Putting the immigration "flow" in perspective...

Closed Thread
Old 03-25-2019, 07:58 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Only around 2% of American citizens are Native American, of Native American ancestry. The other 98% are either immigrants, or descended of immigrants. There are around 328 million American citizens, total. That means over 280 million people living in this country are either immigrants, or descendants of immigrants. If immigrants living in the USA is really offensive to you, then be the change.
Here is my take on this issue....

If you go back far enough in history ALL humans came into "the Americas" from another land.

No humans were here when what we now call "America" was formed.

Even today's "Native American's" started here as immigrants from another land.

After tens of thousands years have passed why should anyone care who immigrated here first?

Don

Western PA, Marietta GA, finally TV....
Old 03-25-2019, 08:02 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Yep...exactly.

All too many conveniently forget, or purposely ignore, that this country was actually founded/built by "immigrants" who didn't have to do anything more than show up...and use superior force to subjugate those who had been here for thousands of years.

While we definitely have to have some sensible immigration laws, I truly believe that the biggest fear of a lot of folks is that the unstated adage of "white + might = right"...might be slipping away.
You are not referring to the hundreds of thousands of white menwho fought, were wounded and died in all the wars that saved this Country from destruction....are you ?
Old 03-25-2019, 08:02 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,592 Times in 1,758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthOfTheBorder View Post
Here is my take on this issue....

If you go back far enough in history ALL humans came into "the Americas" from another land.

No humans were here when what we now call "America" was formed.

Even today's "Native American's" started here as immigrants from another land.

After tens of thousands years have passed why should anyone care who immigrated here first?

Don

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 03-25-2019, 08:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,454 Times in 3,085 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppers62 View Post
I am Native American...how do you think we felt when your ancestors came to America...bringing diseases and death to our people?
My ancestors came right before WWII. If they hadn't, they would've experienced the same atrocities your people experienced, in concentration camps. That's kind of why I take offense with this entire tirade against immigrants - legal or otherwise.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:37 PM
TOTV Moderator

The topic is current illegal immigration issues in this country. Please stay on topic. Discuss the topic and not each other.

This is a current events issue. We would like to see it continue with reasonable discussion that avoids partisan political jabs and personal attacks.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Old 03-25-2019, 09:05 PM
Default Immigrants

Quote:
Only around 2% of American citizens are Native American, of Native American ancestry. The other 98% are either immigrants, or descended of immigrants. There are around 328 million American citizens, total. That means over 280 million people living in this country are either immigrants, or descendants of immigrants. If immigrants living in the USA is really offensive to you, then be the change.
I did not know that the numbers for immigration were so high. I did not realize the number of Native Americans was so low. I am a descendant of immigrants, yet I am allowed to be here. My nephew married a woman who came here legally from somewhere down in Mexico or Central America. She and her sisters and brothers all have jobs here in the states and raise their children well. She has just discovered that her green card is no longer valid. What to do? Should she take her 7 yo son, who is an American citizen back to Mexico, leaving her husband and family. In speaking with a lawyer she was told Mexico would not let her come back.
When we talk to her she tells us of the horrible conditions the people live through and are trying to get out of. People do not walk as far as some have walked unless there is something horrible from which they are escaping. I consider myself extremely lucky to live in a land which affords us such a wonderful life. We took it away from the Indians and got away from it.
I do not know what the answer is but it seems that we as such a privileged land needs to help alleviate some of the horrible conditions that force people to emigrate from their countries. I don't believe that God, who died for all of our souls, accepts that we just look the other way.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Legal immigration built this country, at least those who came with skills and the desire to work. We would be better off without those who came for welfare and criminal lifestyles.

