A Radio Station has stopped playing "Baby It's Cold Outside" because of "Me too" .

Closed Thread
Old 12-01-2018, 10:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,317 Times in 2,054 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
Regardless, the point is that taking a movement like The Me Too Movement, which I think is very valuable, to this extreme is just ridiculous and takes away from the importance of the message.
There are always petty people in every movement, unfortunately, who cannot seem to see the forest from the trees.

It would more important to hear the song and get while some people are upset with it rather than just banning it.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

My opinion...total over reaction to nothing.

This stuff happens...is it stupid...yeah, but I am old enough to recall the condemnation of my generation because Elvis twisted his hips.

With our world, why these stories are made into something of note, and made to be a victim of "political correctness"

Saw a tv station cover this story, complete with guests, as part of an hourlong show.

As they say on ESPN at times......"come on man".

If this offends you. Then you are not paying attention.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:56 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

IMHO, taking a cause to this extreme tends to marginalize your movement. It gives people who are generally opposed to your ideals the opportunity to openly, and fairly criticize you, and thus mock your intentions. Stick to what is really important and justifiably immoral and let trivial stuff like this pass.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:59 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,310 Times in 544 Posts
Default I like

Quote:
So "Baby it's Cold Outside" needs to be banned but RAP music with obscene lyrics that promote crime are fine?
I like your thinking...
Old 12-01-2018, 11:04 AM
Sage

ONE....ONE radio station does this and you are speaking of movements ?

Does anyone hear the real news. ?

No over reaction here.
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Red Skelton's take from 1949.......

Baby It's Cold Outside - Betty Garrett and Red Skelton (from "Neptune's Daughter") - YouTube

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Sage
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
IMHO, taking a cause to this extreme tends to marginalize your movement. It gives people who are generally opposed to your ideals the opportunity to openly, and fairly criticize you, and thus mock your intentions. Stick to what is really important and justifiably immoral and let trivial stuff like this pass.
Nicely stated.
Old 12-01-2018, 11:09 AM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
My opinion...total over reaction to nothing.

This stuff happens...is it stupid...yeah, but I am old enough to recall the condemnation of my generation because Elvis twisted his hips.

With our world, why these stories are made into something of note, and made to be a victim of "political correctness"

Saw a tv station cover this story, complete with guests, as part of an hourlong show.

As they say on ESPN at times......"come on man".

If this offends you. Then you are not paying attention.
But where does it end? They took down all of the confederate monuments, renamed anything that related to the Native Americans and now they are taking issue with Rudolph and Christmas Carols. Is this really helping people to get along better or furthering the discord?
Old 12-01-2018, 11:12 AM
Sage

Quote:
But where does it end? They took down all of the confederate monuments, renamed anything that related to the Native Americans and now they are taking issue with Rudolph and Christmas Carols. Is this really helping people to get along better or furthering the discord?
Just some people with NOTHING better to do.
Old 12-01-2018, 11:14 AM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Just some people with NOTHING better to do.
You are cross threading Tal but NOTHING but correct
Old 12-01-2018, 11:16 AM
Sage

Quote:
This is ONE SINGLE RADIO STATION...ONE and one only because they got calls.

Do you sincerely call that a movement ?

I do not know who "they" is you refer to, but rest assured, I am aware the world has changed, and I intend to live my life to the fullest, as alway with never giving into dishonesty and hate.

That's me...if this stuff bothers you and our rhetoric in our country does not, then you and I are totally different people.
Old 12-01-2018, 11:19 AM
Sage

Quote:
You are cross threading Tal but NOTHING but correct
That I was cross threading but have not brought up the lobster just yet. Oops. NOTHING but funny.

It is only one radio station though.
Old 12-01-2018, 11:33 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:

You are right Bucco, one station is not a movement, however it got picked up by the national press and that makes it a symbol of the "movement". It therefore becomes symbolic of the aims of the movement and gives critics of the movement an opportunity to justifiably mock the movement itself. I support the MeToo movement to the extent it demands that people be aware of sexual misconduct and exposes legitimate cases of that misconduct. My point is that trivial things like this get publicity and give fuel to people who would be inclined to mock the movement.
Old 12-01-2018, 11:33 AM
fw102807

Quote:

I do not know who "they" is you refer to, but rest assured, I am aware the world has changed, and I intend to live my life to the fullest, as alway with never giving into dishonesty and hate.

That's me...if this stuff bothers you and our rhetoric in our country does not, then you and I are totally different people.
It totally bothers me. I just think that taking down statues and renaming things and banning songs is hurting more than helping. It just makes people angry. The problem is people and the solution needs to be people.
Old 12-01-2018, 11:44 AM
Sage

Quote:
It totally bothers me. I just think that taking down statues and renaming things and banning songs is hurting more than helping. It just makes people angry. The problem is people and the solution needs to be people.
Things bother me as well. Personal preferences do not...it is a free country.

Can't go much further...I get offended when lied to...THAT bothers me. I get offended when people are hurt, especially when it's done with intent to hurt, whether verbally or not, because I believe words matter. I hate being misled....I hate when people are labeled...

Those are some things that bother me, more than a small group of people calling a radio station and one station playing along. Only a minority make these "side issues" to be news. As I said, more shocking to me was a network giving so much time to ONE radio station decision.

We seem to be narrow in our scope of things, while ignoring what really counts.

I know I am in the minority, but what I learned when young, had solidified as I matured, those moral attributes remain more important to me.

You are correct that PEOPLE are the answer....People can either reinforce bad action by remaining silent and accepting ,or they can speak up. BUT, priorities are important
Closed Thread

Tags
cold, station, radio, stopped, baby

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.