Putting the Corona Virus into perspective.

Closed Thread
Old 11-28-2020, 01:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulajr View Post
While I feel horrible that this scenario is possible for some...I know MANY people who have had, and recovered from Coronavirus, and all were able to stay in their houses, and have fully recovered. To put out this horrifying post does nothing but continue to terrify those who are already terrified. Stop. Shame on you...
Reality check to those who think this virus is not a concern to them.
Old 11-28-2020, 01:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

~~~
Old 11-28-2020, 01:31 PM

Surprisingly, the deaths of older people stayed the same before and after COVID-19. Since COVID-19 mainly affects the elderly, experts expected an increase in the percentage of deaths in older age groups. However, this increase is not seen from the CDC data. In fact, the percentages of deaths among all age groups remain relatively the same.

See more here.
Old 11-28-2020, 01:47 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
This is off of Facebook--

Perspective.

Here is the story: You get a fever, and it's a little hard to breathe, but not that bad. Take some tylenol and go to bed. You wake up in the middle of the night to find yourself gasping for air. You reach over to your wife and get her attention. She rolls over, “What's wrong honey? It's the middle of the night.” It's then she can hear you breathing, or trying to. She turns on the light and sees the panic in your eyes... No matter how much you inhale, it's not enough, it's never enough. That would be bad enough but the fever is spiking, it's hard to focus. Your three kids come into the room, they heard Mom talking loud, trying to get your attention. The little girl, 6 years old, you're the center of her universe. She's a daddy's girl and loves it when you take her places with you. "Is Daddy Okay?" Mom tries to hide her panic "He's fine honey, he'll be okay..." She struggles trying to decide if she should drive you to the emergency room or get an ambulance. She decides to drive. You're too out of it to get dressed so she takes you in your pajamas. Once there, they admit you. Your wife cannot go in. You're alone. She is sent to the house to quarantine with the rest of your kids. They start to work on you. You're getting tired, your chest hurts from trying to breathe for so long. Your blood pressure is up. They lower your fever a little and put on an oxygen mask. It seems to help a little, but only for an hour or so. Then your lungs begin to fight for air again. They offer to turn you over on your stomach, "sometimes it helps" they say. They roll you over... It does. You look out the door, Doctors are running everywhere. There are patients in the hallways. The ward is full, and everyone is trying to keep up. You hear Code calls, and ventilator machines being rolled up and down the hallway. You notice you cannot smell anything, and you have pain all over. You wonder about your family. Your daughter, the fear in her eyes as her daddy was put into the car. "Why are you leaving Daddy? I'll take care of you..."
Pain.. the fight for air. It's back. You press the button. They roll you back over and check you out. The doctor comes up to your bed. Completely covered, face mask, hood, looks a little like an astronaut. "Sir, you're not getting enough oxygen in your blood. We need to put you on a ventilator." You nod in agreement, gasping. "Sir... You won't be able to talk once we do this. Would you like to say anything to your family? We can arrange a facetime with them if you like.” As your head tries to wrap itself around this offer, one question comes to mind: "How serious is this?" It takes the doc a while to respond, he's done this hundreds of times, but it never gets easy. "Patients that go on a ventilator have a 4 in 10 chance of not recovering. Should we try to reach your family?" You nod... Numb. Your brain can't handle all the info it's getting. The fever, the pain in your chest the struggle for air, it's too much. A nurse comes back in with an iPad. "I have your family online" she tries to say with a smile. You take the Ipad. There they are, all three kids and your wife. Your everything. The look on their faces is a look you've seen before. The brave smiles. The look you give when you feel sorrow and pain, but need to cheer up the person you’re talking too. They are not at home.. It looks like they are outside. You pull in as much air as you can so you can sound somewhat normal. It does not work. "Hey guys, where are you?" Your wife forces another smile. “We're outside your window honey. They put signs out so we know where you are. They can't let us in. We're not supposed to leave the house but we needed to be close to you.” She starts to cry, it's too much for her. That's when it hits you. Clarity, all at once.. You're saying "goodbye.” The next time you hug your family will either be a few weeks from now, or in the hereafter. So this is your last chance to say something. The six year old is shaking, pale with fear. "Hey there nugget.. How you doing?" "Daddy... Please come home... Who will read to me? I miss you so much, please get out of bed.. I'll do anything you want!" You never realized you could cry as hard as you are right now, and it's making the breathing even harder. You know you're scaring her. You cannot stay on much longer. "I'm sorry nugget... I can't get out of bed right now. You take care of your Mama for me okay? I love your everything.” She looks at you through tear soaked eyes.. "I love your everything too.” You can't do it... You can't say goodbye, it's all just too much. The iPad falls in your lap as you struggle to both breathe and cry all at once. An alarm goes off, the Docs surround you and begin to put in the ventilator. Your eyes close for the last time. It's over. It takes years for your family to recover. They lost their rock, and nothing will be the same, ever again... End
I felt compelled to write this to give a perspective to those of us who are more focused on comfort and "getting back to normal.” The above story has played out thousands of times with Mothers, Fathers, Grandparents, and children. Families that will grieve for years to come.
it's not about how high the numbers go. It's about that one person.. Your "everything.”
