Putting the Corona Virus into perspective.

Closed Thread
Old 11-28-2020, 09:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,073 Times in 2,743 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Covid-19 is not so dangerous to younger people. Older ones are more at risk of dying. The Villages is a community for people over 55. This is the forum from that community. The median age is about 70 of folks living here.
And many like to quote the 99% survival rate as a reason we shouldn't worry about the virus and take necessary precautions. The 99% survival rate is for the general population. When the survival rate is broken down by age groups, the statistics tell a different story than lumping all cases together. Statistics can be easily manipulated to lead to the outcome one wants to get. Or they can be carefully examined and used correctly to get a much more significant conclusion.
Old 11-28-2020, 10:10 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Covid-19 is not so dangerous to younger people. Older ones are more at risk of dying. The Villages is a community for people over 55. This is the forum from that community. The median age is about 70 of folks living here.
My husband and I are in the 55+ age range which is why we're looking at TV. I realize that the risk of complications from Covid get higher with age and the severity of individual health issues. I'm just a glass half full sort of person and I guess that I lean towards being a bit of an optimist.
Old 11-28-2020, 10:26 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Thank you for the touching story Tal. I had a friend recently die from COVID-19. He was a strong healthy 56 year old before succumbing to this disease. You can quote all the statistics you like and talk about people who died from complications of a hangnail, but the fact is this is a dangerous virus that should be treated seriously. Some talk about the death rate being less than 1% as though that is trivial, well for the ones that die and their families and their friends it is far from trivial. The cavalier attitude,and lack of empathy by some people is appalling.
Old 11-29-2020, 01:09 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
Thank you for the touching story Tal. I had a friend recently die from COVID-19. He was a strong healthy 56 year old before succumbing to this disease. You can quote all the statistics you like and talk about people who died from complications of a hangnail, but the fact is this is a dangerous virus that should be treated seriously. Some talk about the death rate being less than 1% as though that is trivial, well for the ones that die and their families and their friends it is far from trivial. The cavalier attitude,and lack of empathy by some people is appalling.
I think we simply have different personalities and different ways of assessing risks.

I will ask you to defer to the experts on this one. The WHO has stated that shutdowns have been catastrophic to communities, sending people into despair and poverty. The WHO does not recommend shutdowns saying that they do far more harm than good. The CDC has stated that children are safer in school and that they should be receiving face to face instruction. I look at this information and, to me, that means that we need to stop worrying so much about things that are really beyond our control. Medical doctors are saying that we need to keep working and sending our kids to school or risk catastrophic and irreversible damage to our communities.

Wear a mask, maintain good social distance but realize that the people eating out at restaurants, shopping at the stores, taking fitness classes at the gyms, attending schools are helping to keep our communities thriving, too. We need to stop second guessing each other and work on mitigating our own risks as necessary.
Old 11-29-2020, 06:01 AM

So many people are already scared and afraid. Your post will not encourage anyone to wear mask, etc. Your post will not change anyone's mind about the virus. The only result will be changing those who are already scared into those who are now terrified.
Old 11-29-2020, 06:29 AM

Well “paulajr” If you get it you’ll know what to expect now!
Old 11-29-2020, 06:30 AM

Let the natural selection continue.
Old 11-29-2020, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail33or View Post
WW2 men charged Normandy "knowing" 90% would DIE. We live in FEAR of a 99% survivable flu. Shameful. Where the heck is THE GREATEST GENERATION when you need them.

America used to be "Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Now it is "Land of the Mask and Home of the Scared".

Scared of a 99% survivable flu.

Oh, one more thing. Early Christians knew if they met, they would be fed to LIONS. Now all churches are afraid of a 99% survivable flu. They close, they issue tickets, FREAKING TICKETS to go to Church.

