Question about Human Behavior

Closed Thread
Old 12-30-2018, 06:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,416 Times in 5,107 Posts
Default Question about Human Behavior

I drove to the mailboxes this morning. There was a woman at the newspaper box trying to buy a paper. When I returned from getting my mail, she was still there. I asked her if she was having a problem getting a paper. She said that she had 3 quarters and a nickel, but needed 4 quarters. I told her that I would be happy to give her a quarter. She said, "Oh no, I will walk home and get another quarter". Can someone explain why she wouldn't take a quarter from me? And, does it have anything to do with male vs female behavior?

Last edited by retiredguy123; 12-30-2018 at 06:49 PM.
Old 12-30-2018, 06:55 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I drove to the mailboxes this morning. There was a woman at the newspaper box trying to buy a paper. When I returned from getting my mail, she was still there. I asked her if she was having a problem getting a paper. She said that she had 3 quarters and a nickel, but needed 4 quarters. I told her that I would be happy to give her a quarter. She said, "Oh no, I will walk home and get another quarter". Can someone explain why she wouldn't take a quarter from me? And, does it have anything to do with male vs female behavior?

No generalities. Just individual behaviors. I would have smiled at you, taken your quarter, and said, "Thank you." Got the paper. And then walked home.
Old 12-30-2018, 06:58 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
No generalities. Just individual behaviors. I would have smiled at you, taken your quarter, and said, "Thank you." Got the paper. And then walked home.
it was kind of you to offer.
Old 12-30-2018, 07:22 PM
Soaring Parsley

Ya know, now, that I think further about it, I might even have said, "Thank you, kind sir. Chivalry is not dead."
Old 12-30-2018, 07:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
it was kind of you to offer.
Yes it was.
Old 12-30-2018, 07:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,397 Times in 2,255 Posts

Quote:
My wife's parents are incapable of accepting help. I have no idea how to change them. They would literally freeze before they would ask for a blanket. I'm sure there are others like them.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 12-30-2018, 07:54 PM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
My wife's parents are incapable of accepting help. I have no idea how to change them. They would literally freeze before they would ask for a blanket. I'm sure there are others like them.

We yam what we yam. Nature? Nurture? Both.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Some people don’t like to own anything. Just as there are those who like to give, those who expect to receive, aNd those who will not even accept penny. That’s it, no Clovis man or rare species found here.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Sometimes the Aura of some people just don't line up. It is possible that for some strange reason she felt uncomfortable. Maybe you got into her personal space and she felt uncomfortable.

You made a great gesture, never give up.

Man Vs Woman, not!
Old 12-30-2018, 08:33 PM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Some people don’t like to own anything. Just as there are those who like to give, those who expect to receive, aNd those who will not even accept penny. That’s it, no Clovis man or rare species found here.

Are sure about that, Tops?

Those Clovis guys made some pretty good tools. Have you seen all those tools crammed into TV garages because some guy insisted on bringing them. Some of those spearheads look pretty old.

Gotta give Clovis man credit though. Those spearheads are thought by some to be the first American invention.

Ah, man as tool user. Some things are wired in, forever.

Fun fact-- or not --- while on the topic of prehistoric man:

Do you know why when asked, "Booth or table?" in a restaurant, a booth is most often the choice?

Well, it is because we harken back to our cave dwelling days when getting food took up a big part of the day, and was not always easy to find, so we hid with it when we had it.

And now, back to topic, OP.

Boomer Flintstone

Last edited by Boomer; 12-30-2018 at 08:41 PM.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,397 Times in 2,255 Posts

Quote:

Those Clovis guys made some pretty good tools. Have you seen all those tools crammed into TV garages because some guy insisted on bringing them. Some of those spearheads look pretty old.

Gotta give Clovis man credit though. Those spearheads are thought by some to be the first American invention.

Fun fact, or not, while on the topic of prehistoric man:

Do you know why when asked, "Booth or table?" in a restaurant, a booth is most often the choice?

Well, it is because we harken back to our cave dwelling days when getting food took up a big part of the day, and was not always easy to find, so we hid with it when we had it.

Boomer Flintstone
I choose the booth because they have more comfortable seating than the straight back table chairs. I order the Tomahawk ribeye because of my caveman roots..

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 12-30-2018, 08:44 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
IMO....It is a simple answer.

Today was a great day to walk and she enjoys walking. Going back home to get a quarter just extended her morning walk on a beautiful day. It had nothing to do with you or your offer.

Male vs. female behavior, really?

Don

Western PA, Marietta GA, finally TV....
Old 12-30-2018, 08:51 PM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
I choose the booth because they have more comfortable seating than the straight back table chairs. I order the Tomahawk ribeye because of my caveman roots..

Well, maybe it's the chairs you do not like.

But, especially considering that you acknowledge your caveman roots, how are you so sure you are not hiding in that booth so nobody can see you and your rib eye?

I think you need to think this one through. I suspect there is more to it than meets the rib eye.

(Geez. "rib eye" That was terrible. Pathetic. I am embarrassing myself. I need to stop posting now, for the night, at least.)
Old 12-30-2018, 09:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:

Fun fact-- or not --- while on the topic of prehistoric man:

Boomer Flintstone
I’m surprised boomer of you’re knowledge of “ the Clovis people “.
Old 12-30-2018, 09:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Many of us, whose parents lived through the great depression, were taught never to ask for anything. Do without first and always. It was a matter of independence and pride I guess. I still feel that way.

I cannot tell you how many Go Fund Me's upset me.

Tags
quarter, paper, behavior, quarters, give

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.