R.I.P. Kobe

Closed Thread
Old 01-27-2020, 12:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Crash Victims Identified (Click Here)

Quote:
Nine people, including Kobe Bryant and his 13-year-old daughter, were killed when the basketball legend’s helicopter crashed into a hillside outside Los Angeles on Sunday.

Officials on Monday were still working to determine what caused the fatal crash. The Sikorsky S-76 aircraft went down in foggy conditions that prompted local police agencies to ground their helicopters around the same time.

Bryant’s private pilot Ara Zobayan was flying the helicopter when it crashed, reported multiple outlets.

He was an instrument-rated pilot and was qualified to fly in fog, reported Fox 5 San Diego.

Old 01-27-2020, 01:31 PM
Default RIP Kobe

My friend Tony sent this letter to a local newspaper asking their readers if Kobe made any impact to their community. Here's the letter Tony sent...

This is how this person make an attempt to have Kobe as part of my community.

In 2015 or 2016, a letter was written in care of the team he was playing for stating that this person enjoyed his work, and if we wished to share some words on behalf of a person I knew at the time where this person was undergoing some dilemmas, many of these situations were not of its making. This letter then stated that if a reply can be sent within the next month or so, it would be appreciated.

A reply was never received. And since that he is now dead, a reply to this request is very unlikely.

Thank you.

What do you think...?
Old 01-27-2020, 01:59 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlifOlif View Post
My friend Tony sent this letter to a local newspaper asking their readers if Kobe made any impact to their community. Here's the letter Tony sent...

In 2015 or 2016, a letter was written in care of the team he was playing for stating that this person enjoyed his work, and if we wished to share some words on behalf of a person I knew at the time where this person was undergoing some dilemmas, many of these situations were not of its making. This letter then stated that if a reply can be sent within the next month or so, it would be appreciated.

A reply was never received. And since that he is now dead, a reply to this request is very unlikely.

Thank you.

What do you think...?

I think your post is thoughtless, pointless, and mean-spirited.
Old 01-27-2020, 02:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
Mean spirited is an understatement...to simply attack another human being on a personal level without credence is the low of the low.....nothing lower to me.

Read below of SOME of his works to help others....ALL are legitimate and not a scam among them. HE made a difference,

How to honor Kobe Bryant's legacy through the charities he supported - CNN
Old 01-27-2020, 02:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
Mean spirited is an understatement...to simply attack another human being on a personal level without credence is the low of the low.....nothing lower to me.

Read below of SOME of his works to help others....ALL are legitimate and not a scam among them. HE made a difference,

How to honor Kobe Bryant's legacy through the charities he supported - CNN

Ditto!

Old 01-27-2020, 02:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,398 Times in 2,256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stadry View Post
its a sad day for his family but, remembering ted kennedy as he eulogized bobby, 'my brother need not be idealized, or enlarged in death beyond what he was in life, no one is larger in death than in life.' compare w/ Report: Wife caught Kobe cheating | FOX Sports
hopefully bryant turned his life to the brighter side of the street
i understand he was a gifted b-ball player but we never knew the man - only his accomplishments on a tv screen
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlifOlif View Post

Thank you.

What do you think...?
Where are these trolls coming from? If you didn't like the guy that's fine. But why the need to try to tear him down after he was just killed in a tragic accident? Are your lives really that devoid of sympathy or joy?

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 01-27-2020, 03:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Tragic things like this makes one want to live every day to its fullest, cause you never know what's gonna happen tomorrow.
Live every day to it's fullest, because you never know what is going to happen tomorrow.

Rest in peace, Kobe.
Old 01-27-2020, 04:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

If you're interested, here are the tapes to Kobe's flight which include the radar of just his flight and audio with ATC. They were N72EX a Sirkorsky S76B helicopter. They departed Santa Ana (John Wayne Airport) and were following the 101 and was getting flight following service from Burbank Tower and then Van Nuys Tower. Normal VFR (Visual Flight Rules) is 3 miles visibility and 500' feet below clouds, this helicopter was operating under special VFR, which meant he only needed to be clear of clouds and 1 miles visibility. I believe they gave him a restriction to maintain at or below 2500 because of airport traffic and I think he crashed at 2400'. It looks more and more like weather was the cause and a pilot encountering IFR (Instrument Flight Rules) conditions.

Helicopter Sikorsky crashes north of Los Angeles | Extreme Weather - YouTube

The Villages Florida

Last edited by John_W; 01-27-2020 at 09:16 PM.
Old 01-28-2020, 12:56 PM
Platinum member

If this short video of Kobe playing Moonlight Sonata on the piano doesn't bring you to tears, nothing will.

Watch Kobe Bryant Perform Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata" | The Breakfast Club
Old 01-30-2020, 06:41 AM
Sage

Not that I actively disliked him, I just admit to never having been...a die-hard Kobe fan.

However, after reading of his almost unworldly drive to excel and the effort he put into everything he did, every single day...I have a huge new appreciation for the man.

His dedication to helping others and trying to be the best father he could...is something that every parent could learn from.
Old 01-30-2020, 07:05 AM
Location: atl (marietta) - 1/20 bought on killington loop then covoid hit - looking again

from your mouth to God's ear,,, sincerely hope you're right
btw, 'been reported copter lacked cockpit voice recorder, black box, or collision warning system,,, odd considering basic $ + operating $
only know what's been reported
Old 01-30-2020, 07:40 AM
Veteran member

Kobe was great! Unfortunately there were, I think, 9 people killed in the crash. They were probable great also. RIP
Old 01-30-2020, 11:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stadry View Post
...been reported copter lacked cockpit voice recorder, black box, or collision warning system,,, odd considering basic $ + operating $
only know what's been reported
Cockpit voice recorder is important when there are two pilots who are discussing their actions and what goes into their decision making. This flight was a single pilot, don't see how anything would be picked up. Especially since aboard a helicopter most communications are done by intercom because of the noise.

Collision Avoidance Systems (TCAS) helps pilot avoid mid-air collisions with other aircraft by receiving other aircraft transponder information in close proximity. It's not for avoiding the ground.

Black Box would be important if there was mechanical failure as the cause, which it doesn't appear to be. The one item that might of helped would of been a Terrain Warning Sytem. By using GPS it can plot an aircraft location and then also bounces a radar signal off the ground and can tell if an aircraft is on a potential course to hit the ground by giving a 10 second warning, cost would of been about $40,000.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.