Question about Human Behavior

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 12-30-2018, 06:43 PM
Platinum member

Default Question about Human Behavior

I drove to the mailboxes this morning. There was a woman at the newspaper box trying to buy a paper. When I returned from getting my mail, she was still there. I asked her if she was having a problem getting a paper. She said that she had 3 quarters and a nickel, but needed 4 quarters. I told her that I would be happy to give her a quarter. She said, "Oh no, I will walk home and get another quarter". Can someone explain why she wouldn't take a quarter from me? And, does it have anything to do with male vs female behavior?

Last edited by retiredguy123; 12-30-2018 at 06:49 PM.

Old 12-30-2018, 06:55 PM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I drove to the mailboxes this morning. There was a woman at the newspaper box trying to buy a paper. When I returned from getting my mail, she was still there. I asked her if she was having a problem getting a paper. She said that she had 3 quarters and a nickel, but needed 4 quarters. I told her that I would be happy to give her a quarter. She said, "Oh no, I will walk home and get another quarter". Can someone explain why she wouldn't take a quarter from me? And, does it have anything to do with male vs female behavior?

No generalities. Just individual behaviors. I would have smiled at you, taken your quarter, and said, "Thank you." Got the paper. And then walked home.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2018, 06:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
No generalities. Just individual behaviors. I would have smiled at you, taken your quarter, and said, "Thank you." Got the paper. And then walked home.
it was kind of you to offer.
Old 12-30-2018, 07:22 PM
Soaring Parsley

Ya know, now, that I think further about it, I might even have said, "Thank you, kind sir. Chivalry is not dead."
Old 12-30-2018, 07:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
it was kind of you to offer.
Yes it was.
Old 12-30-2018, 07:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
My wife's parents are incapable of accepting help. I have no idea how to change them. They would literally freeze before they would ask for a blanket. I'm sure there are others like them.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 12-30-2018, 07:54 PM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
My wife's parents are incapable of accepting help. I have no idea how to change them. They would literally freeze before they would ask for a blanket. I'm sure there are others like them.

We yam what we yam. Nature? Nurture? Both.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:08 PM
Sage

Location: Oregon Mo. St Joesph mo, ft worth tx, Omaha neb., upper heyford UK, Clovis NM, OKC.

Some people don’t like to own anything. Just as there are those who like to give, those who expect to receive, aNd those who will not even accept penny. That’s it, no Clovis man or rare species found here.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:27 PM
Sage

Sometimes the Aura of some people just don't line up. It is possible that for some strange reason she felt uncomfortable. Maybe you got into her personal space and she felt uncomfortable.

You made a great gesture, never give up.

Man Vs Woman, not!
Old 12-30-2018, 08:33 PM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Some people don’t like to own anything. Just as there are those who like to give, those who expect to receive, aNd those who will not even accept penny. That’s it, no Clovis man or rare species found here.

Are sure about that, Tops?

Those Clovis guys made some pretty good tools. Have you seen all those tools crammed into TV garages because some guy insisted on bringing them. Some of those spearheads look pretty old.

Gotta give Clovis man credit though. Those spearheads are thought by some to be the first American invention.

Ah, man as tool user. Some things are wired in, forever.

Fun fact-- or not --- while on the topic of prehistoric man:

Do you know why when asked, "Booth or table?" in a restaurant, a booth is most often the choice?

Well, it is because we harken back to our cave dwelling days when getting food took up a big part of the day, and was not always easy to find, so we hid with it when we had it.

And now, back to topic, OP.

Boomer Flintstone

Last edited by Boomer; 12-30-2018 at 08:41 PM.

Tags
quarter, paper, behavior, quarters, give