A Radio Station has stopped playing "Baby It's Cold Outside" because of "Me too" .

Closed Thread
Old 12-01-2018, 11:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
You are right Bucco, one station is not a movement, however it got picked up by the national press and that makes it a symbol of the "movement". It therefore becomes symbolic of the aims of the movement and gives critics of the movement an opportunity to justifiably mock the movement itself. I support the MeToo movement to the extent it demands that people be aware of sexual misconduct and exposes legitimate cases of that misconduct. My point is that trivial things like this get publicity and give fuel to people who would be inclined to mock the movement.
Very well said.
Old 12-01-2018, 11:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
You are right Bucco, one station is not a movement, however it got picked up by the national press and that makes it a symbol of the "movement". It therefore becomes symbolic of the aims of the movement and gives critics of the movement an opportunity to justifiably mock the movement itself. I support the MeToo movement to the extent it demands that people be aware of sexual misconduct and exposes legitimate cases of that misconduct. My point is that trivial things like this get publicity and give fuel to people who would be inclined to mock the movement.
Yet, here we are...a thread started and over 30 responses. A network devoted over half of their prime time, and those who chose not to deem it important labeled as phoneys
Old 12-01-2018, 12:01 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post

We seem to be narrow in our scope of things, while ignoring what really counts.
This is exactly the point I was trying to make. If you want to change things start trying to help those in need and spread kindness. People need to change for the culture to change.
Old 12-01-2018, 12:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
This is exactly the point I was trying to make. If you want to change things start trying to help those in need and spread kindness. People need to change for the culture to change.
Then we agree.

Seems a lot of attention to a single radio station on here and on selected networks, yet we ignore, tolerate, and actually endorse hate daily, and are called out if we object.
Old 12-01-2018, 12:44 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,572 Times in 1,748 Posts

I hope they don't next stop playing 'Frosty the Snowman'! WALSH: The Racist, Sexist, And Transphobic Undertones Of 'Frosty The Snowman' | Daily Wire

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 12-01-2018, 12:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
I am betting every extreme right or left website is discussing this crap rather than....

Fw102807 said we need kindness, yet we populate these extreme sites that print and publish hate on the right and left, and as this thread and other manifestations show....."we" seem to want that type of rhetoric, while ignoring the factual, and in fact mocking those who attempt to be factual.
Old 12-01-2018, 12:56 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post

Like putting a band aid on your knee when you scraped your elbow...
Old 12-01-2018, 12:58 PM

I do not understand why we do not try to explain and understand the meaning of words and expressions based on the time they were used. Isn’t it important to see historical perspective and the context of the times? Then it would be clear that meaning now may be different and treated differently and that is fine. But revisionist history does not lead to understanding of historical events, language or context.
Old 12-01-2018, 01:02 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblwyr View Post
I do not understand why we do not try to explain and understand the meaning of words and expressions based on the time they were used. Isn’t it important to see historical perspective and the context of the times? Then it would be clear that meaning now may be different and treated differently and that is fine. But revisionist history does not lead to understanding of historical events, language or context.
Because that would make too much sense and the media couldn't create a frenzy over it.
Old 12-01-2018, 01:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblwyr View Post
I always suggest to people to look at the source of this kind of stuff.....NOT the source of the original complaint, etc., but WHO decided to make this a big story, when it is nothing but a nothing blip.

Does anyone think that the stupid interpretation of this song is new ? Or is acting insulted by it simply a ploy to attack somebody else. Always look at sources...extremists now seem to be what people long for, and this is the result of listening to those extremists.

That is my opinion, and I realize how much I am in the minority, on this forum anyway, but until we talk reasonably and honestly, this crap, and it is crap will simply grow, much like a cancer it is.
Old 12-01-2018, 01:13 PM
Platinum member

well, I just reviewed the lyrics and listened to some versions by various singers...and I got to say it's a bit creepy. basically, a man trying to convince a woman to do something she's saying she shouldn't do....well, if an individual station chooses to not play that's their right...
Old 12-01-2018, 01:14 PM
fw102807

Quote:
I always suggest to people to look at the source of this kind of stuff.....NOT the source of the original complaint, etc., but WHO decided to make this a big story, when it is nothing but a nothing blip.

Does anyone think that the stupid interpretation of this song is new ? Or is acting insulted by it simply a ploy to attack somebody else. Always look at sources...extremists now seem to be what people long for, and this is the result of listening to those extremists.

That is my opinion, and I realize how much I am in the minority, on this forum anyway, but until we talk reasonably and honestly, this crap, and it is crap will simply grow, much like a cancer it is.
My interpretation of this post is suggesting meaningful discussion of history and events, why they happened and why they were wrong, rather than just trying to eliminate them which to me is exactly what needs to happen.
Old 12-01-2018, 01:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
Because that would make too much sense and the media couldn't create a frenzy over it.
You blame THE MEDIA. I saw an entire network "bow" to this story and similar. I saw NOTHING anywhere else, except for it being printed as a daily item in a few papers, a story like others that should simply disappear quickly. And of course on this forum and extremist sites.

We have been so convinced that mainstream media is untruthful, we simply say that. It IS NOT true, in any way shape or form, and as long as the "people" keep being swayed that way and search for whatever "news" attacks who they think should be attacks, we will forever be trying to "revise" history.
Old 12-01-2018, 01:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:

I know I am in the minority, but what I learned when young, had solidified as I matured, those moral attributes remain more important to me.
I beg to differ. You are not in the minority, there are hundreds and thousands of us out there who think like you - we are the silent majority, unfortunately at this moment in time we are being ignored, but this will change. The pendulum swings in both directions and it is beginning to swing away from the hatefulness of this present time.

I was raised to do the decent thing, whatever the situation. It is ingrained into me to do so. My two sons were raised the same way, and their children are being raised in the same manner ............... and so it goes on.

In the case of "politically correct" movements I am of the opinion that the leaders of these movements are filled with fire and brimstone to change what they see as a wrong. I am a female who has lived through this period and have been able to negotiate it without being too scarred in the process. When things quieten down it all seems to be a bit of a storm in a teacup and is forgotten almost over night.

C'est la vie .............. and in the words of the immortal Dr. Martin Luther King "We Will Overcome".

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 12-01-2018, 02:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
ONE....ONE radio station does this and you are speaking of movements ?

Does anyone hear the real news. ?

No over reaction here.
Exactly!
Closed Thread

Tags
cold, station, radio, stopped, baby

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.