My mother (who is late 90's) will NOT go see her lifelong friend who has 2 days to live (per Hospice not of Covid) because of the stories you just posted. Late 90's and afraid to Die. Probably because she can't get into church.
Thank you for someone with some common sense and reality...
Old 11-29-2020, 07:05 AM

Why do people feel a need for such long posts? If you.canr say it in a couple sentences then it is probably not worth saying.
Old 11-29-2020, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
Hey, I have an idea. Everyone age 60+ wear a mask for the rest of their lives and the death rate in America will be lowered. After all, it will save you from all contagious diseases. And then the youth of today can also complain about how we are using up all their Social Security funds, ha,ha.
Quit trying to shame folks into doing what you want them to do, just because you think you know all there is to know about safely suviving the virus. No one is saying they do not feel that masks have some value. But, each mask has a different amount of safety value, so what are you going to do? Are you going to look around you and see everyone wearing a mask and then declare that everyone has to purchase a certain type like you are wearing? Are you going to demand everyone wear gloves and face shield? Because medical personnel are, as well as disposable over garments. Mind you own business and allow others to make their own mistakes. You have no excuse for catching the virus, if it is YOU that mingles with those that you condemn as being careless. Because it is you that know it all, that is being careless. No one even knows enough about the virus in such a short time period to qualify as an expert, especially folks on here. No two doctors agree on anything related to the virus.
Folks die in the Villages, but I have heard less ambulances running past my neighborhood than before the virus. I am going to go out on the limb here and suggest that there are no more folks dying than last year or the year before. If so, then the idea that all the deaths are COVID related is an over-statement. I will also suggest that if almost all of the posters on here were tested, most of them would test positive and others would test positive at other points this year. More testing equates to more positives. And the argument goes on and on and on.
Yes, wear a mask and wash your hands. Stay away from people and quit hugging them. Everyone does NOT need a hug, believe it or not. Then, give us an excuse for how you tested positive for the virus when you decide to get tested. And for the rest of you that do not wish to conform to the hysteria, live your life and enjoy it. Arguing with those that have made up their mind is a wasted effort. Let the busy bodies have their day, and just ignore them and live your life the way our Founders intended it -----Free. It is no one else's responsibility to protect you. Be responsible and take care of yourself. Quit being so weak.

PS: And to the guy that stole my parking place when I was attempting to maneuver into it on Wed, be glad that it was me and not someone else that had less patience. And be glad that I was in a festive mood and did not give you a counseling session.
Bravo, couldn’t have said it better! The daily Covid, CCP virus update on here just continues, over and over and over...everyone believes they are now the Covid Czars and needs to school everyone to accept their rationale. They need to turn off their TV and go live their lives....
Old 11-29-2020, 07:15 AM

Or how about an article warning you to remember a horrific car crash before you get behind the wheel? Or that you could be sitting on your couch and a meteoroid could crash through your roof?

For real perspective, how about discussing the vast majority of cases that recover fully?

Always selecting the worst case scenario is the hallmark of fear mongering.
Old 11-29-2020, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulajr View Post
While I feel horrible that this scenario is possible for some...I know MANY people who have had, and recovered from Coronavirus, and all were able to stay in their houses, and have fully recovered. To put out this horrifying post does nothing but continue to terrify those who are already terrified. Stop. Shame on you...
Shame!!!! Go work in an ICU, go be the one to hold the IPad so a loved one says goodbye. Yes many survive others will have long term disabilities. But to say shame on you for sharing reality! That is just cruel.
Old 11-29-2020, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulajr View Post
I don’t know ANYONE who doesn’t think the virus is a concern to them. But to publish a “story” like this ..just to frighten those who are already frightened...that is “clueless”...not me.
Gee. What are your thoughts on The Holocaust?
Old 11-29-2020, 07:35 AM

In our own family we suffered a tragic death due to Covid. My brother-in-law died four months ago of Covid. He called 911 and was taken to the hospital. After a few days he was put on a ventilator as his oxygen was very low. We did get to "visit" with him by Zoom; very sad for all of us. He died two weeks after this. His wife also had Covid, but was able to stay at home and recovered. We are all seniors.
I can't wait to get vaccinated.

Last edited by Miguel 1952; 11-29-2020 at 07:42 AM.
Old 11-29-2020, 07:45 AM

Holocaust? What does the Holocaust have to do with the China virus? Anyway the original story was a good one now do a story of people who have lost loved ones through depression, suicide & drug addiction. Now do a story of people who have lost their life saving because their business was shut down by the government. Do a story about how kids can’t read, write or do basic math b/c they can’t go to school. Where is your compassion for these people?
Closed Thread

Tags
family, put, air, ventilator, fever

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.