Questions Regarding Bicycle Problem

Closed Thread
Old 07-09-2020, 05:29 PM
Sage
Default Questions Regarding Bicycle Problem

I have a bicycle that has just recently developed a problem. Part of the problem is that it only started happening after a rather expensive tune-up at a local shop. The tune-up and associated parts replacement seem to be working well. The bike shifts better, etc. after the tune-up. The problem is this...

It now has a very distinctive and annoying noise emanating from the rear wheel. The noise is a sort of grinding that occurs once each rotation of the wheel. If I lift the bike off the ground and spin the wheel, there is no noise. If I'm riding it with my full weight normally distributed, it makes the noise. But if I put my weight way forward over the handlebars, the noise stops. I don't have to be sitting on the seat. If I stand on the pedals, the noise is there as long as I don't move my weight way forward.

Here's where it gets really frustrating...Murphy's Law type frustrating. I mounted the bike on my bike rack and drove to the bike shop. I pulled the bike off the rack and rode it a bit before taking it in the shop. You guessed it...no noise. Argh!! I took the bike in the shop and described it to one of the techs. He rode the bike and also no noise. He said he believed me and took a good look at the bike and made some adjustments. Then a little test drive outside the shop and no noise, just like before taking it in the shop. So I load it up and drive home. I unload the bike, get on it to take a quick spin and guess what...it's so obvious...the noise is back again.

So I guess I have two questions. Do any of you bicyclers out there have any idea what might cause the noise I've described? And second...do any of you know if there is a bike shop that makes house calls? I don't want to take the chance of dragging the bike into a shop and having the same thing happen. It it did, I'm afraid I'd just toss the bike into a dumpster and take up skating.

Any input appreciated.
Old 07-09-2020, 05:52 PM

do any of you know if there is a bike shop that makes house calls?

I've not used him but he posts to FB

Bicycle Docter the Villages - Home | Facebook

(352) 492-2864

I know it can be frustrating. My suggestion is to substitute another wheel and see what happens.

Also, you could join Home - Sumter Landing Bicycle Club, show up at a regularly scheduled ride (Barnes and Nobles or Bradenton Rec.), introduce yourself, ask around.

They are really friendly folks, knowledgeable, and always happy to help a fellow cyclist.
Old 07-09-2020, 07:05 PM

Sounds like the bearings, each side of the rear axle has roller bearings which include an inner and outer race.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,129 Times in 2,241 Posts

See if someone has one of the devices to convert the bike to an exercise machine. Mount the bike, get on it and see if it makes the noise. If so have helper look and listen and with any luck they will be able to pinpoint the source of the problem. From what you are describing I am going to guess a clearance problem between the wheel and some part of the frame, fender, or supports.
Hope this helps.
Old 07-10-2020, 03:33 PM
John41

my suggestions
1. check that the front and rear sprockets are aligned
2. check the rear wheel is centered between the forks
3. spin the tire and check for wobble
4. check the tires are centered between the calipers
5. check the correct bearings are around the hub and not too tight
6. check the links in the chain aren’t kinked or there is a stiff link
hope this helps
Old 07-10-2020, 06:44 PM

Almost certainly bearings. I've been working on my own bikes for over 50 years & can nearly guarantee that. Inadequate lube can & will cause 1 or more ball bearings, and possibly the races, to become scored and cause the symptoms you described, especially under load. The surest solution would be to replace both sets of bearings & all 4 races in the rear axle. Even if they are sealed cartridge bearings, it shouldn't be terribly expensive. Can't help with a bike shop that makes house calls though.
Old 07-10-2020, 07:57 PM
Sage

Anybody have any experience with using The Villages Bicycle Doctor? Found on Facebook.
Old 07-10-2020, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Anybody have any experience with using The Villages Bicycle Doctor? Found on Facebook.

Have not used Villages bicycle doctor, but have had good experience with David's World Cycle
739 S Main St
US HWY 301
Wildwood, FL 34785
352-399-2983
Old 07-11-2020, 07:12 AM
Default Bike grinding sound

The noise your hearing is one of three possibilities.

1 Chain to tight

2. Rear shell mount to tight
pinching the bearings

3. The grinding teeth of people who try to get around you on the cart path.

Quote:
I have a bicycle that has just recently developed a problem. Part of the problem is that it only started happening after a rather expensive tune-up at a local shop. The tune-up and associated parts replacement seem to be working well. The bike shifts better, etc. after the tune-up. The problem is this...

It now has a very distinctive and annoying noise emanating from the rear wheel. The noise is a sort of grinding that occurs once each rotation of the wheel. If I lift the bike off the ground and spin the wheel, there is no noise. If I'm riding it with my full weight normally distributed, it makes the noise. But if I put my weight way forward over the handlebars, the noise stops. I don't have to be sitting on the seat. If I stand on the pedals, the noise is there as long as I don't move my weight way forward.

Here's where it gets really frustrating...Murphy's Law type frustrating. I mounted the bike on my bike rack and drove to the bike shop. I pulled the bike off the rack and rode it a bit before taking it in the shop. You guessed it...no noise. Argh!! I took the bike in the shop and described it to one of the techs. He rode the bike and also no noise. He said he believed me and took a good look at the bike and made some adjustments. Then a little test drive outside the shop and no noise, just like before taking it in the shop. So I load it up and drive home. I unload the bike, get on it to take a quick spin and guess what...it's so obvious...the noise is back again.

So I guess I have two questions. Do any of you bicyclers out there have any idea what might cause the noise I've described? And second...do any of you know if there is a bike shop that makes house calls? I don't want to take the chance of dragging the bike into a shop and having the same thing happen. It it did, I'm afraid I'd just toss the bike into a dumpster and take up skating.

Any input appreciated.
Old 07-11-2020, 08:10 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndomines View Post
The noise your hearing is one of three possibilities.

3. The grinding teeth of people who try to get around you on the cart path.
Speak for yourself.
Old 07-27-2020, 03:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Just wear ear plugs!
Old 07-27-2020, 06:32 PM
Sage

The Bicycle Doctor fixed it. Just tightened a couple of spokes and charged me...zip, zilch, nada.
Old 08-31-2020, 06:56 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

Any input appreciated.
If I had paid for a tune up I would take it back to the shop. Pretty simple.
Old 08-31-2020, 07:26 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeForChange View Post
If I had paid for a tune up I would take it back to the shop. Pretty simple.
Bike has been fixed, but I’m not sure you read the entire post.
Closed Thread

Tags
bike, noise, shop, problem, weight

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.