A real hero just died and I'm angry.

Closed Thread
Old 10-07-2020, 10:33 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRM0614 View Post
There are no entertainment heros. Just actors and actresses who get paid lots of money and tax write offs for every little single thing. The word hero is used for everything
I know what you mean, and I don't consider them heroes either. The OP's friend is an example of a true hero.

But if you don't think some people do see sports and entertainment stars as heroes, I'm afraid you're deluding yourself.
Old 10-07-2020, 11:12 AM
Platinum member
Default Therapy fee

R. I. P. He is with his creator. Rest easy
Old 10-07-2020, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
I just received word an old army buddy and long time friend just died. We have known each other since 1967 when we were stationed together in Germany. His wife and mine were friends before they married us.
Bill served in the Army for 20 years and was a Viet Nam veteran who was awarded the Silver Star for bravery during his first tour of duty there. He suffered from PTSD and Agent Orange poisoning which caused extreme mental and medical problems for him. He and his wife had three children, two sons and a daughter that have done well in their lives. Both sons were in the military, the oldest a Navy Seal and the other a soldier in the Army military intelligence where they served honorably. Their daughter married an Army Ranger who also served honorably. All the sibling's children have either completed college or are working on their degrees.

Bill related a few stories to me about his time in Viet Nam with one incident that preyed on his conscience ever since. His unit was sweeping through a village in what intelligence declared a "free fire zone", meaning there were not supposed to be any friendlies there. If someone was there, they were Viet Cong. He was young and scared spitless. As they were sweeping the village he heard a noise to his right rear and reacted by turning and firing at the silhouette of a man he saw. Unfortunately it was an old man was carrying in his arms a small girl about 7 years old. He killed both of them, not a Viet Cong. So much for there being no friendlies in the area.

The Agent Orange poisoning caused severe medical conditions that made his life difficult and eventually killing him but he pushed on with his life not giving in to despair or whining constantly about his condition. He wasn't a saint and not the Devil but was a good father, good husband for 51 years, and a good friend.

I'm not looking for sympathy. I'm expressing my anger because his death won't be known beyond his family and those who read obituaries in their local newspaper. A man who gave more for this country than any celebrity or politician. Yet whose deaths receive nation and international attention? Hollywood celebrities, politicians and felons.
A sad story indeed. Thanks for sharing. FYI a program allowing caregiver reimbursement for family members was just extended to Vietnam, Korea a d WW II vets family members.
Old 10-07-2020, 12:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

Sorry to learn of your friend's passing and of the challenges that he had to live with after having served his country...may he RIP
Old 10-07-2020, 01:19 PM
Location: Wisconsin, California, military, California, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, (Ugh!) and, FINALLY, TV
Default Vietnam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJohnson View Post
I served in Vietnam during 1967 and retired from the U.S.Army after 22 years. Rest easy Bill, and know that many of us are fully aware of those that sacrificed and those that failed to serve.
And welcome home.
Old 10-07-2020, 02:20 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
I just received word an old army buddy and long time friend just died. We have known each other since 1967 when we were stationed together in Germany. His wife and mine were friends before they married us.
Bill served in the Army for 20 years and was a Viet Nam veteran who was awarded the Silver Star for bravery during his first tour of duty there. He suffered from PTSD and Agent Orange poisoning which caused extreme mental and medical problems for him. He and his wife had three children, two sons and a daughter that have done well in their lives. Both sons were in the military, the oldest a Navy Seal and the other a soldier in the Army military intelligence where they served honorably. Their daughter married an Army Ranger who also served honorably. All the sibling's children have either completed college or are working on their degrees.

Bill related a few stories to me about his time in Viet Nam with one incident that preyed on his conscience ever since. His unit was sweeping through a village in what intelligence declared a "free fire zone", meaning there were not supposed to be any friendlies there. If someone was there, they were Viet Cong. He was young and scared spitless. As they were sweeping the village he heard a noise to his right rear and reacted by turning and firing at the silhouette of a man he saw. Unfortunately it was an old man was carrying in his arms a small girl about 7 years old. He killed both of them, not a Viet Cong. So much for there being no friendlies in the area.

The Agent Orange poisoning caused severe medical conditions that made his life difficult and eventually killing him but he pushed on with his life not giving in to despair or whining constantly about his condition. He wasn't a saint and not the Devil but was a good father, good husband for 51 years, and a good friend.

I'm not looking for sympathy. I'm expressing my anger because his death won't be known beyond his family and those who read obituaries in their local newspaper. A man who gave more for this country than any celebrity or politician. Yet whose deaths receive nation and international attention? Hollywood celebrities, politicians and felons.
“ Bill related a few stories to me about his time in Viet Nam with one incident that preyed on his conscience ever since. His unit was sweeping through a village in what intelligence declared a "free fire zone", meaning there were not supposed to be any friendlies there. If someone was there, they were Viet Cong. He was young and scared spitless. As they were sweeping the village he heard a noise to his right rear and reacted by turning and firing at the silhouette of a man he saw. Unfortunately it was an old man was carrying in his arms a small girl about 7 years old. He killed both of them, not a Viet Cong. So much for there being no friendlies in the area.”
Relating this story about your FRIEND did not do service to him. Although it may have explained him dealing with PTSD. May he Rest In Peace finally.
Old 10-07-2020, 03:59 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

All I can say is "Ditto", to all the comments. May your buddy rest in Victory.
Old 10-07-2020, 04:55 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana1963 View Post
“ Bill related a few stories to me about his time in Viet Nam with one incident that preyed on his conscience ever since. His unit was sweeping through a village in what intelligence declared a "free fire zone", meaning there were not supposed to be any friendlies there. If someone was there, they were Viet Cong. He was young and scared spitless. As they were sweeping the village he heard a noise to his right rear and reacted by turning and firing at the silhouette of a man he saw. Unfortunately it was an old man was carrying in his arms a small girl about 7 years old. He killed both of them, not a Viet Cong. So much for there being no friendlies in the area.”
Relating this story about your FRIEND did not do service to him. Although it may have explained him dealing with PTSD. May he Rest In Peace finally.
I disagree, there are varying degrees of PTSD and causes for it. Just to say he had PTSD does not convey an understanding of the depth of mental and emotional pain he suffered with. I don't know how he was able to deal with it as well as he did. That was the reason I related his story, to show how strong of a man he was.
Old 10-07-2020, 05:25 PM

I have met so many vets in our Parkinson's support group. They were sprayed with agent orange. Many have died since I have met them.
Your friend was a hero to you, his family and his country.
Our Military have been used as Guinea pigs for chemicals, drugs and even nuclear bomb fall out.
God bless. I am sorry for your loss.
Old 10-07-2020, 05:47 PM

He is a Vietnam guy. We will always remember our brothers
Old 10-07-2020, 07:56 PM

Thank you for sharing.
Old 10-07-2020, 08:39 PM
Default I feel your Pain, Brother.

no explanation. No right or wrong. Our Country called, your friend answered the call. War is Hell. War with limiting rules is insanity. Get in, Get out.

My prayers to heal you from your lose.
Old 10-07-2020, 11:11 PM

So sorry for your loss. It is always hard to loose an old friend. May your memories of good times together help you with your grieving.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:50 PM

You shared a lovely story about your friend. He paid a heavy price for his service and we sincerely thank him. I read a quote recently that we all die twice - once when our spirit leaves our body and again when the last person says our name. He lives on with your stories. You are a good friend. Peace.
Old 10-16-2020, 06:25 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miriam2940 View Post
He was a true hero. May he Rest In Peace and may his memory be a blessing
Agree

Tags
viet, army, years, served, good

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.