Please... show compassion. Odds are you know somebody that endured something like this. We're in a war right now, and we're losing. It's time to step up and make sure these kids keep their parents.
Thank you... Jay A Kelley 11/16/2020
*copied & pasted
Keep Mongering that Fear. Most recover and didnt even know they had it.
Old 11-28-2020, 02:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Hey, I have an idea. Everyone age 60+ wear a mask for the rest of their lives and the death rate in America will be lowered. After all, it will save you from all contagious diseases. And then the youth of today can also complain about how we are using up all their Social Security funds, ha,ha.
Quit trying to shame folks into doing what you want them to do, just because you think you know all there is to know about safely suviving the virus. No one is saying they do not feel that masks have some value. But, each mask has a different amount of safety value, so what are you going to do? Are you going to look around you and see everyone wearing a mask and then declare that everyone has to purchase a certain type like you are wearing? Are you going to demand everyone wear gloves and face shield? Because medical personnel are, as well as disposable over garments. Mind you own business and allow others to make their own mistakes. You have no excuse for catching the virus, if it is YOU that mingles with those that you condemn as being careless. Because it is you that know it all, that is being careless. No one even knows enough about the virus in such a short time period to qualify as an expert, especially folks on here. No two doctors agree on anything related to the virus.
Folks die in the Villages, but I have heard less ambulances running past my neighborhood than before the virus. I am going to go out on the limb here and suggest that there are no more folks dying than last year or the year before. If so, then the idea that all the deaths are COVID related is an over-statement. I will also suggest that if almost all of the posters on here were tested, most of them would test positive and others would test positive at other points this year. More testing equates to more positives. And the argument goes on and on and on.
Yes, wear a mask and wash your hands. Stay away from people and quit hugging them. Everyone does NOT need a hug, believe it or not. Then, give us an excuse for how you tested positive for the virus when you decide to get tested. And for the rest of you that do not wish to conform to the hysteria, live your life and enjoy it. Arguing with those that have made up their mind is a wasted effort. Let the busy bodies have their day, and just ignore them and live your life the way our Founders intended it -----Free. It is no one else's responsibility to protect you. Be responsible and take care of yourself. Quit being so weak.

PS: And to the guy that stole my parking place when I was attempting to maneuver into it on Wed, be glad that it was me and not someone else that had less patience. And be glad that I was in a festive mood and did not give you a counseling session.
Old 11-28-2020, 02:37 PM
Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Reality check to those who think this virus is not a concern to them.
I don’t know ANYONE who doesn’t think the virus is a concern to them. But to publish a “story” like this ..just to frighten those who are already frightened...that is “clueless”...not me.

Last edited by paulajr; 11-28-2020 at 02:52 PM.
Old 11-28-2020, 02:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Coronavirus: What is it and how can I protect myself? - Mayo Clinic

Try researching reliable sources. This virus is very serious.
Old 11-28-2020, 02:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

This is from IPSOS the worlds third largest market research company. snipped

"
Washington, DC, October 27, 2020 – A new Ipsos poll shows that most Americans are concerned about a spike in COVID-19 cases in their area during the holiday season. Regarding Thanksgiving plans, over half plan to celebrate with just immediate family. Just one in ten are traveling to see family and friends, with the majority saying they will quarantine for at least a week before traveling. The most common adaptations for Thanksgiving this year are having a smaller gathering and not seeing family or friends that one normally would see. Nonetheless, a third do not plan to make any adjustment.

Last edited by graciegirl; 11-28-2020 at 09:36 PM.
Old 11-28-2020, 08:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,513 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
This is from IPSOS the worlds third largest market research company. snipped
Oh for the love of Mike.

I do those IPSOS surveys for points toward gift cards every day. They are a third-party survey company. They will create surveys to benefit whoever pays them. The people they survey are ONLY the people those companies that pay them, want to take the surveys.

In other words - if a mask manufacturer pays them to run a survey on "COVID concern" the survey will look something like this:

Looking ONLY for college-educated, working, married women whose school-age children attend public school.

