Closed Thread
Old 10-07-2020, 06:33 AM

Totally agree with you God Bless him and his family!!🙏🙏🙏🇺🇸🇺🇸 🇺🇸🇺🇸
Old 10-07-2020, 06:55 AM

Thank you for sharing this mans story
He will be remembered By many now that you had told us his story
A great American he was unlike in these times
Old 10-07-2020, 07:01 AM

justjim, The Vietnam War was NOT a conflict.. Im sure you wouldn't say it was that to a Veteran who had boots on the ground and did what was asked to survive..Namvet 1968
Old 10-07-2020, 07:02 AM

I'm sorry for your loss.
Old 10-07-2020, 07:26 AM
Platinum member

so sorry for your loss and glad you have told us about him. I get angry when I see some of our Heroes that do nothing more than play a sport. I want to scream at the world about my brother who died covering grenade to save others.
Old 10-07-2020, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
I just received word an old army buddy and long time friend just died. We have known each other since 1967 when we were stationed together in Germany. His wife and mine were friends before they married us.
Bill served in the Army for 20 years and was a Viet Nam veteran who was awarded the Silver Star for bravery during his first tour of duty there. He suffered from PTSD and Agent Orange poisoning which caused extreme mental and medical problems for him. He and his wife had three children, two sons and a daughter that have done well in their lives. Both sons were in the military, the oldest a Navy Seal and the other a soldier in the Army military intelligence where they served honorably. Their daughter married an Army Ranger who also served honorably. All the sibling's children have either completed college or are working on their degrees.

Bill related a few stories to me about his time in Viet Nam with one incident that preyed on his conscience ever since. His unit was sweeping through a village in what intelligence declared a "free fire zone", meaning there were not supposed to be any friendlies there. If someone was there, they were Viet Cong. He was young and scared spitless. As they were sweeping the village he heard a noise to his right rear and reacted by turning and firing at the silhouette of a man he saw. Unfortunately it was an old man was carrying in his arms a small girl about 7 years old. He killed both of them, not a Viet Cong. So much for there being no friendlies in the area.

The Agent Orange poisoning caused severe medical conditions that made his life difficult and eventually killing him but he pushed on with his life not giving in to despair or whining constantly about his condition. He wasn't a saint and not the Devil but was a good father, good husband for 51 years, and a good friend.

I'm not looking for sympathy. I'm expressing my anger because his death won't be known beyond his family and those who read obituaries in their local newspaper. A man who gave more for this country than any celebrity or politician. Yet whose deaths receive nation and international attention? Hollywood celebrities, politicians and felons.
I’m so sorry to hear about your friend. Thank you sir for sharing this. You guys are the true American heroes not sports and not Hollywood.
Old 10-07-2020, 07:29 AM

Sorry for the loss of a real hero. I know what you’re going through as my best friend from my unit in Nam is becoming a short timer due to the effects of Agent Orange. He’s getting great care from the VA as I am too as in the past couple of years the VA has improved 100% with the new Choice Program. Glad he shared a bit of the ugly with you as that’s therapeutic for PTSD and showed that he trusted you more that you can ever know. Most of us share the good with our friends, while keeping the bad and the ugly to only fellow vets and ourselves. He must have loved you as a brother, so cherish his memories for the rest of your days as he and others like him have contributed to what true Americans stand for, the freedom to become a productive member of this great nation by giving back. Slow salute.
Old 10-07-2020, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
I just received word an old army buddy and long time friend just died. We have known each other since 1967 when we were stationed together in Germany. His wife and mine were friends before they married us.
Bill served in the Army for 20 years and was a Viet Nam veteran who was awarded the Silver Star for bravery during his first tour of duty there. He suffered from PTSD and Agent Orange poisoning which caused extreme mental and medical problems for him. He and his wife had three children, two sons and a daughter that have done well in their lives. Both sons were in the military, the oldest a Navy Seal and the other a soldier in the Army military intelligence where they served honorably. Their daughter married an Army Ranger who also served honorably. All the sibling's children have either completed college or are working on their degrees.

Bill related a few stories to me about his time in Viet Nam with one incident that preyed on his conscience ever since. His unit was sweeping through a village in what intelligence declared a "free fire zone", meaning there were not supposed to be any friendlies there. If someone was there, they were Viet Cong. He was young and scared spitless. As they were sweeping the village he heard a noise to his right rear and reacted by turning and firing at the silhouette of a man he saw. Unfortunately it was an old man was carrying in his arms a small girl about 7 years old. He killed both of them, not a Viet Cong. So much for there being no friendlies in the area.

The Agent Orange poisoning caused severe medical conditions that made his life difficult and eventually killing him but he pushed on with his life not giving in to despair or whining constantly about his condition. He wasn't a saint and not the Devil but was a good father, good husband for 51 years, and a good friend.

I'm not looking for sympathy. I'm expressing my anger because his death won't be known beyond his family and those who read obituaries in their local newspaper. A man who gave more for this country than any celebrity or politician. Yet whose deaths receive nation and international attention? Hollywood celebrities, politicians and felons.
Thank you for sharing! We will truly never know what that would be like.
Old 10-07-2020, 07:42 AM

I’m sorry for your loss. Pray that we never have to fight again. And despite what some say, your friend was neither a sucker or a loser.
Old 10-07-2020, 07:45 AM

Thank you for this wonderful post and for your service. May your friend rest in peace. May you and his family find comfort in the memories you keep and share. And may God bless America.
Old 10-07-2020, 07:52 AM

Sorry for yours and the countrys loss.
Old 10-07-2020, 07:56 AM

What a wonderful tribute to your friend. May he RIP. Friendships like that in a lifetime are so hard to come by.
Old 10-07-2020, 08:00 AM

Your friend will not be forgotten, you are here and his family will treasure his memory. I am sorry for the loss of your lifelong friend.
Veterans are at the top of the list for the term "hero". Anyone else comes in second.
Old 10-07-2020, 08:08 AM

Salute
Old 10-07-2020, 08:15 AM

Rest In Peace, Brother. God Bless
Closed Thread

Tags
viet, army, years, served, good

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.