Questions about Apple Watches

Closed Thread
Old 11-11-2020, 07:12 AM

I have an Apple phone and an Apple Watch. I would never switch from a droid phone to an Apple phone it’s too complicated most people stay with the same type of phone. iPhones can cost upwards of $1000 the iPhone X Is a nice phone
Old 11-11-2020, 07:23 AM

You can always go to apple.com and find out info at their webpage on all products and pricing. If you call (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753), they can answer almost any question about products, including pricing. Good luck. I'm buying the new Watch 6 because with the ECG app I'll be able to keep track of Afib.
Old 11-11-2020, 08:08 AM

There are several inexpensive "How to" books on Amazon that explain the Apple Watch
Old 11-11-2020, 08:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana1963 View Post
It took 20 seconds with internet search. No. While you can use a cellular Apple Watch while using an Android phone, the watch won't pair to the phone, so they won't exchange data.Sep 22, 2020
Since your technology challenged stick with an analog or digital watch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
20 seconds? Analog? And a superiority dance to boot? But. But. But. I now have reasons for getting an Apple Watch. But I am not allowed because I am too stupid???

And, btw, I almost prefaced my questions by saying that I know that they are “dumb” but do not mock me. And, sure enough, it happened immediately.

Also, I know how to do an internet search. I have noticed lately though that is the stock, condescending answer that gets thrown at someone here who is just asking a question.

I have taught research. But there are times when I prefer anecdotal answers — and TOTV used to be the place to find that. But, still, I know there has to be someone here who will help me by synthesizing the information I want by generously sharing their knowledge. (Yes. There are fewer of us now. Too many others waiting to pounce.)

There is an insidious toxicity that shows up, more and more, in even the most innocent of threads. I really do need to stop looking at TOTV. Old habit that used to be fun. (sigh)

Sincerely,
Boomerosaurus

PS: (I am far too nice to point out the fact that you need to revisit the use of your/you’re.)
Boom 💥! Great response to the snarky response left by a left. 😉
Old 11-11-2020, 08:20 AM
Veteran member

Androids and Apple products use different operating systems. Apple watches do not work with android systems, they use iOS. You can get a smart watch that will work with your current phone, but if you want an Apple Watch you will need an Apple phone. Hope that helps.
Old 11-11-2020, 08:20 AM
Veteran member

Quick answer to #5. A bucket full of cash lol
Old 11-11-2020, 08:25 AM

Q2: There’s a pair of apps that will transfer 90% of your apps and data from android to iPhones.

Last edited by matandch; 11-11-2020 at 08:54 AM.
Old 11-11-2020, 08:38 AM
Default I have an Apple Watch and Apple phone

Quote:
Under normal circumstances, I would be going to a store to learn more, but that always takes forever and I am avoiding long, indoor contact with people I do not know. I am not at all tech savvy — as you will see by the following questions.

Question #1: I now have an Android, but if I get an Apple Watch, will I have to get an iPhone to work with it?

Question #2: If I have to get an iPhone, will everything transfer from my current Android?

Question #3: Which Apple Watch would you suggest? What are the differences?

Question #4: If I have to get an iPhone, which one would you suggest?

Question #5: What could all this cost? Is there a price range?

Thanks.

Boomer
Ok great question, I have a Apple 7 Plus phone and a Apple 3rd generation watch, they are great, left the Android world many years ago to a much better platform (my opinion). Store the information on the cloud and yes you can transfer it to the Apple system. I would NOT get anything lower than an Apple 7 or a Gen 3 watch you can find those new phone $300 or watch $250 today, I would NOT purchase used or refurbished. The Apple technology is on my opinion far better than Android and more difficult to hack although not impossible. I have been an Apple user for now 15 years and before I used and taught Android systems for many years until I saw “the light” Now I have in my household 100% Apple including a Mac computer, 2 IPads, 2 Apple phones and 1 Apple Watch. Google the difference.
Old 11-11-2020, 09:06 AM

Quote:
20 seconds? Analog? And a superiority dance to boot? But. But. But. I now have reasons for getting an Apple Watch. But I am not allowed because I am too stupid???

And, btw, I almost prefaced my questions by saying that I know that they are “dumb” but do not mock me. And, sure enough, it happened immediately.

Also, I know how to do an internet search. I have noticed lately though that is the stock, condescending answer that gets thrown at someone here who is just asking a question.

I have taught research. But there are times when I prefer anecdotal answers — and TOTV used to be the place to find that. But, still, I know there has to be someone here who will help me by synthesizing the information I want by generously sharing their knowledge. (Yes. There are fewer of us now. Too many others waiting to pounce.)

There is an insidious toxicity that shows up, more and more, in even the most innocent of threads. I really do need to stop looking at TOTV. Old habit that used to be fun. (sigh)

Sincerely,
Boomerosaurus

PS: (I am far too nice to point out the fact that you need to revisit the use of your/you’re.)
Welcome to TOTV! I was very annoyed by such a condescending response. People who are book smart but have no manners or common sense abound here. Ignore the inconsiderate buffoons and know-it-alls.