Questions: age, gender, how many people under 18 live at home, how many (including yourself) over 18 live at home, your education, your income level.

If you answer just those initial questions in a way that doesn't fit what they're looking for, you're disqualified and can't continue the survey at all. Of COURSE the majority of people who DO fit that criteria, have a vested interest in the health and safety of their families, more than people whose families are already fully grown, or who are too young to be parents, or who have chosen not to be parents.

Just because you see it on the internet, doesn't mean it's reliable. Or that it'll give you any valid answers at all. Or that the results will be anything OTHER than "whatever the company that hired me, paid me to tell you"
Old 11-28-2020, 08:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Oh for the love of Mike.

I do those IPSOS surveys for points toward gift cards every day. They are a third-party survey company. They will create surveys to benefit whoever pays them. The people they survey are ONLY the people those companies that pay them, want to take the surveys.

In other words - if a mask manufacturer pays them to run a survey on "COVID concern" the survey will look something like this:

Looking ONLY for college-educated, working, married women whose school-age children attend public school.

Questions: age, gender, how many people under 18 live at home, how many (including yourself) over 18 live at home, your education, your income level.

If you answer just those initial questions in a way that doesn't fit what they're looking for, you're disqualified and can't continue the survey at all. Of COURSE the majority of people who DO fit that criteria, have a vested interest in the health and safety of their families, more than people whose families are already fully grown, or who are too young to be parents, or who have chosen not to be parents.

Just because you see it on the internet, doesn't mean it's reliable. Or that it'll give you any valid answers at all. Or that the results will be anything OTHER than "whatever the company that hired me, paid me to tell you"
Thank you for this. I really thought it was credible. When you say "Just because you see it on the internet , doesn't mean it's reliable" to me it hurts and embarrasses me.

Here is Gallup's latest findings that about half of Americans do not want to be directed to shut down.
Americans Less Amenable to Another COVID-19 Lockdown

I/we have the luxury of choice and coupled with the danger because of our age we remain careful, wearing masks and avoiding crowds, but we aren't afraid or paranoid.

Last edited by graciegirl; 11-28-2020 at 09:12 PM.
Old 11-28-2020, 09:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,513 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Thank you for this. I really thought it was credible. I will go and bring back one that says that 70% of people who live in U.S. are concerned about the virus. I have read several. I honestly thought this was a valid study.
It might be valid. or it might not be valid. The point, is what I already stated, that you even quoted:

Quote:
Old 11-28-2020, 09:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,389 Times in 2,067 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonbrown View Post
Surprisingly, the deaths of older people stayed the same before and after COVID-19. Since COVID-19 mainly affects the elderly, experts expected an increase in the percentage of deaths in older age groups. However, this increase is not seen from the CDC data. In fact, the percentages of deaths among all age groups remain relatively the same.

See more here.
Interesting. The jhunewsletter article claims a steady 62K deaths per week from 2/1 through 9/5. This CDC MMWR report shows the graph we've seen all along with excess deaths (>62K) beginning near the week ending 3/28, peaking at 80K the week of 4/11, and continuing through September.

How can these to datasets be so different and which one is correct?
Old 11-28-2020, 09:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
It might be valid. or it might not be valid. The point, is what I already stated, that you even quoted:
Here is Gallup's latest findings that about half of Americans do not want to be directed to shut down.

Americans Less Amenable to Another COVID-19 Lockdown
Old 11-28-2020, 09:41 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulajr View Post
While I feel horrible that this scenario is possible for some...I know MANY people who have had, and recovered from Coronavirus, and all were able to stay in their houses, and have fully recovered. To put out this horrifying post does nothing but continue to terrify those who are already terrified. Stop. Shame on you...
I tend to agree. Most people have mild symptoms and recover fine at home.

The flu also kills people every year and, sadly, people die from terrible infections caused by cuts and scrapes that most people would never have an issue with. I've heard of people getting blood poisoning and sepsis from a hangnail. Life can be so random.

Dwelling on worse case scenarios really tends to suck the joy out of life.
Old 11-28-2020, 09:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulfcoast View Post
I tend to agree. Most people have mild symptoms and recover fine at home.

The flu also kills people every year and, sadly, people die from terrible infections caused by cuts and scrapes that most people would never have an issue with. I've heard of people getting blood poisoning and sepsis from a hangnail. Life can be so random.

Dwelling on worse case scenarios really tends to suck the joy out of life.

Covid-19 is not so dangerous to younger people. Older ones are more at risk of dying. The Villages is a community for people over 55. This is the forum from that community. The median age is about 70 of folks living here.

Tags
family, put, air, ventilator, fever

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.