Questions about Apple Watches

Closed Thread
Old 11-11-2020, 12:57 PM
Default Apple Questions

I am an all Apple user. You may wish to contact Apple Support to answer your questions. They will certainly know about any compatibility questions. Not sure if they will be able to discuss cost. As far as what model to get, my belief is get the most up to date model you can afford so you have longevity of the product and support. Good luck.
Old 11-11-2020, 01:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
I am a swimmer, but why would I need an apple watch to make my swim better. I count the laps I swim. 72 is a mile, 90 is a mile and a quarter, and 108 is a mile and a half. What more information do I need while swimming laps??? If the watch could tell me that lightning is about to strike the pool, and I need to get out ASAP, then I will get one.
If enough people ask, there will be an app developed for that too.
Old 11-11-2020, 01:26 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
I am a swimmer, but why would I need an apple watch to make my swim better. I count the laps I swim. 72 is a mile, 90 is a mile and a quarter, and 108 is a mile and a half. What more information do I need while swimming laps??? If the watch could tell me that lightning is about to strike the pool, and I need to get out ASAP, then I will get one.
Although my swimming/pool lap triathlon training is a thing of the past I have used the Apple watch to occasionally swim in the pool. I love it I preset the pool distance and it records the number of laps. Beats counting on my fingers or tapping a button my Timex Ironman Triathlon watch to count laps. So far as thunder/lightening when I hear the first boom I get out of the pool, I don't need an app to do that. Oh wait I have a built in app it's called common sense.
Old 11-11-2020, 02:18 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Dear TOTVers,

I regret responding as I did to Dana1963. I did it because I do not respond well when I think I have been treated in a condescending manner. It was not just about me though. I was speaking up against what I see so much of here on TOTV. I should have ignored the comment but I took it on as a “cause” to call attention to the fact that TOTV could use an overall attitude adjustment.

But, in fairness to Dana1963, that response to me might have been just a quick, flippant remark like we all probably have written at some point or another. I have not seen Dana1963 as someone who has established a pattern of such behavior. But there are plenty of others. (I recently edited out a response of my own in a different thread. I decided it was not worth calling out what I saw between the lines there. It felt good to write it, but then I made it disappear.)

I also regret being snarky about grammar. That remark of mine was obnoxious.

And then there is the thing that happened here this morning when my thread — just trying to learn about Apple watches — was turned into a thread for harboring political attacks. . .

To the person who made the remark bashing Dana as the “left” — you would not like me either. I was once of your party but gave it up because this is not the party I once knew and has not been for a while.

What I see now is a display of behavior that has nothing to do with loving America and is showing signs of risking our national security — from both inside and outside enemies. I keep hoping that people will remember their own critical thinking skills, turn off the dysinformation, and finally have an AHA! moment.

I am thinking of asking the moderator to close this thread. I am nobody’s pawn. I started the thread and it was not for those who don’t miss a beat for sneaking in their personal political agenda to pollute any discussion.

Now that I have responded — not only about the general toxicity that permeates TOTV — but also having waded right into my own political views — it has definitely gone political.

Before I leave, I want to say to Dana that I should have ignored what you posted, and that I wish I had cut you some slack. And I am sorry I was obnoxious about your/you’re.

My guess is you know better but you trusted spellcheck. I was an English teacher for 35 years and when computers came along, I tried to pound into my students’ heads — “Spellcheck? Use it but DO NOT trust it!” We would laugh about it because I would do the old “Repeat after me” routine. (I wonder if any of them can still hear me making them do that.)

Well, this is getting really long and beginning to look like a manifesto so I need to wrap it up by saying thank you to all who tried to help me. I will be getting a new phone and an Apple watch.

Sincerely and hopefully,
Boomer (exit stage left)

Last edited by Boomer; 11-11-2020 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 11-11-2020, 02:28 PM

Good questions but I don't have the answers. Here's a site we regularly use to help decide on purchasing $$$ items. Wirecutter: New Product Reviews, Deals, and Buying Advice There's usually a lot to read at this site but worthwhile. I have frequently thought about purchasing a specific item, then read their reviews & realize there are aspects of the purchase I hadn't considered but wirecutter had considered. Hope your research is done in time for an Xmas gift.
Old 02-27-2021, 03:38 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
I'm a former swimmer, and the apple watch will give you times for your splits, etc. If you're just swimming laps and don't time yourself for various distances, and like counting laps, then you probably don't need a watch. I used to do sets of 100 yards on various time intervals for example, so the watch would really come in handy. Or I might swim a 500 at race pace and want to know my splits on each 100. We all have different needs.
Old 03-01-2021, 01:20 AM
Platinum member

I love my Apple watch.
You just have to make sure you hibernate for the night the features that
tell you to breathe and especially to stand up.
Do not want that waking you up at 3 a.m. ☺️

Tags
question, apple, iphone, android, watch

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.