Quantitative easing

Closed Thread
Old 01-22-2015, 03:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts
Default Quantitative easing

Well, QE has hit Europe to the tune of 1 trillion euros. The European Central Bank will be purchasing 60 billion euros in bonds per month through September 2016. The markets are reacting quite well to this news. Our recovery has been so far ahead of Europe that they are adopting our polices. Once again, the good old USA is leading the way.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:33 PM
Veteran member

I wonder if they EU is going to suffer the same doom and gloom that was predicted for us?

Curious how the EU followed the path that the doom and gloomers in our country wanted to take... look what happened to them.

The advantage the EU has, that we did not.... is the USA is now moving toward full recovery. We did not have a global economic power house like our country to buy our goods and services... That is a huge benefit that we did not have, that the EU will have to help out their recovery.

Thank you to Mr. Ben Bernanke!
Old 01-26-2015, 05:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I don't have a clue what you are talking about. This must be some political rhetoric that I haven't been exposed to.

What is Quantitative easing? It makes me guess that it is printing money with no backing or issuing bonds with no backing. Or borrowing money from oneself?

Here is what I found.

http://useconomy.about.com/od/glossa...ive-Easing.htm

This paragraph below is within the article linked above.....Kinda scary to ME.

Where does the money come from to purchase these assets? The Fed has the ability to simply create it. This unique ability is a function of all central banks. It has the same effect as printing money. The asset purchases are done by the Trading Desk at the New York Federal Reserve Bank.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I don't have a clue what you are talking about. This must be some political rhetoric that I haven't been exposed to.

What is Quantitative easing? It makes me guess that it is printing money with no backing or issuing bonds with no backing. Or borrowing money from oneself?

Could you two explain further what you are talking about?
You pretty much nailed it on the head. It's like giving your teenager a credit card and tell them that the card has no limit but you want them to be responsible. National Debt has now passed 18 Trillion, (Bush Jr. 5.8 trillion in 8 years Obama 6.1 trillion 6 years.) Contingent Liabilities (Pensions, SS etc) are conservatively pegged at over 200 trillion or as I like to say 200,000 Billion.

Bernie Madoff, as long as he was getting fresh money, (his form of Quantitative Easing) was paying double digit interest rates and we all know how that ended. This is much the same. However you will never convince a Keynesian that this is bad. They will tell you look at the stock market. I used to have the risk of deflation risk pegged at about 5%. I now have it at 50%.

I believe that you can't spend more than you take in. But watch how many people are going to call me a doomsday nut for taking that position.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

Here is what I found.

What Is Quantitative Easing: Defined and Explained

This paragraph below is within the article linked above.....Kinda scary to ME.

Where does the money come from to purchase these assets? The Fed has the ability to simply create it. This unique ability is a function of all central banks. It has the same effect as printing money. The asset purchases are done by the Trading Desk at the New York Federal Reserve Bank.
I wonder if we could get Mr. Bernanke to come to LSL to give a speech to explain his past actions. He should be well prepared since he has done several briefings to Congress and it appears several still do not understand this policy.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Towards the end of last year the Fed announced the end of its 6 year Quantitative Easing program.

Now it's Europe's turn.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1422454659312.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	47286  
Old 01-28-2015, 09:22 AM
Administrator

This topic could easily head down a political discussion path. Please keep topic off of political discussions.

Thanks

TOTV Team
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.