R I P Danny Kirwin

Closed Thread
Old 06-10-2018, 09:40 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts
Default R I P Danny Kirwin

of Fleetwood Mac. Sadly, he had some serious drug and mental health issues.

From Wikipedia:

Fired from Fleetwood Mac[edit]
Kirwan shouldered much of the songwriting responsibility during this troubled and uncertain period for the band, through the changes in both the line-up and in musical style. The pressure showed in his health and he suffered problems with alcoholism; stories abound of Kirwan not eating for several days at a time, subsisting largely on beer. He gradually became estranged from the other band members,[9] and things came to a head during the autumn of 1972. Before a concert on that year's US tour, Kirwan and Welch rowed over tuning and Kirwan flew into a rage, banging his head and fists against the wall, and then smashed his Gibson Les Paul guitar and refused to go onstage. Instead he watched while the rest of the band struggled through without him, and offered unwelcome criticism afterwards.[13] Kirwan was sacked by Fleetwood, who had hitherto been the only other member still speaking to him. Fleetwood later said: "It was a torment for him, really, to be up there, and it reduced him to someone who you just looked at and thought 'My God'. It was more a thing of, although he was asked to leave, the way I was looking at it was, I hoped, it was almost putting him out of his agony."[9] He later commented, "I don't think he's ever forgiven me really."[14]

Kirwan's reaction was initially one of surprise, and it seemed he had little idea of how alienated from the other band members he had become,[9] but shortly afterwards he met up with his replacement Bob Weston. Weston described the meeting: "He was aware that I was taking over, and rather sarcastically wished me the best of luck – then paused and added, 'You're gonna need it.'

During the late 1970s Kirwan's mental health deteriorated significantly and since then he played no further part in the music industry. During the 1980s and 1990s, he endured a period of homelessness living in London.[citation needed]

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 06-11-2018, 07:25 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,774 Times in 3,642 Posts

Peace.
Closed Thread

Tags
kirwan, fleetwood, band, health, weston

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.