poll about nutritional counseling

Closed Thread
Old 04-02-2015, 01:15 PM
Default poll about nutritional counseling

I am trying to go back to school to get into nutrition. However, for various reasons, I can not find a possible way to get a Florida license due to location of the 2 schools in FL that allow graduates to sit for licensure (some states do not require licensure, just a degree). Anyway, I can do online HOLISTIC nutrition and sit for national boards to become certified. My question is this: How many of you would consider obtaining nutrition counseling from a holistic nutritionist (holistic studies include vegan, vegetarian, macro and micro nutrients and different body systems). Also, insurances usually don't cover holistic nutritionists, only registered dietitians. Would you consider paying out of pocket to see one? (I paid about $100/hour and saw one every other week for a few months)
Please let me know so I know if there is a need for this here in The Villages.
Thank you!!!!
Old 04-02-2015, 01:55 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I love holistic. If you had a free one on one meet and greet where you provide an example of what you do, I would definitely schedule a time to meet. I would be more likely to "hire" if based on a flat fee rather than an hourly fee. You may want to focus on diabetes and related issues.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

No. I would prefer traditional medicine.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I wouldn't pay anything.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:02 PM
Veteran member

Unfortunately, while I am very interested and believe in holistic medicine, I would NOT pay for counseling.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:43 PM

VillagerJoyce, thank you for the ideas. I appreciate it. Keep the responses coming please, the rest-of-my-life career will depend on these responses.
And thank you for taking the time to reply
Old 04-02-2015, 04:20 PM
Sage
Thumbs up

In a retirement community I don't think you're going to get many takers at $100 an hour.

I think you need to offer such services in the $35 range.
First you're new at, second you start at lower cost per client to build a base and get referrals.

If you are asking if there is a need for such nutritional help I would say yes there is here.

For starters explain what the BMI's are around here.

Offer a free seminar with a movie on topic with a Q&A

with a 100 thousand folks here you can have a nice biz.

Old 04-02-2015, 05:45 PM
Gold member

I personally would not pay. Have learned a lot on my own through the yes so I have no need for counseling
Old 04-02-2015, 06:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,178 Times in 834 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinganimals View Post
I am trying to go back to school to get into nutrition. However, for various reasons, I can not find a possible way to get a Florida license due to location of the 2 schools in FL that allow graduates to sit for licensure (some states do not require licensure, just a degree). Anyway, I can do online HOLISTIC nutrition and sit for national boards to become certified. My question is this: How many of you would consider obtaining nutrition counseling from a holistic nutritionist (holistic studies include vegan, vegetarian, macro and micro nutrients and different body systems). Also, insurances usually don't cover holistic nutritionists, only registered dietitians. Would you consider paying out of pocket to see one? (I paid about $100/hour and saw one every other week for a few months)
Please let me know so I know if there is a need for this here in The Villages.
Thank you!!!!
If you are serious get a real degree from a real program and get a real license. When you get an online degree you cannot expect consumers to take your training and qualifications seriously. Yes it might be inconvenient, but so is getting a competent education for most everyone. That might explain why insurance doesn't pay for the "degree" you are considering
Old 04-02-2015, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
If you are serious get a real degree from a real program and get a real license. When you get an online degree you cannot expect consumers to take your training and qualifications seriously. Yes it might be inconvenient, but so is getting a competent education for most everyone. That might explain why insurance doesn't pay for the "degree" you are considering
It has nothing to do with online. Most all State universities offer online (North Carolina, Colorado, Kansas, etc) and are available for LICENSURE. The problem is that UFL does not offer it so any of the other state universities are almost double the price because I'm out of state tuition. Upwards of $70K+ for 2 years as I already have a Bachelor degree (just not in nutrition). Another 70K for a masters. I don't have 140K and doubt I could pay that back with the amount of years to work that I have left. Insurances don't pay for the degree because its Holistic and insurances will only pay for things that are traditional. Besides, I would still take an exam from a national board to be certified.
And Jim, thank you for the positive thoughts and suggestions. You are right in every aspect. Building a client base first with lower rates is a great idea. Thank you
Old 04-02-2015, 08:30 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

I wouldn't pay only for the reason I've never followed free advice on nutrition even thou I occasionally make a few wise decisions but not allways !
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.