A Radio Station has stopped playing "Baby It's Cold Outside" because of "Me too" .

Closed Thread
Old 12-01-2018, 07:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default A Radio Station has stopped playing "Baby It's Cold Outside" because of "Me too" .

youtube. baby it's cold outside - Bing video

Dean Martin Martina McBride Duet - Bing
video

Dean Martin Martina McBride Duet - Bing video

I have always loved this song, thinking it romantic and the interchange between two people who were attracted to each other.

What say you?

Last edited by graciegirl; 12-01-2018 at 07:31 AM.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,351 Times in 2,390 Posts

What station? Where? Why, little more info.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
What station? Where? Why, little more info.
Reported by USA Today;

'Baby It's Cold Outside' cut from Cleveland radio station after #MeToo
Old 12-01-2018, 08:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

"Baby It's Cold Outside" lyrics in #MeToo era: Cleveland radio station Star 102 stops playing popular Christmas song after listeners voice concerns about meaning in the "Me Too" era - CBS News

I can see their point of view. I mean of people in the Me Too movement.

How would I explain those lyrics to my twenty something and younger grand niece and nieces?

Think the conversation about this is more important though than just pulling the song because it has questionable lyrics written in the 1940s which did not have any such connotations back then.

I would rather have the dialog going than just silence it.
Old 12-01-2018, 09:16 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,592 Times in 1,758 Posts

PC run wild, again!

They are after Rudolph and Santa as well

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 12-01-2018, 09:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

One local radio station in Cleveland. But I've heard the grumbling elsewhere. C'mon, it's a tongue in cheek winter tune classic. Listen while reading the lyrics....

Baby it's Cold Outside lyrics - YouTube

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Old 12-01-2018, 09:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,299 Times in 820 Posts

Two sides to every coin. Who is really calling the attention in this situation - the radio station (media) or MeToo movement ?

Tim McGraw - Back When. W/ Lyrics - YouTube
Old 12-01-2018, 09:32 AM
Sage

Idina Menzel & Michael Buble - Baby It's Cold Outside - YouTube

Here is an more up-to-date version.
Old 12-01-2018, 09:38 AM
fw102807

So "Baby it's Cold Outside" needs to be banned but RAP music with obscene lyrics that promote crime are fine?
Old 12-01-2018, 09:47 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
So "Baby it's Cold Outside" needs to be banned but RAP music with obscene lyrics that promote crime are fine?
That is a good point. This is one radio station that pulled it.

I do think it needs to me discussed about why some women would be offended by these lyrics.

RAP music is often about the experiences of inner city minorities and their dealing with the police and the like.

Cannot say I can relate to their experiences but do value their First Amendment rights to have the government not quiet their free speech.

I did live one summer in a neighborhood in downtown Minneapolis where they had drug deals in the park across the street and I would hear gun shots every so often from that park. I kept off the street after 7:00 PM if not earlier. Most of the people who lived there were African American or Lakota who had left their reservation.

RAP music often appeals to the people who live in these tough neighborhoods.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 12-01-2018 at 10:16 AM.
Old 12-01-2018, 09:50 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,592 Times in 1,758 Posts

Quote:
BINGO!!!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 12-01-2018, 09:53 AM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
That is a good point. This is one radio station that pulled it.

I do think it needs to me discussed about why some women would be offended by these lyrics.

RAP music is often about the experiences of inner city minorities and their dealing with the police and the like.

Cannot say I can relate to their experiences but do value their First Amendment rights to have the government not quiet their free speech.

I did live one summer in a neighborhood in downtown Minneapolis where they had drug deals in the park across the street and I would hear gun shots every soon often from that park. I kept off the street after 7:00 PM if not earlier.
So the first amendment only applies to some and only certain people have a right to be offended?
Old 12-01-2018, 09:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
So the first amendment only applies to some and only certain people have a right to be offended?
A private radio station can pull any song their management or owners want. Some of these private radio stations cater to people who can relate to RAP music.

The First Amendment does not apply to private individuals or corporations banning speech. It is the government banning speech which is the subject of the First Amendment.

I do not remember ever hearing a RAP song on a Villages' radio station, for instance. There would not be much of a demand for one. Now RAP probably plays a lot in certain sections of NYC, Chicago, Los Angeles, Milwaukee, etc.
Old 12-01-2018, 09:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,299 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
One local radio station in Cleveland. But I've heard the grumbling elsewhere. C'mon, it's a tongue in cheek winter tune classic. Listen while reading the lyrics....

Baby it's Cold Outside lyrics - YouTube

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Thanks for posting. I have always liked this song. My interpretation studying this video is the girl wants to stay but is worried about what others may say. Likewise the man is saying I would like you to stay. I did not interpret any arm twisting, violence, etc. In fact I think it's rather romantic song between two adults. Am I missing something ?

Why on this earth would the MeeToo movement pick this song when there are countless other tasteless songs to latch on to. RAP has it's dark side in this arena. But actually the first song that came to my mind as over the line when reading this is a Rod Stewart song Tonight's The Night.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:09 AM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
A private radio station can pull any song their management or owners want. Some of these private radio stations cater to people who can relate to RAP music.

The First Amendment does not apply to private individuals or corporations banning speech. It is the government banning speech which is the subject of the First Amendment.

I do not remember ever hearing a RAP song on a Villages' radio station, for instance. There would not be much of a demand for one. Now RAP probably plays a lot in certain sections of NYC, Chicago, Los Angeles, Milwaukee, etc.
Regardless, the point is that taking a movement like The Me Too Movement, which I think is very valuable, to this extreme is just ridiculous and takes away from the importance of the message.
Closed Thread

Tags
cold, station, radio, stopped, baby

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.