Questions about Apple Watches

Closed Thread
Old 11-10-2020, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
I have an Apple Watch, Boomer. I like it so much I leave my a Tag Heuer (a gift) in its box. Why? Because I like Apple’s functions. You do need an iPhone to synchronize it to. I got the cellular one because you can go walking with it or swimming and the watch works without the phone. You can call for help on your watch some ways from shore while you’re in the ocean as long as there are signal towers near by. You can call for help if you fall at home in the bath tub etc. You can text 911 if there is home invasion. The watch vibrates your wrist if you get a phone call or a text, or a reminder or whatever notification you want. This can be a nuisance when you are driving so you can turn it off. You may want to check out with AT&T (or whoever you want to use) how much the monthly fees are for what you want to use the phone and the watch for.

I never had android phone but hubby did and he said he had to start over on the iPhone but this was years ago.

I got the stainless steel watch because I use the watch constantly. The only time I take the watch off is to recharge the battery for 30 min a day. My iPhone has the largest memory possible because I take a lot of photos for art. Memory is expensive you may or may not want it. I have the bigger iPhone because it is easier to read, but for most things like reading recipes in the kitchen or writing on TOTV forum etc I use an iPad Pro as it has the large screen. It is always with me. Twice a year I might need to use a computer for something.

What I suggest is look at what you would like to use the phone and watch for and only buy those functions. So go for the cheapest of what you need. My favorite band for the watch is the Nike band because it likes water and it has holes so the skin can breathe. The colors from Apple are funky so I bought my own dove grey band not sold in the Apple store. It takes 5 seconds to change the band to leather when you want to look a bit dressier.

Prices for all products should be available at the Apple store if you Google it. Apple has wonderful tech support, they will get everything going for you all you have to do is call them they can do it remotely.

I do not use face recognition or finger print because I consider them invasion of privacy. You may not be such a stick in the mud though. Just letting you know. Got my first iPhone in 1998 I still have it and I have every series of Apple Watch except the most recent one because I don’t like the watch’s digital face being on all the time.
If you have the previous series of watch - Series 5 - this has the always on feature as has the latest Series 6 watch.

This is the feature that, when introduced on the Series 5, was the decider for me to buy one.

However, it can be turned off.
Old 11-10-2020, 06:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Just curious, why would anyone want to look at a watch for anything but the time. I can't see my 6 Plus I phone screen without wearing 2X cheaters, no less the screen on a watch?
Old 11-10-2020, 06:52 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

An Apple 2020 SE costs 400 dollars and is an excellent phone
Old 11-10-2020, 07:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Just curious, why would anyone want to look at a watch for anything but the time. I can't see my 6 Plus I phone screen without wearing 2X cheaters, no less the screen on a watch?
The watch has Siri, you can talk to the watch. I know what you mean, hard to read text or see photos on the watch. My watch counts steps and exercise minutes that I set and gets very excited when I meet my set goal. Even more excited than hubby.
Old 11-10-2020, 09:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,741 Times in 1,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Many things you do on a phone can be done on and Apple Watch, you don't need to carry a phone.

When doing my cateract surgery, I ask for a lens in my left eye that let me see my Apple Watch. Right eye covers distance.
Old 11-10-2020, 10:11 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana1963 View Post
It took 20 seconds with internet search. No. While you can use a cellular Apple Watch while using an Android phone, the watch won't pair to the phone, so they won't exchange data.Sep 22, 2020
Since your technology challenged stick with an analog or digital watch.
I use the oldest watch in the world. But only accurate about half the time.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Sunsail Watch.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	86909  
Old 11-10-2020, 11:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFSkol View Post
I use the oldest watch in the world. But only accurate about half the time.
And only when you are standing in the right direction (if you’re wearing it).
Old 11-10-2020, 11:08 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
And only when you are standing in the right direction (if you’re wearing it).
I have it preset for happy hour.
Old 11-10-2020, 11:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFSkol View Post
I have it preset for happy hour.
Old 11-11-2020, 06:06 AM
Default So helpful!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9871 View Post
Under normal circumstances, I would be going to a store to learn more, but that always takes forever and I am avoiding long, indoor contact with people I do not know. I am not at all tech savvy — as you will see by the following questions.

