Question about Human Behavior

Closed Thread
Old 12-30-2018, 09:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I drove to the mailboxes this morning. There was a woman at the newspaper box trying to buy a paper. When I returned from getting my mail, she was still there. I asked her if she was having a problem getting a paper. She said that she had 3 quarters and a nickel, but needed 4 quarters. I told her that I would be happy to give her a quarter. She said, "Oh no, I will walk home and get another quarter". Can someone explain why she wouldn't take a quarter from me? And, does it have anything to do with male vs female behavior?
Did you notice a ring or not on her wedding finger? Some single women I have met will not take any help especially from a lone single man. Others do though.
Old 12-30-2018, 09:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,417 Times in 2,267 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Many of us, whose parents lived through the great depression, were taught never to ask for anything. Do without first and always. It was a matter of independence and pride I guess. I still feel that way.

I cannot tell you how many Go Fund Me's upset me.
I think that has a lot to do with it. They were born and grew up in Malta which was the most bombed island in WWII. They lived in bomb shelters for a good part of their childhood.

They are indeed very proud. And very stubborn too. lol

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 12-30-2018, 10:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I drove to the mailboxes this morning. There was a woman at the newspaper box trying to buy a paper. When I returned from getting my mail, she was still there. I asked her if she was having a problem getting a paper. She said that she had 3 quarters and a nickel, but needed 4 quarters. I told her that I would be happy to give her a quarter. She said, "Oh no, I will walk home and get another quarter". Can someone explain why she wouldn't take a quarter from me? And, does it have anything to do with male vs female behavior?
Hey, the bottom line is that you did the right thing. Who knows exactly why you got the response that you did, but as long as you know that you did the right thing you can close your eyes when you go to bed tonight and sleep well. All we can do in life is do the right thing and respect others, and try not to worry about things we can't control. Happy New Years and here is wishing everyone a great 2019 : )
Old 12-31-2018, 05:50 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656

I have a neighbor like that. Great guy but will never ask for anything.
Old 12-31-2018, 06:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Are sure about that, Tops?

Those Clovis guys made some pretty good tools. Have you seen all those tools crammed into TV garages because some guy insisted on bringing them. Some of those spearheads look pretty old.

Gotta give Clovis man credit though. Those spearheads are thought by some to be the first American invention.

Ah, man as tool user. Some things are wired in, forever.

Fun fact-- or not --- while on the topic of prehistoric man:

Do you know why when asked, "Booth or table?" in a restaurant, a booth is most often the choice?

Well, it is because we harken back to our cave dwelling days when getting food took up a big part of the day, and was not always easy to find, so we hid with it when we had it.

And now, back to topic, OP.

Boomer Flintstone
Well, I am going to hijack this thread ........ I'm married to the cave dweller ..... always wants a booth, not only a booth but sits on the side where you can see out of the window - need to see the enemy approaching??? If we are at a table, has to sit where he has the most open view of the room. Me, I could care less, booth or table, it's all the same to me - just feed me.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 12-31-2018, 06:33 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,105 Times in 1,338 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
My wife's parents are incapable of accepting help. I have no idea how to change them. They would literally freeze before they would ask for a blanket. I'm sure there are others like them.
Sounds like my Dad.
Old 12-31-2018, 08:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Well, I am going to hijack this thread ........ I'm married to the cave dweller ..... always wants a booth, not only a booth but sits on the side where you can see out of the window - need to see the enemy approaching??? If we are at a table, has to sit where he has the most open view of the room. Me, I could care less, booth or table, it's all the same to me - just feed me.
Did he fight in a war, by any chance? My husband was in Vietnam, and he's very uncomfortable sitting with his back to the window or door of a restaurant.

I prefer a booth because of the privacy and the fact that there is room to park my purse and sweater and any packages on the bench and not the floor.
Old 12-31-2018, 08:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
That could be it has to do with psychology or just an aching back. Booths are padded.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:17 AM

Life was so much simpler before the internet.😱
Old 01-03-2019, 11:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I would have taken your coin rather than go home, even with all of my pride and independence. But I wouldn't have needed it because we get the Daily Sun every day.

In these situations, I soothe my pride and conscience by adding a little more to any collection that I participate in...

Again. I say Thank you for your kindness. Please don't be hurt or offended even a little. It takes all kinds to make this world. And most of us are pretty good eggs.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Ha! Sounds like our household, but both of us have to sit where we can the see the majority of people. At the movies, ALWAYS the very top row.

Back to the original OP; I grew up as poor as a church mouse. My Dads sisters always tried to buy my brother and I things; I always turned down their offer, my brother didn’t. I guess even as a child, I was too proud to accept any handouts. I guess to a fault, I still am. I’m two months into shoulder surgery and have turned down many offers from neighbors to help me with my lawn.

Tags
quarter, paper, behavior, quarters, give

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.