Question

Closed Thread
Old 07-24-2021, 09:45 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelingal702 View Post
How can someone use my credit card NUMBER (I still have the CC in my possession), without the chip or the three digit code, which I obliterate and memorize? Someone attempted to use it in a different state, 2000 miles away, to buy pot. My bank caught the transaction and contacted me. Of course, now I have a new card and go through the hassle of notifying all my CC contacts with the new information.
Don’t feel bad I had my credit card used in Arizona just this past week & we live in Texas. Never been to Arizona. Our bank took care of it, with no problems. I’m guessing some people make so many charges on their credit card that they can’t follow them all, so the crook gets away with a purchase, & the credit card owner just pays it because they don’t even notice it. The credit card that I use, I only use it for gas, restaurants & groceries. I’m getting to the point where I might start using cash. It’s going to happen a lot of times until maybe the banks will make it totally theft proof, if that’s possible!
Old 07-24-2021, 10:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,617 Times in 5,196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine1974 View Post
Pot is a cash only business.
Mostly, but there are marijuana dispensaries in Seattle that accept credit cards.
Old 07-24-2021, 10:44 AM

Look up “White Plastic CC Fraud” on You Tube. Shows how bad actors can get you information.
Old 07-24-2021, 11:01 AM
Veteran member

My credit card was skimmed at a gas station several years ago. The perps charged a few smaller items to my skimmed card of between $5 and $12. My credit card company sent me an email asking if I had made those charges, since it was a different pattern from my usual charging patterns. They told me the perps usually charge smaller items a first and if the charges go through, then they go after the larger, expensive items.
I changed my card reporting to alert me for every purchase over $1.00. So now I get alerted every time my card is used. This way I know immediately if my card was skimmed or used without my knowledge.
Old 07-24-2021, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelingal702 View Post
How can someone use my credit card NUMBER (I still have the CC in my possession), without the chip or the three digit code, which I obliterate and memorize? Someone attempted to use it in a different state, 2000 miles away, to buy pot. My bank caught the transaction and contacted me. Of course, now I have a new card and go through the hassle of notifying all my CC contacts with the new information.
Hackers can get into your phone OR the place they are charging doesn’t use the CVV code - 3 digit code. All the overseas crooks don’t use the CVV code because they can track the origin of the charge. In the last few elections hundreds of millions of PAC money went thru foreign without the CVV code. If your card isn’t part of a commercial bank then they aren’t looking out for you. I have US bank and everytime a charge goes thru I get a text with the amount- it’s all on the same line for the month then I match up my statement to those charges ! I’ve caught spectrum double billing me at least 2-3 times ! My card has no fee.
Old 07-24-2021, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
If you use your card someplace and enter your security code, the bad guys could have captured that with something called the man in the middle, or by putting a bug in/on the CC reader, etc. A common method is putting a small reader in the slot of a gas pump to get the card number. They don't require the security code but do require your zip code. And many (most) people use their CCs in the home area, so the bad guys can guess the zip code. Lots of ways.

One thing I would suggest, from reading your question, is that you set up with your CC company to text you a message every time a charge is made using your card. Then you can catch it the moment it happens and report it.
Exactly when I moved to Florida I was scammed by the villages hometown rental ! US Bank and I set up every time it’s used I get a text ! They even watch for patterns and when Spectrum cable double charged me they immediately notified me by text and I got it reversed. Now that I’m leaving Florida the end of the summer I don’t expect the amount of attempted fraud.

Folks Florida is number one for fraud in the USA. They know 25% of the 23.5M people here are 65 and over they target you ! They know folks are trusting and tend to stay with one bank and card.

The most valuable commodity out there is not your home property etc it’s your data. It is resold hundreds of times a year multi billion dollar companies pay other companies use a relational database and create new unique lists.

Sadly the card companies no longer help a dispute that’s why you need to be vigilant. I never have a card on auto pay especially down here.

After 2 years of nothing but problems with credit card charges house etc I’m moving out of Florida. Sadly the state and the fed are absent in fixing these issues due to lobbyists contributions.
Old 07-24-2021, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Franklin View Post
Have you used it at a gas station recently, because that's where many cards are skimmed. btw, one can't buy pot with a credit card. It's a cash only business.
That’s not so. You can buy lots of drugs on a credit card. They are typically from China India England Philippines Indonesia etc. they use a middle man and then they ship FedEx UPS DHL and certified mail- less than 2% are caught by customs.
Old 07-24-2021, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I agree with above on the email notifications, I have caught several charges that were fraud. In discussions with the CC company, they indicated the scammers are using random number generators and charging amounts like 1 cent that go unnoticed, if the charge goes through, then they go for the bigger charge. The emails effectively stop this, but you still have to go through the hassle of a new card. I am looking into using a second checking account for reoccurring payments, with NO overdraft protection. I will just transfer in the amount necessary plus a small surplus as needed to cover the upcoming bill. I think this will work.
I also agree...however for CCs that offer, I get a text rather than an email. Emails tend to get reviewed once a day or less, where as text can be seen and reacted to immediately. I get the texts many times while standing at the cash register. In restaurants, the rapid text also helps if the card is processed more than once. Most CC companies allow texts and you can set it up at all purchases or any over a threshold assigned by you.
Old 07-24-2021, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlride View Post
Apple's credit card, supported by Goldman Sachs, only puts the last four digits on the card and no personal identity number. Difficult for nefarious individuals to "skim" the card.
Actually, its no harder than any regular card. The number is on the card for the customer's benefit. It will thwart the waiter\waitress that takes your card to pay for a meal where they can't write down your number, expiration date, etc., but it absolutely does nothing for skimming.

Skimming involves the card being passed through a reader and the information on the magnetic strip on the back being captured. Apple's credit card can be skimmed just as easily and just as fast as any other.
Old 07-24-2021, 09:00 PM
Platinum member
Angry

After we moved to Florida in 2014, we had our bank call us and ask if we had been to South Africa and made a charge of $2300 to a restaurant. I said never been there. and we were not charged. Musta been one helluva party.
Old 07-25-2021, 09:01 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRMACK55 View Post
That’s not so. You can buy lots of drugs on a credit card. They are typically from China India England Philippines Indonesia etc. they use a middle man and then they ship FedEx UPS DHL and certified mail- less than 2% are caught by customs.
LOL. OK, if you say so. You didn't quote me honestly. You added two different post from two different strings. That makes anything you post, unreliable and untruthful.

Tags
card, contacted, bank, transaction, caught

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.