Question #1: I now have an Android, but if I get an Apple Watch, will I have to get an iPhone to work with it? NO, except as just a watch.

Question #2: If I have to get an iPhone, will everything transfer from my current Android? Sort of, Maybe. Nothing will transfer automatically. You may need some help but your email should transfer over. You will have to install the Apple versions of your apps (if there is one) or install similar apps. Subscriptions my be a problem, you may have to cancel an Android app subscription and get a new one. This kind of question is best to ask at the store. The Apple store can help to do these transfers.

Question #3: Which Apple Watch would you suggest? What are the differences?
Current (Model 6), aluminum case. 45mm version is larger and easier to read.

Case material is different, aluminum is cheapest. Features are the same. The current version has an always-on display so that it is immediately visible. The current watch tracks heartbeat, blood oxygen levels, EKG. Notifies of an unusual heartbeat. If you get the LTE model you can make a 911 call on your watch even if you don't have your phone with you. It tracks how well you sleep.

Question #4: If I have to get an iPhone, which one would you suggest?
Might as well get the latest, iPhone 12. Bigger ones are easier to read. All have outstanding cameras though there are some differences between them. Not sure if the small, iPhone Mini has all the features that the other models do.

Question #5: What could all this cost? Is there a price range?

Right now the Apple store is undergoing a change so I can't look up prices. But off the top of my head watch is $400 (for least expensive Model 6), iPhone $600 - $1400 depending on iPhone size and memory. But check the prices for yourself to be sure.

Thanks.

Boomer
I wish there were more people like you here.
Old 11-11-2020, 06:09 AM
Default Get a Samsung watch

If you’re intent on getting a Smart watch, instead of buying an Apple phone, just get a Samsung watch instead. Samsung is not anal like Apple, who will make you pay a lot for even the slightest item. Also, Samsung gives you more options while Apple doesn’t even allow functions that would cost nothing on Android or charge you for them.
Old 11-11-2020, 06:39 AM

Some Apple watches have their own cellular connection. I bought one for my wife, who is non technical and she loves it. Checks her sleep, has instant 2 way talk and she can answer her phone with the watch.
Old 11-11-2020, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Under normal circumstances, I would be going to a store to learn more, but that always takes forever and I am avoiding long, indoor contact with people I do not know. I am not at all tech savvy — as you will see by the following questions.

Question #1: I now have an Android, but if I get an Apple Watch, will I have to get an iPhone to work with it?

Question #2: If I have to get an iPhone, will everything transfer from my current Android?

Question #3: Which Apple Watch would you suggest? What are the differences?

Question #4: If I have to get an iPhone, which one would you suggest?

Question #5: What could all this cost? Is there a price range?

Thanks.

Boomer
I have always found the Apple customer service to be EXCELLENT. They answer every question i have fully, professionally and friendly, even the ones I feel make me look technologically un-savvy, though I am not, i may just not know that specific product. Yes, you will find some reps better than others, but I’ve never had one who didn’t know their product.
Old 11-11-2020, 06:58 AM

As a former Sr Technical Adviser with Apple, I would be happy to answer your questions. Call me 412-398-3034. Tom
Old 11-11-2020, 07:00 AM

Apple watches will tell time, track distance and do some other apps without an Iphone paired. But if you want phone and watch to work together such as answering phone on watch or store health history you nned an Apple phone. I have had 3 watches, they are great - but if you are wanting for distance sports or all day tracking - their battery life is low. Get a Garmin.
If you buy a watch from Apple on line, you will always get the latest model. If you buy from store, they might have newest model and the model before, if a new release of watches just came out. The previous model might be discounted a little. Apple tends to set prices so any lower price variance is absorbed by the store.
Apple has a great website and help support for data support and new phone start up. They can help you move data from Android. If it can be done - they will tell you how. Just search or ask on line.
Apple works the best if you use Apple products - Macbook, phone, watch for all of them to sync n share info — also Apple family members for file and photo share, Facetime etc.
Closed Thread

Tags
question, apple, iphone, android, watch

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.