Question about washing machines

Closed Thread
Old 12-10-2018, 07:49 AM
Location: Detroit area, Da UP, 6 states and 2 countries in 21 years Army, now Duneden
Default Question about washing machines

My wife wants a washer with an agitator. Looks like Maytag and GE are the two that Lowes sells. What are your recent experiences with these washers with agitators? I'm not interested in the differences or opinions between with or without agitator, just recent experiences with agitators. Her mind is made up. Thanks.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic4me View Post
My wife wants a washer with an agitator. Looks like Maytag and GE are the two that Lowes sells. What are your recent experiences with these washers with agitators? I'm not interested in the differences or opinions between with or without agitator, just recent experiences with agitators. Her mind is made up. Thanks.
After the recent demise of our Maytag, we were faced with the same question. My first thought was that I want an agitator, just like the recently departed who served us for many years. But after talking to several sellers of appliances, we decided against one, but bought another Maytag, that is made by Whirlpool. We were told that agitators were dropped than companies continued to get requests for them, and they returned, but the other kind are better. The new one arrives this week. We will see.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:08 AM
fw102807

I am part of the cult that believes that there is nothing that compares to a Speed Queen but they do not sell these in Lowes or Home Depot. We got ours from DeSantis. They are the only brand where all of the components are made in the USA and these are the exact same machines that you see in most of the laundromats only without the coin slots.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Our experience has been fantastic with Samsung Front Loaders. Going strong and about three years old and run daily.

I sign up for the online Consumer Report service everytime some appliance goes down the drain. It only costs $7 for a month then you can cancel. I believe they talked

about the pros and cons of Agitator Vs Non-Agitator. This report helped me pick out the Samsung Models we have. Others have had no luck with Samsung, we bought

the extended warranty which states if they can't fix it for any reason Home Depot will replace them. Interest-free for two years also. Good Luck. No Agitator and it only

uses a little water on each load.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:03 AM
Sage

We were having fun, no tension, a little kidding around.

Do we like agitators or not on this site? The answer is NO.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:34 AM
Soaring Eagle member

No problem without the agitators. I think the wash time is longer and the water usage is less. Front loading is easier.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:40 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
I am part of the cult that believes that there is nothing that compares to a Speed Queen but they do not sell these in Lowes or Home Depot. We got ours from DeSantis. They are the only brand where all of the components are made in the USA and these are the exact same machines that you see in most of the laundromats only without the coin slots.
I am in the Speed Queen cult with you.

That is what we have up north. Very few frills, solidly built, outstanding reputation, has an agitator. Speed Queen is carried by some “Mom and Pop” appliance stores. The Speed Queen website should have a “Store Locator” section.

There are some old threads on here where Speed Queen was discussed. I tried to do a search so I could link that information. But my computer is a little squirrelly this morning so I gave up.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:10 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
The Speed Queen website should have a “Store Locator” section.
It does. Here are the SpeedQueen dealers in zip 32163

Where to Buy - Speed Queen - Home Laundry Equipment

Consumer Reports review rate worse than Maytag or GE

Speed Queen TR7 Review - Consumer Reports

Last edited by Dan9871; 12-10-2018 at 10:18 AM.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:21 AM
Sage
Default On a separate but somewhat related subject;

Maytag Repairman’s New Job Keeps Him Busy - The New York Times

Has anyone noticed that the Maytag repairman is now in several movies on the Hallmark channel. It is really hard for me to think of him as a romantic interest. I expect to see him running in place.

Maytag Man Colin Ferguson on his New Hallmark "Fixer Upper Mystery" | MediaVillage
Old 12-10-2018, 10:27 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

We had a GE without an agitator that lasted 7 years. My wife never liked it, so we bought a new GE with agitator last year at Lowes. She likes it much better. It wasn't expensive, so if we get 6 to 8 years out of it that works for me.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:54 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Maytag Repairman’s New Job Keeps Him Busy - The New York Times

Has anyone noticed that the Maytag repairman is now in several movies on the Hallmark channel. It is really hard for me to think of him as a romantic interest. I expect to see him running in place.

Maytag Man Colin Ferguson on his New Hallmark "Fixer Upper Mystery" | MediaVillage
He's been on Hallmark a bit longer than the commercials he's doing. But I agree with you!
Old 12-10-2018, 12:13 PM
fw102807

Speed Queen totally redesigned their machines in 2018. The company was allowed to sell their standard design through 2017 but then in 2018 the government regulation (that already affected other manufacturers) would kick in and they'd have to conform. They were allowed to sell through 2017 but then had to switch over to the new "conservation/efficiency" design.

I use a full tub of warm or hot water because I will never believe clothes get clean in 6 inches of water. i had a Bosch front loader up north and I hated it. I will keep this Speed Queen washer until I die.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
Speed Queen totally redesigned their machines in 2018. The company was allowed to sell their standard design through 2017 but then in 2018 the government regulation (that already affected other manufacturers) would kick in and they'd have to conform. They were allowed to sell through 2017 but then had to switch over to the new "conservation/efficiency" design.

I use a full tub of warm or hot water because I will never believe clothes get clean in 6 inches of water. i had a Bosch front loader up north and I hated it. I will keep this Speed Queen washer until I die.
I agree about the use of quite a bit of water to get clothes clean.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Cold Versus Hot/Warm

Quote:
Don't Bother Using Hot Water to Wash Your Laundry

Consumer Reports' experts say cold water can get the job done
Old 12-10-2018, 03:32 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
I don't believe anything that Consumer Reports has to say about anything. I also will never be convinced that cold water effectively cleans anything no matter how many studies that you produce. I use hot water, lots of it.
Closed Thread

Tags
agitator, agitators, recent, experiences, interested

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.