normal.” The above story has played out thousands of times with Mothers, Fathers, Grandparents, and children. Families that will grieve for years to come.
it's not about how high the numbers go. It's about that one person.. Your "everything.”
Please... show compassion. Odds are you know somebody that endured something like this. We're in a war right now, and we're losing. It's time to step up and make sure these kids keep their parents.
Thank you... Jay A Kelley 11/16/2020
*copied & pasted
To me some people treat & take safety with a grain of salt, they take mask & safe distant a waste of time others are very serious about Covid19. Me personally I take it serious, people that don’t wear mask I want them to stay the hell away from me, I don’t want to re-breath their air a 2nd time. So if they don’t want to take safety serious, go for it. Sorry I don’t care for a lot of Facebook’s advice. I understand you still could get Covid19 even if you do take all the precautions. But I’ll take my chances & take precautions!
Old 11-29-2020, 09:03 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail33or View Post
WW2 men charged Normandy "knowing" 90% would DIE. We live in FEAR of a 99% survivable flu. Shameful. Where the heck is THE GREATEST GENERATION when you need them.

America used to be "Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Now it is "Land of the Mask and Home of the Scared".

Scared of a 99% survivable flu.

Oh, one more thing. Early Christians knew if they met, they would be fed to LIONS. Now all churches are afraid of a 99% survivable flu. They close, they issue tickets, FREAKING TICKETS to go to Church.

My mother (who is late 90's) will NOT go see her lifelong friend who has 2 days to live (per Hospice not of Covid) because of the stories you just posted. Late 90's and afraid to Die. Probably because she can't get into church.
1% of the U.S. is 3.35 million people does that scare you. Try to do the simple thing like wear a mask and social distance until the vaccine is widely available to keep the numbers down.
Old 11-29-2020, 09:05 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
The death numbers in Sumter County have risen more rapidly this last week than they had in months. There were 85 reported dead from Covid-19 on the first of November and now it says this;

Sumter County cases
Updated Nov 28 at 12:26 PM local
Confirmed
3,412 (altogether since March)
+59 new cases.
Deaths
+3 Today.

Typing into my browser the words; Coronavirus Sumter County Florida. Gets me this information every day. Similarly Lake and Marion Counties.

I have stayed away from groups and worn a mask the few times I was in public. Husband still plays golf, 18 holes, four times a week and shops for us.

I don't try to change anyone's mind. We are treasured by our friends and kin and they are treasured by us. We keep ourselves busy and happily occupied.

I am so looking forward to receiving the vaccine.
Thank you for being the voice of reason. Everyone must do what is right for themselves without criticism of those who choose not to take precautions. Like you, I am alarmed at the increases in the number of deaths in our area so I will continue to take every precaution I need to take for myself and for those who love me. Stay safe.
Old 11-29-2020, 09:26 AM

Stop the fear... millions die every year in America before their time. 700,000 babies are aborted each year.
Closed Thread

Tags
family, put, air, ventilator, fever

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.