I love my Apple Watch (11 Pro Max) and Apple Watch. However, if you like your Android phone, purchase a Fit Bit. Works well with all watches and does the same thing. It’s a great fitness watch and you can load 300 songs on it as well.
Old 11-11-2020, 09:55 AM

I love my Apple Watch since it does pair with my iPhone. Can answer my phone with it and read texts. Lots of extra apps on it to track my walking, pulse rate. Newer ones are waterproof to a degree if you’re a swimmer... the older models can be much cheaper.
Old 11-11-2020, 10:56 AM
Default An Insidious Toxicity...

Quote:
20 seconds? Analog? And a superiority dance to boot?
I couldn't agree more, and thanks for taking the time to give Dana1963 an earful. I love your (see: some of us can get this correct) phrase "insidious toxicity", which perfectly captures what I like the least about what social media has degenerated into, and the main reason why I spend less and less time "enjoying" it.

As for your actual question, I've found it best to go all in with either the Apple or Android ecosystems. For various reasons most of my family and I have chosen to sell our online souls to Apple rather than Google, but really they both have their good points and bad.

I currently own an Apple 12 Pro, which is the largest (6.1") and most expensive ($1000) iPhone that I've ever owned, but it has the best camera they currently offer which was the feature which sold it to me. On the other end of the spectrum, my son is quite happy with the smallest and least expensive (~$400, IIRC) iPhone, which he uses.

In any event, I hope that you're happy with whatever choice you make, and that if it is an Apple watch that is suits whatever requirement lead you to look in that direction in the first place.
Old 11-11-2020, 11:00 AM
Default Transitioning to iPhone and Apple Watch

Even though I have lived in The Villages for almost seven years, I have never posted on TOTV, but I do enjoy reading it daily. This is a topic I can help with, so decided to post.

Both Android and iOS have awesome features and hardware, including phones, tablets, and watches; I personally prefer iOS, and have had iPhones, Apple Watches, and iPads for years.

If you want an Apple Watch, YOU MUST have an iPhone. Period. Yes, there are cellular versions of the Apple Watch, but you have to have an iPhone to set up Apple Watch, install updates, sync text messages, email, notifications, etc. There are rumors of a stand-alone-Apple Watch in the future, but there is not one available yet.

It’s always best to get the most updated version of technology possible as it gets outdated so quickly. Go to Apple’s Website (sorry, I’m not allowed to post links), choose iPhone, then compare models. The new iPhone 12 would be an excellent choice, but the iPhone 11 is still a good choice. You’ll also be able to compare pricing.

For the Apple Watch, you are better off to get the Series 6 or Series SE... the Series 3 is getting outdated. If you want all the Health Features, you’ll need the Series 6. If not, the SE is a very good choice. Again, Apple’s Website will allow you to compare features and pricing. Size-wise, most Men get the 44mm version, most Women the 40mm, but plenty of Men with small frames like the 40mm version, and Women with larger wrists or who want a larger Watch Face get the 44mm. Personal preference.

To make the switch from Android, it will be complicated but doable. Both Apple iOS and Android OS have apps to help with that transition. Call Apple (800) 692-7753 to get their advice, or talk to your Cellular Carrier to see if they can help you transfer everything from your Android phone. As previously mentioned, The Villages Apple User Group is an excellent resource. Contact them to see if they can recommend someone to help you make the transition.

Hope this helps. Good luck... let us know how it goes!
Old 11-11-2020, 11:21 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,549 Times in 418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana1963 View Post
It took 20 seconds with internet search. No. While you can use a cellular Apple Watch while using an Android phone, the watch won't pair to the phone, so they won't exchange data.Sep 22, 2020
Since your technology challenged stick with an analog or digital watch.
Wow, that was rude.
And btw, it's "you're".
Old 11-11-2020, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Under normal circumstances, I would be going to a store to learn more, but that always takes forever and I am avoiding long, indoor contact with people I do not know. I am not at all tech savvy — as you will see by the following questions.

Question #1: I now have an Android, but if I get an Apple Watch, will I have to get an iPhone to work with it?

Question #2: If I have to get an iPhone, will everything transfer from my current Android?

Question #3: Which Apple Watch would you suggest? What are the differences?

Question #4: If I have to get an iPhone, which one would you suggest?

Question #5: What could all this cost? Is there a price range?

Thanks.

Boomer
I used to have android phone, then got Apple, then I watch. I do really like the apple products more. The latest I watch, series 6, has the bloodOx reading capability. Lots of chatter about that since Covid. They start at $399. An iPhone will sync with the watch on most all apps. Including text, and phone calls. Worth it. iPhone 11 or now the just released 12 start at $600. Purchasing through your carrier, like Verizon for example, or Best Buy, an authorized Apple retailer, allows 0% financing in your monthly bill. And may have specials, discounts, or Black Friday! Good luck!
Old 11-11-2020, 12:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaBlitz View Post
I love my Apple Watch since it does pair with my iPhone. Can answer my phone with it and read texts. Lots of extra apps on it to track my walking, pulse rate. Newer ones are waterproof to a degree if you’re a swimmer... the older models can be much cheaper.
I am a swimmer, but why would I need an apple watch to make my swim better. I count the laps I swim. 72 is a mile, 90 is a mile and a quarter, and 108 is a mile and a half. What more information do I need while swimming laps??? If the watch could tell me that lightning is about to strike the pool, and I need to get out ASAP, then I will get one.
Closed Thread

Tags
question, apple, iphone, android, watch

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.