The various current illegal alien/immigrant invasions need to be stopped.
I agree, but how?
Old 03-25-2019, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppers62 View Post
I am Native American...how do you think we felt when your ancestors came to America...bringing diseases and death to our people?
I am sure it made you feel horrible. I am so sorry that the immigrants coming in then did that!
Old 03-25-2019, 09:15 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Except using your own data source - those are not people who have entered illegally. Those are people who were STOPPED from entering illegally. They never got through. They were either arrested or turned away.
Exactly. Is the discussion intended to be about how many asylum seekers and potential immigrants are prevented from entering each week? If so, this is from the Department of Homeland Security. They are puffing themselves up, but:

"CBP Border Patrol apprehensions have dropped by 53 percent since 2008, indicating that fewer people are attempting to illegally cross the border; while the Border Patrol is better staffed than at any time in its history with more than 21,000 border agents— most of these agents at the Southwest border.

Patrols in the Southwest have substantially increased the amount of drugs, guns, and cash seized over the last three years:

74 percent more money
41 percent more drugs, and
159 percent more weapons have been apprehended.

Additionally, since 2008, crime rates have fallen in Arizona, California, New Mexico, and Texas."

It's distressing to me on a human level that so many people in countries with poor or unstable economies leave the only homes and families they know and whose best hope is to attempt to enter the US knowing they will not be allowed in. How desperate must they be?

All four of my grandparents were immigrants through Ellis Island in the 20s and 30s, but boy has the door ever slammed shut since then.

I met my husband while living overseas and can verify that legal immigration takes tedious years, tests, and Immigration visits. And that's for an "automatic" legal approval due to marriage.

In other words, I think the process is generally working as it should.

Last edited by queasy27; 03-26-2019 at 10:12 AM.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:32 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallybowron View Post
I did not know that the numbers for immigration were so high. I did not realize the number of Native Americans was so low. I am a descendant of immigrants, yet I am allowed to be here. My nephew married a woman who came here legally from somewhere down in Mexico or Central America. She and her sisters and brothers all have jobs here in the states and raise their children well. She has just discovered that her green card is no longer valid. What to do? Should she take her 7 yo son, who is an American citizen back to Mexico, leaving her husband and family. In speaking with a lawyer she was told Mexico would not let her come back.
When we talk to her she tells us of the horrible conditions the people live through and are trying to get out of. People do not walk as far as some have walked unless there is something horrible from which they are escaping. I consider myself extremely lucky to live in a land which affords us such a wonderful life. We took it away from the Indians and got away from it.
I do not know what the answer is but it seems that we as such a privileged land needs to help alleviate some of the horrible conditions that force people to emigrate from their countries. I don't believe that God, who died for all of our souls, accepts that we just look the other way.
There are a couple of billion people living under those conditions....how many do you think we can accept?
Old 03-25-2019, 09:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Azz View Post
Our country and values were built on immigrants coming to America and making a life here!
If someone is not happy with having people coming into the country they are always free to leave.
In Australia you cannot enter the country to live without first having a job. That was required of my German grandparents too. I am NOT happy about just anyone entering the country.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:57 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,211 Times in 350 Posts

I think immigration is healthy and makes us a better country. We should be a compassionate country helping those who are in need. But it has to be legal immigration. Perhaps we have to come up with a more efficient way to process immigrants and provide a path to citizenship. But opening our borders and using a "catch and release" strategy isn't IMO the right approach.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
The thread is about illegal immigration and it's impact on where the take up residence.
Actually, your initial post didn't mention illegal immigration. It only mentioned immigration.
Old 03-26-2019, 02:24 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

I’m on the fence on imitation. I see logical points made in this thread to clamp down, but then I think of GOD and my holy Bible that says the opposite. Do I close my eyes to the word of God? Another fact, that 1.2 million immigrants sounds like a large number, but in reality, that is less than one third of one percent of our population, I.e. a drop in the bucket. 2.7 million Americans die annually. As I type this I realize, YES, America has serious problems, but illegal immigration is way down on the list.
BOTTOM LINE: I will go with the word of GOD and not the fear tactics of the politicians and media. Are we Christians or not?
Old 03-26-2019, 02:42 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

I found the link below helpful in my search for truth about the immigration issue.

9 Things the Bible Says You Should Do for Refugees | CBN News
Closed Thread

Tags
american, affect, future, cities, discussion

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.