Question

Closed Thread
Old 07-23-2021, 07:59 AM
Red face Question

How can someone use my credit card NUMBER (I still have the CC in my possession), without the chip or the three digit code, which I obliterate and memorize? Someone attempted to use it in a different state, 2000 miles away, to buy pot. My bank caught the transaction and contacted me. Of course, now I have a new card and go through the hassle of notifying all my CC contacts with the new information.
Old 07-23-2021, 08:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,708 Times in 5,240 Posts

Apparently, it's the merchant's decision to require the chip or the 3 digit code. Some do and some don't. I don't think many banks require anything except the actual credit card number for processing a transaction.
Old 07-23-2021, 08:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,388 Times in 2,066 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelingal702 View Post
How can someone use my credit card NUMBER (I still have the CC in my possession), without the chip or the three digit code, which I obliterate and memorize? Someone attempted to use it in a different state, 2000 miles away, to buy pot. My bank caught the transaction and contacted me. Of course, now I have a new card and go through the hassle of notifying all my CC contacts with the new information.
I'm not sure how that was possible but it since it happened, there must be a way.

After having our number compromised twice and going through the hassles of changing all our recurring payments we chose to get two separate cards. One is used only for online, recurring payments, it only comes out of my wallet for emergencies. The other is the card we use everyday. The everyday card is the one most likely to be compromised but since it isn't use for recurring payments there will be little work required to replace it.

One of our cards also offers virtual account numbers; one-time numbers that I can create as needed. I use these for websites I don't normally purchase from and for vendors that I might want to cancel in the future (easier to let the one-time number expire than to cancel the entire card)

Two simple steps that have saved me a lot of hassle.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough

Last edited by Bill14564; 07-23-2021 at 09:40 AM.
Old 07-23-2021, 08:37 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,191 Times in 761 Posts

Inside job, I had a credit card canceled because of a fraudulent charge, and a new card and number issued... a few days later, I got another fraudulent charge on the new card, which I didn't even receive yet....
Old 07-23-2021, 09:10 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

If you use your card someplace and enter your security code, the bad guys could have captured that with something called the man in the middle, or by putting a bug in/on the CC reader, etc. A common method is putting a small reader in the slot of a gas pump to get the card number. They don't require the security code but do require your zip code. And many (most) people use their CCs in the home area, so the bad guys can guess the zip code. Lots of ways.

One thing I would suggest, from reading your question, is that you set up with your CC company to text you a message every time a charge is made using your card. Then you can catch it the moment it happens and report it.
Old 07-23-2021, 09:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

I agree with above on the email notifications, I have caught several charges that were fraud. In discussions with the CC company, they indicated the scammers are using random number generators and charging amounts like 1 cent that go unnoticed, if the charge goes through, then they go for the bigger charge. The emails effectively stop this, but you still have to go through the hassle of a new card. I am looking into using a second checking account for reoccurring payments, with NO overdraft protection. I will just transfer in the amount necessary plus a small surplus as needed to cover the upcoming bill. I think this will work.
Old 07-23-2021, 09:25 AM
Veteran member

Have you used it at a gas station recently, because that's where many cards are skimmed. btw, one can't buy pot with a credit card. It's a cash only business.
Old 07-23-2021, 09:36 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
If you use your card someplace and enter your security code, the bad guys could have captured that with something called the man in the middle, or by putting a bug in/on the CC reader, etc. A common method is putting a small reader in the slot of a gas pump to get the card number. They don't require the security code but do require your zip code. And many (most) people use their CCs in the home area, so the bad guys can guess the zip code. Lots of ways.

One thing I would suggest, from reading your question, is that you set up with your CC company to text you a message every time a charge is made using your card. Then you can catch it the moment it happens and report it.
The 3 digit security code is unique to the individual card itself, and is not needed when you make an in-person transaction using the card. The only time you need the 3 digit code is when you are making a purchase online or on the phone where the merchant cannot see the card or swipe it. In the OP's case, it is possible that the scammer had a fake card with the OP's CC number on it, and, therefore, did not need to use the 3 digit code.
Old 07-23-2021, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Franklin View Post
Have you used it at a gas station recently, because that's where many cards are skimmed. btw, one can't buy pot with a credit card. It's a cash only business.
I called the company in question and they said they only accept Debit Cards or Cash. Mine is definitely NOT a Debit card.
Old 07-23-2021, 10:26 AM
Sage

Quote:
Marijuana is not a cash only business everywhere. Credit card transactions are allowed in some areas of the country. But, some banks do not allow credit card transactions because they are regulated by the Federal Government and marijuana is illegal under Federal law.
Old 07-23-2021, 01:35 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Marijuana is not a cash only business everywhere. Credit card transactions are allowed in some areas of the country. But, some banks do not allow credit card transactions because they are regulated by the Federal Government and marijuana is illegal under Federal law.
Where are credit cards accepted? Are you talking about an ATM machine inside a dispensary??

Why Paying with Cards at Marijuana Stores is so Complicated
Old 07-23-2021, 02:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Where are credit cards accepted? Are you talking about an ATM machine inside a dispensary??

One way is to use an app called "KindPay".
Old 07-23-2021, 02:47 PM
John41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelingal702 View Post
Yes that happened to me a few years ago. I got a call to verify some gasoline purchases one after the other. Total amount stolen was $700 which I did not have to pay. Also had someone buy over the phone an expensive ladies sweater from a store in Chicago. I’d rather have fraud against my credit card than a debit card which I don’t have.
Old 07-23-2021, 03:06 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
This is accurate - sadly.
Old 07-23-2021, 03:06 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:

I am pretty sure in Oregon and Washington.
Closed Thread

Tags
card, contacted, bank, transaction, caught

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.