Question about Human Behavior

Question about Human Behavior

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Question about Human Behavior
  #1  
Old 12-30-2018, 06:43 PM
retiredguy123 retiredguy123 is offline
Platinum member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,781
Default Question about Human Behavior

I drove to the mailboxes this morning. There was a woman at the newspaper box trying to buy a paper. When I returned from getting my mail, she was still there. I asked her if she was having a problem getting a paper. She said that she had 3 quarters and a nickel, but needed 4 quarters. I told her that I would be happy to give her a quarter. She said, "Oh no, I will walk home and get another quarter". Can someone explain why she wouldn't take a quarter from me? And, does it have anything to do with male vs female behavior?

Last edited by retiredguy123; 12-30-2018 at 06:49 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old 12-30-2018, 06:55 PM
Boomer Boomer is online now
Soaring Parsley
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,672
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I drove to the mailboxes this morning. There was a woman at the newspaper box trying to buy a paper. When I returned from getting my mail, she was still there. I asked her if she was having a problem getting a paper. She said that she had 3 quarters and a nickel, but needed 4 quarters. I told her that I would be happy to give her a quarter. She said, "Oh no, I will walk home and get another quarter". Can someone explain why she wouldn't take a quarter from me? And, does it have anything to do with male vs female behavior?

No generalities. Just individual behaviors. I would have smiled at you, taken your quarter, and said, "Thank you." Got the paper. And then walked home.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #3  
Old 12-30-2018, 06:58 PM
fw102807's Avatar
fw102807 fw102807 is online now
Sage
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: New England
Posts: 3,939
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
No generalities. Just individual behaviors. I would have smiled at you, taken your quarter, and said, "Thank you." Got the paper. And then walked home.
it was kind of you to offer.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-30-2018, 07:22 PM
Boomer Boomer is online now
Soaring Parsley
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,672
Default

Ya know, now, that I think further about it, I might even have said, "Thank you, kind sir. Chivalry is not dead."
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-30-2018, 07:36 PM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: From Ohio, now happily live in Laurel Valley
Posts: 35,750
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
it was kind of you to offer.
Yes it was.
__________________
I have to be myself, everyone else is taken.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-30-2018, 07:40 PM
Kenswing's Avatar
Kenswing Kenswing is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Upper Left Coast
Posts: 4,732
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I drove to the mailboxes this morning. There was a woman at the newspaper box trying to buy a paper. When I returned from getting my mail, she was still there. I asked her if she was having a problem getting a paper. She said that she had 3 quarters and a nickel, but needed 4 quarters. I told her that I would be happy to give her a quarter. She said, "Oh no, I will walk home and get another quarter". Can someone explain why she wouldn't take a quarter from me? And, does it have anything to do with male vs female behavior?
My wife's parents are incapable of accepting help. I have no idea how to change them. They would literally freeze before they would ask for a blanket. I'm sure there are others like them.
__________________
Birthdays Are Good For You. Statistics Show the More That You Have The Longer You Will Live..

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-30-2018, 07:54 PM
Boomer Boomer is online now
Soaring Parsley
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,672
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
My wife's parents are incapable of accepting help. I have no idea how to change them. They would literally freeze before they would ask for a blanket. I'm sure there are others like them.

We yam what we yam. Nature? Nurture? Both.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-30-2018, 08:08 PM
Topspinmo's Avatar
Topspinmo Topspinmo is online now
Sage
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Oregon Mo. St Joesph mo, ft worth tx, Omaha neb., upper heyford UK, Clovis NM, OKC.
Posts: 4,013
Default

Some people don’t like to own anything. Just as there are those who like to give, those who expect to receive, aNd those who will not even accept penny. That’s it, no Clovis man or rare species found here.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-30-2018, 08:27 PM
Nucky's Avatar
Nucky Nucky is online now
Sage
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 7,702
Default

Sometimes the Aura of some people just don't line up. It is possible that for some strange reason she felt uncomfortable. Maybe you got into her personal space and she felt uncomfortable.

You made a great gesture, never give up.

Man Vs Woman, not!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-30-2018, 08:33 PM
Boomer Boomer is online now
Soaring Parsley
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,672
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Some people don’t like to own anything. Just as there are those who like to give, those who expect to receive, aNd those who will not even accept penny. That’s it, no Clovis man or rare species found here.

Are sure about that, Tops?

Those Clovis guys made some pretty good tools. Have you seen all those tools crammed into TV garages because some guy insisted on bringing them. Some of those spearheads look pretty old.

Gotta give Clovis man credit though. Those spearheads are thought by some to be the first American invention.

Ah, man as tool user. Some things are wired in, forever.

Fun fact-- or not --- while on the topic of prehistoric man:

Do you know why when asked, "Booth or table?" in a restaurant, a booth is most often the choice?

Well, it is because we harken back to our cave dwelling days when getting food took up a big part of the day, and was not always easy to find, so we hid with it when we had it.

And now, back to topic, OP.

Boomer Flintstone

Last edited by Boomer; 12-30-2018 at 08:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
quarter, paper, behavior, quarters, give

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:37 PM.